NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Default Detroit Tiger Photos

Posted By: joe

Hello, I have (5) 3 x 5 black & white photos with 1 Detroit Tiger player with a coach or someone I don't recognize.

The photos include Greenberg, Owen, Simmons, Auker and Bridges. Anyone know who the other guy is:?

Here is the Greenberg with the Coach?

Thanks Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 03-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I don't recognize the old guy, but I just wanted to say that's a great photo. My favorite type -snapshots-..perhaps you could show us the other ones?

edited to add: the guy may actually not be that old....people just looked older than their age back then...especially ballplayers who played 154+ games in the sun every year.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Dan I know you like photos from your previous posts, here are the others.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 03-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Great photos...thanks for sharing. Since this guy is in every photo it's safe to say they came from his estate. Do you know where the photos originated?

Old 03-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Administrator

A few clues - the year has to be 1936 since that's the only year Al Simmons played for Detroit...and it's possible (probable) that this is at Spring Training because of the setting of the photos....They are all in uniform, but not at a stadium. Could be a spring training attendee that didn't make the roster....he is wearing a different colored cap than the players which lends credence to him being a minor leaguer asked to attend spring training.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Don't know for sure, I picked these up from an antique dealer about 20 years ago. Antique store was in Michigan. They look like spring training photos to me.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 03-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Administrator

If you can find out who was invited to spring training with the Tigers in 1936 (easier said than done) then you might be able to figure it out, but he does not look familiar to me.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

For some reason Del Baker is who I am thinking of. I don't have any reference material in front of me right now, and I could very well be wrong. I think he was with Detroit (as coach or manager) around this time as well. Again, could very well be wrong but that is the first name that popped into my head.
-Rhett

Old 03-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Rhett, pretty sure it is not Del Baker. He came to the Tigers as Manager in 1938. He was the Manager in 1940 when they won the Pennant. I looked in my World Series program for that year and it does not look like him.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 03-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Somewhere I have a photo of Del Baker and IIRC he was kind of a tall skinny guy.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Vincent

It's not Del Baker. Coaches during 1936 were Del Baker and Cy Perkins. It's not Perkins either.

I was hoping the hat might be a clue, but that appears to be similar to the white ones worn by Detroit in 1934/35. Not much help there.

He does look to be older (to my eyes). I'd hazard a guess that he's either affiliated with a Detroit minor league team, or possibly, a former Detroit player or coach who helps out in an advisory capacity. Many of those former players served as scouts in their post-playing days too.

Some names that come to mind are Jean Dubuc, Lefty Leifield, and Shag Shaughnessy. Dubuc would have been around 40-years old in 1936.

No reason for focusing on former pitchers (Dubuc, Leifield), other than Elden Auker looks real comfortable sitting next to the gentleman, and that Tommy Bridges was actually photographed with a smile (an a big smile at that).

Great photos, regardless. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Funny, Del Baker was my first thought too, but I did a Google image search last night and this fellow looks nothing like Baker.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

It's not Dubuc.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe

I want to thank everyone for checking this out. I am still trying, I hope someone comes up with an answer.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!