NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-16-2009, 06:20 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan51 View Post
We take our posts very seriously ...
Well at least someone does...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-16-2009, 06:43 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Well at least someone does...
Adam,

I think it would be wise if you, Jeff, and the other board attorneys stayed out of this for the time being. In the upcoming case of "Dorskind v. Dorskind", it's very likely that Archive will be named as an unindicted co-conspirator.

If that happens, all three (Dorskind, Dorskind, and Archive) will need legal representation and you could easily find yourself across the table from your own alter-ego.

This could get really messy.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:50 AM
Banned

Update: Another deal just closed.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:26 AM
Joe

You just can't make this stuff up!

As the saying goes;

"Sometimes life is better than fiction."
Old 12-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
I guess English grammar and usage were never emphasized at Ivy League schools.

Ivybonics.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:08 AM

reminds me of -

coke sues coke zero....

Old 12-16-2009, 02:20 PM

Default 2 trains of thought...

Two things come to mind:

The serious one:
1). If Bruce is able to complete that many deals in that short a period of time, then the items on his want list really must not be that tough to find after all.

The funny one
2). I didn't realize that paying the pizza delivery person, ordering something on Amazon, and paying the credit card, cable, and electric bill qualified as business deals. If that's the case, then by the time Christmas is over with, I'll be ready to start my own Mergers and Acquisitions firm.

Getting back on topic, Baker's response on the matter only helps to shovel more dirt on his nearly worthless reputation.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Let's see ... it's allegedly America's Toughest Want List. Yet seemingly whenever Bruce's name is mentioned anywhere on the board, the publicity leads to multiple offers to acquire "important" cards he needs. At this rate he'll own every baseball card in existence by the next presidential election. Well, at least the important ones.

Bruce certainly deserves the last laugh. Lord knows he's provided enough of them to the folks on this board.

Wait ... hear that? He just closed another megadeal.

Has anyone ever seen any of these cards show up in post. i mean if the cards are so Rare I sure as hell would post a pic or 2 every now and then for us to see. I haven't ever seen any of those cards and would love to. Hell I post pics of POS cards because I like them and maybe someone else will also.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:54 PM

Sean,

Just to make sure everyone is clear as to what you are talking about (dirt on reputation) I think you need to specify which Baker you are refering to; Mike Baker of GAI (not taking responsibility for grading these cards) or HRBaker (Ivybonics).

I am ASSUMING (and you KNOW what often happens when people do this) you are talking about Mike Baker and GAI but some people might think you are talking about HRBaker and his Ivybonics joke.

I thought that was funny but some people might have been offended and they might think you are talking about THAT Baker.

David
Old 12-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default The Group's defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
Has anyone ever seen any of these cards show up in post. i mean if the cards are so Rare I sure as hell would post a pic or 2 every now and then for us to see. I haven't ever seen any of those cards and would love to. Hell I post pics of POS cards because I like them and maybe someone else will also.
In the Group's defense they do own some very nice cards. I don't know about all of these current deals but their collection is high quality and real. I have seen many of their cards before. I don't believe ALL of the (current) deals they say they make though. Just call me "Mr.Skeptical"....best regards
Old 12-16-2009, 03:02 PM
D.B. Cooper

Quote:
This video has been posted before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx4eVGUmbaM

p.s. He garrotes the cameraman at the end of the video.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
I still kick myself for not saving the original post, so forgive me for going from memory here. Once, on the old board, Bruce explained that the reason he couldn't post scans of his numerous, rare, ultra-high-grade, important (OK, those last six words are my embellishment) acquisitions was because his scanner couldn't "communicate" with Net54's "software."

Like many of his posts, it made little to no sense. But like many of his posts, it was funny in its absurdity. That's why I remember it.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:13 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
I still kick myself for not saving the original post, so forgive me for going from memory here. Once, on the old board, Bruce explained that the reason he couldn't post scans of his numerous, rare, ultra-high-grade, important (OK, those last six words are my embellishment) acquisitions was because his scanner couldn't "communicate" with Net54's "software."

Like many of his posts, it made little to no sense. But like many of his posts, it was funny in its absurdity. That's why I remember it.
That's the problem with multiple scanners, you get your wires crossed.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Jim VB

Quote:

I don't think there is any dispute that Bruce has a pretty nice collection. I've seen the video, and have seen a couple of things that are pretty incredible (Boston Garter uncut strip, for example.)

I'm also unsure that he closes 3 new deals every time someone makes fun of him.

I also know that he is a Luddite when it comes to 21st century technology. A few years ago he wanted a copy of something I have, but needed me to print it and mail it because he hadn't mastered downloading electronic images. I know on the rare occasion he has offered something for the board to look at, he would forward it to Leon and have him post it.

Given the depth of his understanding on the "Archive" issue, I'm OK that he doesn't try to post images.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:18 PM

Default Sorry if it was unclear

I was indeed referring to Mike Baker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
Sean,

Just to make sure everyone is clear as to what you are talking about (dirt on reputation) I think you need to specify which Baker you are refering to; Mike Baker of GAI (not taking responsibility for grading these cards) or HRBaker (Ivybonics).

I am ASSUMING (and you KNOW what often happens when people do this) you are talking about Mike Baker and GAI but some people might think you are talking about HRBaker and his Ivybonics joke.

I thought that was funny but some people might have been offended and they might think you are talking about THAT Baker.

David
Old 12-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Barry Sloate

Bruce does indeed have a very nice collection, I have seen it many times. But he exaggerates his accomplishments because he always needs to have the last word.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:29 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Bruce does indeed have a very nice collection, I have seen it many times. But he exaggerates his accomplishments because he always needs to have the last word.

His entertainment value is certainly worth letting him have the last word. And kudos to him for a nice collection as well.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
I also know that he is a Luddite when it comes to 21st century technology.
Then again, if Hemingway were alive today, he would be, too.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default posted before...

As Jim mentioned the Group has sent me some pics to post before. They come over as weird file types but after working with them a bit I was able to post them. Here is one from their collection..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ofourbasehits.jpg (28.8 KB, 632 views)

Last edited by Leon; 12-16-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:49 PM
David McDonald

Rob D.: Here is the post I think you are referring to. The poster? Archive! Coincidence? I think not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snapshot 2009-12-16 12-43-29.jpg (48.9 KB, 627 views)
Old 12-16-2009, 04:01 PM
Banned

Thanks, David! It's even better than I remembered. Not "software" but "posting mechanism."

Good times, good times.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Michael S

Quote:
The first time I read it, I thought he was kidding. My initial reaction was, "Wow! I didn't know Bruce had a sense of humor." It took me all of 4 seconds to realize he was serious.

Edited to add: Leon, please lock this thread so it can't be "fixed."
I really doubt we need to worry about this

And I have not laughed this hard since watching "Kill The Umpire". Thanks all!
Old 12-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Jim VB

Here's one of the pretty nice items.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bostongarter.jpg (72.3 KB, 641 views)
Old 12-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Barry Sloate

That Boston Garter is of course spectacular.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

This is the funniest thread ever -- and I actually think Bruce is laughing a bit about it. Having met Bruce in person I can tell all that he is a very likeable guy. Of course, his owning that uncut BG strip which includes Hal Chase makes him extremely likeable in my eyes.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Banned

Update: Three more deals just closed.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Barry Sloate

Jeff- maybe you can talk Bruce into tearing off the Chase and selling it to you for a fair price...it would even constitute yet another closed deal.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Jeff- maybe you can talk Bruce into tearing off the Chase and selling it to you for a fair price...it would even constitute yet another closed deal.
Barry,
Do you know if that would leave each of the group with a Garter or not?
Old 12-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Barry Sloate

That would leave three panels and only two group members, but I'm not really sure...they're a slippery group, and not easy to pin down.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
That would leave three panels and only two group members, but I'm not really sure...they're a slippery group, and not easy to pin down.
Barry,

You're getting as bad as the rest of us!

By the way, for whatever it's worth, I'm sure the BG is for sale at the right price. I believe the one time Bruce speculated what it would take to get that away from him, his estimate was in the neighborhood of $250,000. That was several years ago and that neighborhood may have slipped, or climbed, in the interim.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Barry Sloate

Normally I remain neutral in Bruce's threads, but this one is so goofy I gave myself a free pass.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Jim VB

Well, I certainly don't mind!

Here'e the thread (from a little over a year ago) where he offered to sell the card to Jeff (OK, really to anyone.)

http://www.network54.com/Forum/15365...Would+It+Take-
Old 12-16-2009, 07:23 PM

The Boston Garter uncut sheet is superb but many of us have an item in our personal collection which, although perhaps valued less than the Garter sheet, we would not trade for that sheet.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive View Post
Posted By: Bruce Dorskind

The back refers to Mickey Cochrane which makes the whole thing even more of
a mystery.

Why did GAI assume it was from Goudey and from 1938.

We should hear from the Chief Grader at GAI

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Bruce- may I recommend that you just laugh at your goof. Laughter is the best medicine and it would make you seem more human.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
The Boston Garter uncut sheet is superb but many of us have an item in our personal collection which, although perhaps valued less than the Garter sheet, we would not trade for that sheet.
tbob,

I agree, I would not sell my dad's set of 1932 NY Giants Schedule Postcards. I would have trouble selling any of the cards I got from him. But this assumption starts with the idea that many of us hold something that has more than monetary value to us.

I don't know if Bruce has anything fitting that description.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Pup6913

Haven't been around long enough to know any of this. Thanks for the you tube hit and the pics of those items. They are great. I assumed it was all talk and no action because I always hear alot of you giving him a hard time. I am confused as to why he has a you tube video but can't work a pic download. I read the post about why he doesn't post pics but that sounds more like a run around. The video really didn't show anything spectacular either, but the pics did.

Well I hope we all get to see more of this collection or any others out there. I am aware most of us have a pic of one of or best items or rarest on our computer (hopefully they are locked away for safety reasons). Sounds like a good thread to start. Would love to see them.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

Whats the problem on this board? Is it only a certain few that can respond on this board? I responded to something before and its gone. Why? Rob
Old 12-16-2009, 10:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigb13 View Post
Whats the problem on this board? Is it only a certain few that can respond on this board? I responded to something before and its gone. Why? Rob
Nothing is wrong with this board. Nothing is gone. You act like an idiot...anymore questions?
Old 12-17-2009, 12:40 AM

bigb13,

Maybe that sinister Archive fellow is to blame!!!

I mean, maybe since some posters on this board have gone back to the old board and "borrowed" content from there and brought it over here that Archive felt the need to "borrow" some content from this board and take it back over there. You know, to sort of even things out.

Maybe you should go over there and check to see if what you posted here is now located over there. While you are at it, maybe you can also check to see if The Dorskind Group has made any more deals.

It could very well be that the Bruceii have used their Ivy league education to figure out a way to post to the old board and get items for their Most Wanted List at prices from five to 10 years ago and then be able to value or sell them at today's prices.

In short, they have found a worm hole in the time-space continuum between this board and the old board (which is also used by Archive) and are using what they know now to go back in time and buy undervalued cards and memorabilia at vastly reduced prices.

David
Old 12-17-2009, 03:13 AM
Yankeefan51

Default Boston Garter

Whilst we don't want to interrupt your fun, and recognize there are only a handful of Board Members who could

(a) appreciate the sheet and its history
(b) sell their entire collection for the value the Garter Sheet would realize

We thought you would like to know that the piece was discovered by Mr. Mint in the late 1980's... he didn't know what it was and sold it for a song to
Bill Mastro who sold it to Rob Lifson, who sold it to us.

We have been offered 20x what we paid for the panel. And three major auction houses have offered to feature on their cover, and give us part of their commission in order to obtain the item.

As for selling it...while the Chase is on...there is very little Chance

Bruce
Old 12-17-2009, 03:27 AM
Yankeefan51

Default Rob D's Special Request

[Q

Rob -yesterday we received an inquiry from a collector who we don't and who to the best of our knowledge has never posted.

He mentioned your Wanted a copy of... in his e-mail. We spoke on the phone, and we were able to obtain two Negro League items for a very modest cost.

Just wanted to say thank you..and let you that for $25,000 (cash or certified check)- we will send you individual photos of all items in our collection valued at $1000 or more. Each item will be photographed next to our want list, and we'll even throw in the Archive Post

As point of interest, Rob D has been more than happy to sell us items including two in 2009. So we assume that money is far more important
to him that he states.

Happy Holidays .... Rob

When shall we call the photographer?
Old 12-17-2009, 04:47 AM
Banned

Wow, Bruce, where to start?

I read your last post three times in an effort to decipher what you're trying to say. I'll respond the best I can.

I think you're offering to mail me photos of your collection if I pay you $25,000? Bruce, I've never asked you to post anything from your collection. Frankly, your collection matters little to me. I merely explained above one of the ridiculous reasons you've given for not posting photos of the items you say you own.

As for me selling you items: About two years ago, before I learned more about you and your comical reputation on the board, I sold you a complete set of Sports Scoops magazines. The price was less than $300. It took you more than two weeks to mail your check to me.

Earlier this year, you were the high bidder on a hobby periodical once owned by Buck Barker that I posted on the B/S/T's auction section. The sale price was $26. After 10 days of the auction ending, your payment had not arrived.

After two e-mails to you went unanswered, you finally explained that your "assistant" addressed the envelope incorrectly and the letter was returned to you. You said that payment would be overnighted to me. Six days later your check finally arrived. Unfortunately, by then I had misplaced the periodical (and still haven't found it, gosh darn it), so I could not complete our deal. I returned your check, with an apology, along with a first-class stamp to refund the postage it cost you to mail the letter.

Bruce, I welcome you to challenge me on the accuracy of what I've described. I've kept every e-mail you've ever sent me (you can do that, you know) and have documented both transactions in which you've been slow to deliver payments of relatively modest amounts. At least one other respected board member has posted of a similar experience with you.

So, bottom line: I've sold you one item ... ever. None in 2009. Bruce, you've misstepped here. Badly.

Finally, I'm not sure where I stated that money is not important to me, as you ascertain. But, honestly, you criticizing anyone about their regard for money is the perfect example of the pot calling the kettle black.

Congratulations in advance for the six deals that no doubt will result from this post, allowing you to buy ultra-high-grade, rare items for mere pennies on the dollar.

Last edited by Rob D.; 12-17-2009 at 05:12 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:11 AM
Barry Sloate

Bruce- I wish you would lighten up a little and not be so antagonistic every time you post. You made a nutty comment when you threatened to sue Archive; I guess you realize by now that you are Archive and that you threatened to sue yourself. It was funny, we all had a laugh, and now we can move on. But you can't seem to find any humor in the goings on around here. As you like to say, it's a war- a constant war that never ends, with anyone and everyone. Why? What do you get out of it? I am baffled.

And if you are going to persist in telling us all about your Ivy League degrees, why not spend a moment proofreading your posts before you send them. They are always full of errors of every kind.

And please have a little more respect for all of us and not say that every time you start a train wreck, the result is somebody offers you an ultra rare card for less than its market value. Thank you. And no private emails- please keep it on the board.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:16 AM
Joann

Rob - but did you email Wharty three times asking for advise on how these high-roller transactions work? Maybe two weeks is normal for a $26 check.

Seriously folks, how in the world did I miss this thread? I could have been walking around mysteriously snickering for the past two days and missed the chance. HAH! There's two days I'll never get back.

Joann
Old 12-17-2009, 06:51 AM
Joe

Quote:
Sorry Barry. This is the only time I get to correct you on a post. You've missed a personality. We now have an assistant that mailed a check to the wrong address in the mix. Two plus one makes three and there would be one for everyone.

Bruce, Nothing personal, even you should see the humor in your original post.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:32 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dueces View Post
Sorry Barry. This is the only time I get to correct you on a post. You've missed a personality. We now have an assistant that mailed a check to the wrong address in the mix. Two plus one makes three and there would be one for everyone.
I doubt Bruce would let a mere assistant become a name partner in The Group. Besides I'm not sure he's yet figured out how to use an assistant; they keep quitting after he threatens to sue them for bringing him coffee he requested.

Last edited by Matt; 12-17-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:02 AM
Al

Antagonistic. That's a great word.

Bruce, I met you earlier this year and found you to be a very nice, personable man. What you did a couple of days ago in this thread was funny! It was an accident, brought on by that antagonistic message board attitude that you sometimes have. It was funny, and we had fun with it!

If I had done the same thing, everyone would have had just as much fun!

"Aww, shucks, I goofed" is an endearing response when a mistake such as that is made.

Your collection, by all accounts, is wonderful, and your knowledge of the hobby is right up there with all the other hobby experts (myself definitely NOT included) who post on this board. You could be an outstanding resource here. I'm sure that being helpful and personable and friendly would not hurt your quest for rare, high-grade items - in fact, it might actually help it.

You could certainly get a lot more out of this board, and the hobby in general, than you presently do - it's sort of a give and take thing. But if you continuously antagonize, you've got to expect a little abuse in return. You can choose to hit back harder, I suppose - some of us do that - but all that really does is create a never-ending cycle. That's no fun.

BTW, be careful with your posts in this thread. Archive might get upset that you're posting with his ID and sue you.

-Al
Old 12-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default innocent mistake

Just to pile on the fact that it's not a big deal, I too think an innocent mistake is just that, innocent and no big deal. I wish this mistake Brucii made was even in the top 200 that I have ever made. I would be clicking my heels and happy as a lark. When you can laugh at yourself is the time you know you have your esteem in the correct place. I am not sure the Group is there yet. The other day I went around all day wearing one of my T-shirts inside out. My 13 yr old pointed it out. We had a great laugh. That is what life is all about. Afterwards I went ahead and put it on, right side out. Who cares? Life is too short not to be able to laugh at yourself. best regards
Old 12-17-2009, 08:18 AM
Barry Sloate

Wearing a T-shirt inside out?!?! Unfathomable, and unforgivable.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default email sent

Quote:
Wearing a T-shirt inside out?!?! Unfathomable, and unforgivable.
Death threat sent!!