NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-17-2007, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Default ebay bidder dan.netscape.net-- t214 card on ebay

Posted By: RC McKenzie

There is a beater t214 card on ebay that is being shilled by the seller, cappiello5953 with his other name dan.netscape.net.. dan.netscape.net has blown by me, dylan and glenv and is probably going to win this 'beater'. Apparently, dan.netscape really loves to bid on cappiello's auctions as he has 44 feedback rating with 300 positives, most of which have been heaped upon him from cappiello. Ebay needs to open back up the process. The only way I know what's going on is that the card is such a beater it can't make it to $200 no matter how many times dan.netscapes bids. Regards

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=dan.netscape.net&iid=200

Old 03-18-2007, 06:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill

The thing about it though is that this bidder is winning a lot of the auctions that are put up by the seller. If he was shill bidding, wouldn't he back off and not lead/win so many auctions? I have seen some people with a boatload of feedback from one person before in the world of baseball cards. Back in the day when communication was easy between fellow members, you could talk to the people. It was simply a matter of the seller having what they wanted and trusting the seller.

I won a large lot of '52 Topps on ebay a few years back and split it up. I would say a good 40-50% of the cards went to one bidder in particular. He liked the items and trusted me. That could be all. I have a hard time believing someone is shill bidding when they keep winning so many of the auctions.

Change your socks, drink water, and drive on.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Hey Bill,

I agreed with your post. I bid with sellers I've bought from before, if I like their grading and service. I sometimes make multiple bids to save postage. I don't think that's what's going on here. Look again and see what that 'winner' is winning... an odd selection of stuff. I think shilling may well be what's happening here.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:37 AM
Administrator

I know it looks suspicious, however I don't think this is a case of shill bidding. He has plenty of feedback from this one seller. However, go through at least the first 5-6 pages of his feedback. If you read the feedback he has left, you get an idea of what he is bidding on. For the most part, he sticks with only a few sellers at a time, for a good number of auctions. Judging from what he bids on, and it looks like a lot of coins, this bidder may just be all about collectables. Who knows, maybe he runs a shop or something? And like I said, to be winning all these auctions does not lend me to believe it's shill bidding. Either that or he has no idea how to shill.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

dan.netscape.net and cappiello5953 may be the same person.

If you look at the feedback left for dan.netscape.net by cappiello5953 and the feedback left for others by dan.netscape.net you will find several similarities including the fact that they both use " - " between the E and B in the words Ebay and EBayer. When leaving feedback for others they both have a tendency not put spaces after the punctuation in sentences.

cappiello5953-

quick payment,and pleasant to work with,thanks!

dan.netscape.net-

Very nice coin,fast delivery,will buy again. A +++++

I have busted several shill bidders with this type of "evidence".

Now I can't say for a certainty that this is shill. however if it were me bidding, I'd be suspicious and when it comes to spending money, suspicion is usually enough for me to take a pass.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:57 AM
Administrator

..is to see how long it takes for someone on the board to alert one or both of these guys about this thread. I'll be surprised if we don't see a post by either party within 48 hours.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:04 PM
Administrator

I don't know ebay's policy, but I would think that if both the seller and buyer leave feedback for eachother, and both are positive comments, would ebay give back any credit on a non-paying bidder? Because if not, that would be a great waste of money being that the discussed bidder has won a lot of this guys auctions. All that money spent for what, a positive feedback?

In regards to the use of the typing, I've seen that same description of what you are saying all over ebay feedbacks by plenty of people. It's nothing unusual.

In regards to your comment about it being 'sad' if someone informs these people about this thread. Isn't it more sad that this discussion is going on about them behind their backs? I'm not writing to either of them but it's usually more pathetic to not bring the involved person into a conversation or even better, bid on their auctions intentionally while knowing that you won't pay, only because you 'think' it's a shill bidder in action and not knowing what the real story is. As some on this board are inclined to do.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:35 PM
Administrator

"In regards to the use of the typing, I've seen that same description of what you are saying all over ebay feedbacks by plenty of people. It's nothing unusual."

I'm sure in 9 out of 10 cases it's not unusual, but in my experience outing shillers there have been many cases where the feedback has often been similar in this way. It isn't an indictment, but it is a red flag.

"In regards to your comment about it being 'sad' if someone informs these people about this thread. Isn't it more sad that this discussion is going on about them behind their backs? I'm not writing to either of them but it's usually more pathetic to not bring the involved person into a conversation or even better, bid on their auctions intentionally while knowing that you won't pay, only because you 'think' it's a shill bidder in action and not knowing what the real story is. As some on this board are inclined to do."

I do agree that each side should have a chance to present their side. My comment had to do more with the fact that board members are not as supportive as they once were and that there are some who would like to tattle about this thread just to drum something up. Everytime an Ebay Seller is outed for something they always miraculously make their way to this board and a war ensues. Since I didn't include the the Ebayers in question in the discussion and offered an opinion that is less then positive does that mean I'm pathetic?

I think that it was proper to post this thread and there are a few red flags that may point to shilling. If I'm wrong, I'll be more than willing to admidt it. If others disagree and prefer to throw caution to the wind for the sake of not hurting anyone's feelings, then by all means bid away.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

is some kid who thinks he knows cards. he wrote me after selling me an overgraded card explaining his logic of how grading works.....something (quote) like this:

"As far as "trimming" or ungradeable get a clue.Bought the card from coin dealer(it was so long ago coin dealers were major dealers of cards before shops),for $1.Dealer had no reason or money to make by trimming.Trimmed cards usually look straight and sharp.If it's odd-sized,it has to due with manufactor error,not human greed.Not for a dollar or $225.Ungradeable!A poor condition card(holes,writing,severe creases)have value,and are to book around 5-10% of price guide.This card had none of those flaws,and grades g-vg at worst and because of added scarcity over T206's and such, adds a little more value.Don't know if you're buying for your self or trying to re-sell,but you might try following your own advice:"No crying in baseball collecting".

The guy is brilliant if you have the IQ of a gnat!

BcD

Old 03-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Dale

Probably the most compelling argument for this being a SHILL is that the buyer (dan.netscape.net) likes caps trading cards, his teddy bears and his dolls.....if dan was only buying one of these it might provide for an adequate defense.

Someone mentioned its not shill bidding because he's winning the auctions - true - the term is protecting or shielding low bids from winning the auction and of course making the item look like its worth more for a future sale.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

Just because someone is potentially winning a lot of their own auctions doesnt mean their not shill bidding. They could be protecting their investment, setting a reserve, and if it doesnt reach that price theyed assume hold on to it. In this case when you have a seller selling many different types of items, and a bidder bidding on all of them, whether teddy bears or baseball cards, that is extremly suspicious. And so what if this thread is talked about without this guy involved. Is he a net54 member? Anyone personally know him? If he wants to defend himself great, but its not a neccisity. From what i can tell it looks to be a pretty indefencible position the guys in anyways