NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-02-2003, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Default Power Sellers

Posted By: Elliot 

Here's another sterling example of a power seller. Too boot, this guy has no negs. Makes you wonder.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=drbond02&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25

Old 03-02-2003, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Default Power Sellers

Posted By: runscott

this is so blatant it's ludicrous

Old 03-02-2003, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Default Power Sellers

Posted By: ty_cobb

Notice how he says 'Major vintage trading card
collection just acquired.' Must be the prestigious
Tuttle collection. What a grotesque...er' Tuttlesque
T206 Cobb. Who is the Tracer Grading Co. ? Never
heard of 'em.

Old 03-02-2003, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Default Power Sellers

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewListedItems&userid=feldman234&include=0&since=30&sort=3&rows=25

Old 03-02-2003, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Default Power Sellers

Posted By: Jeff S

It's like they'll let anybody be a powerseller these days!

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/psa1/

Old 03-02-2003, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Default Power Sellers

it's a complete waste of my time, even though the evidence is damning - they completely ignore me.

Old 03-02-2003, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Default Power Sellers

Posted By: MW

What a bunch of pathetic, crappy reprints with a few real cards thrown in to make the auctions look legitimate. It's dog crap like this that makes buying and selling raw cards on eBay more difficult. If the auctions were public, one might think that the seller really isn't aware that he's selling 5-cent reprints; but the fact that most of the auctions are private should result in an immediate suspension of this blatant rip-off artist.

Old 03-02-2003, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Default Power Sellers

Posted By: jay behrens

I noticed that too. All the cards taht look bogus are private auctions. No way you can tell me this guy doesn't know they are reprints.

Jay

Old 03-03-2003, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Default Power Sellers

I informed "drbond" that his cards were reprints and he went off - lawyer threats, libel, slander, every 4-letter word he could think of.

He finally settled down and sent me a copy of an ebay transaction showing that he paid over $600 for it under a different ebay i.d. from "fluffylynx" (second link below). His logic apparently is that since he bought it as "real", then it's fine for him to sell it as "real", even though he now knows from the feldman234 link I provided him that it's an "old replica". But, of course, he said that he doesn't think the scans look the same - this guy is simply amazing!

Oddly, fluffylynx also used the same scans from the feldman234 auction, as did drbond. Feldman is selling multiple '33 Ruths, for example, using a single scan, and then people like fluffylinx and drbond are re-selling them as "real", using the same exact scan! These people are in such a hurry to get rich quick, and so damned lazy, that they don't even bother to scan the reprints once they receive them! ...or do they ever actually receive them?

Well, it looks like drbond actually paid over $600 for the '33 Ruth forgery, and now he's probably wondering how he can get his money back. But rather than seeking legal recourse against fluffylynx, it looks like instead he will try to re-coup his losses from some other poor schmuck. While illegal and fraudulent, this practice has become the new "American Way". BTW, no - drbond has not cancelled his auction, despite now possessing all the proof he needs that he is selling a forgery.

Here are links to the three iterations of the same card, all incredibly using the same exact scan!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31722&item=2712488347
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2713890177
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31722&item=2714474224

Old 03-03-2003, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Default Power Sellers

If feldman234 sold this card to fluffylynx and fluffylynx sold it to drbond, then why is the fluffylynx scan slightly different, but the other two are exactly the same? This "links" feldman234 directly to drbond. Sheesh - what, do these guys have some huge ring of thieves working in tandem?

Old 03-03-2003, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Default Power Sellers

Posted By: petecld

"drbond02" is an outright crook. He's full of sh** when he says he bought the card under "fluffylynx". Compare the top edges very carefully. They look different to me. Not the same card and that would also explain the different scans. He just trying to mislead you.

But, compare the past sales of "feldman234" cards (as reprints) to the current offerings of "drbond02" and you'll see "drbond02" is using the exact same scans as "feldman234" did on these cards:

T205 Cobb
T205 Matty
1933 Goudey Ruth #144
1933 Goudey Gehrig
Sports Kings Thorpe
E95 Wagner

Of course, "drbond02" is selling these cards as real. But "feldman234" sold these 6 cards to all different biddrs so i don't even know if "drbond02" even has the cards.

Old 03-03-2003, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Default Power Sellers

He didn't actually say he bought it from Fluffylynx - instead, he just sent me a copy of that ebay link with no supporting verbage. But since "drbond" used all the same scans as feldman's auctions, this is a no-brainer.

Old 03-05-2003, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Default Power Sellers

And it looks like he's going to do quite well selling these forgeries in private auctions.

I get the feeling that no one's too concerned, but I think you should be. With all the Feldmans circulating now, some of you will eventually end up buying one - I've already had board members send me links to fake card auctions, asking what a fair price would be. The Matty auction is ridiculous, but I bet the t205 Cobb would fool a few of you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2714479539&category=31719
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2714477536&category=31719

Old 03-05-2003, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Default Power Sellers

Posted By: Jeff M

Scott,
When looking for a reprinted T-205s what are some off the things that you would look for?
Thanks Jeff

Old 03-05-2003, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Default Power Sellers

Posted By: Hankron

My rule of thumb. Don't bid in private eBay auctions, unless there are exceptional and legitimate reasons (selling a T205 Christy Mathewson ain't one of them). Private auctioneers usually don't want you to see the bids/bidders for the same reason Enron didn't want anyone to see their books. Do you think it's a coincidence that private auctions are the choice of Roy Huff and whover is selling the latest 'Authentic T206 Honus Wagner'?

Old 03-05-2003, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Default Power Sellers

I thought it worth pointing out that if beginners simply followed the above rule of thumb and avoided private eBay auctions, they would have absolutely no trouble with the above mentioned reprints and AAA cutouts-- because they wouldn't be bidding in drBond's or Roy Huff's auctions.

Old 03-05-2003, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Default Power Sellers

Hi Hankron,
I never bid on those private auctions.I seen when that guy listed those auctions but thought his B.I.N. prices seemed low.I was wondering if there was a way you could detect reprint T-205s and what to look for.Thank you for the info.Jeff

Old 03-05-2003, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Default Power Sellers

...unless it's someone you know and trust. Scott Gaynor does these occasionally (or used to) and his were apparently used for high-end stuff, to simulate a real auction - I have no problem at all bidding on Scott's private auctions. In fact, I think Scott's use of private auctions is probably how ebay intended for them to be used, not as a means of hiding shill bids and keeping novices in the dark.

As far as telling a fake from a scan, I can almost always spot a fake t206 from an ebay scan, and t205's normally look like DrBond's Matty, so those should be easy to spot as well. His Cobb; however, is much more real-looking. I don't collect t205's, so I'll leave it to others to describe what to look for - I'm sure there are those on this board who think the t205 Cobb is a terrible forgery, I'm just not that good at it.

I also suggest that if you have a card in mind that you would like to bid on or purchase, and you have doubts, contact someone on the board that knows that particular issue - most people don't mind answering questions. I get questions all the time and my rule of thumb is simple: if it looks questionable, either ask for a clearer scan or don't bid. Quite seriously, 9 out of 10 times I get an equally crumby scan or a "broken printer" excuse when I ask for a clearer scan.

Old 03-05-2003, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Default Power Sellers

Thanks Scott

Old 03-05-2003, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Default Power Sellers

Posted By: B C Daniels

Do you collect them? I thought photos is your gig!

Old 03-05-2003, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Default Power Sellers

one or two

Old 03-05-2003, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Default Power Sellers

not something I'm proud to admit