NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-21-2014, 03:23 PM
Jason Wells

Default New SGC Look?

I just went to log in and saw the new setup.Im looking it over now. It looks like the flips will indeed be changed.

Last edited by Jason; 05-21-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:49 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

It definitely looks sleeker. However, IMHO, it could still use some improvements:

(1) How do I look at my past submissions?
(2) There is an Auto Verify. How about a regular cert verify also?
(3) The Population report could still use a lot of fixing. First, you cannot search by year for the set that you want. Not sure why they removed this feature. Also the searches don't work very well. For example, I did a search on the set name e121-80, and it came up with no results found. Then I did e121, and it found a couple of sets, but no players were in these sets. If they allowed search by year, then at least you wouldn't have to guess at what could be the correct set name. Also when I did a search on Player Name for Babe Ruth, I got a long list of practically incomprehensible search results. I had to basically click on each link to try to find the ones that would be useful. Still, the look is better than before as it looks like the population search results are now sorted correctly, and you don't have to click on multiple pages to see the cards in the set. I think it's a good step in the right direction, overall.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:56 PM

Don't mind the graded cards one, but not a fan of the Authentic (auto) one.

Site looks good. Pop reports are now much easier to use, but still could be better. For instance, you can't type in T207 as the set...you have to type in Recruit. Similarly you can't type in M116...you have to type Sporting Life.

Cheers,
Blair
Old 05-21-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
It definitely looks sleeker. However, IMHO, it could still use some improvements:

For example, I did a search on the set name e121-80, and it came up with no results found. Then I did e121, and it found a couple of sets, but no players were in these sets. If they allowed search by year, then at least you wouldn't have to guess at what could be the correct set name.
I think you'll have to type American Caramel to get the true results.

Cheers,
Blair
Old 05-21-2014, 04:03 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Ugh not liking that they changed the authentication labels. The new design is going to throw off the aesthetic and uniformity of my old SGC holders when the new ones are placed next to them (now that the green border is gone). I don't know why they changed the label so "dramatically." At least when PSA redesigned their holders they didn't change the label design.

The OCD part of me doesn't like this new move. I wonder if for the time being you can still get the old label when grading your cards through SGC over the next few months.

But, atleast they are attempting to improve their website.

Last edited by The Nasty Nati; 05-21-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:05 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Is there a place to check current submissions?
Old 05-21-2014, 04:34 PM
Alex

I still don't understand why I can't enter a serial number and find out what's it linked to.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:46 PM
qualitycards

Been on their site a few times today and was quite a shock to see all the changes.
Here's what the new flips look like

Old 05-21-2014, 04:49 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Is there a place to check current submissions?
Jeff, been looking all day and I couldn't find it for past or current submission status.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Just from the pic those flips look very easy to counterfeit. Hopefully there is something on the back, or not visible, that would make that difficult.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-21-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:04 PM
Robert Williams

I am not a fan of those flips......
Old 05-21-2014, 05:06 PM
Jason Wells

Yeah im not a fan of the new flips. I just think they do not look as nice as the old ones. Maybe that will change once I get one in hand.

Last edited by Jason; 05-21-2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

I'm not a fan of the new design either nor the loss of cards from my registry. Not quite sure how it doesn't transfer from the old to new? I'm hoping it will be a quick fix with an email.

r/
Frank
Old 05-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

I can still see past submissions. First impression, not digging the new flip.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:13 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

can't wait to re-holder my collection with those god-awful flips!
Old 05-21-2014, 05:14 PM
Ken McMillan

I have a card there currently for grading. Personally, I hope it has the old style flip on it. One of my things in having a graded collection is I want the cards to look like they go together. New flips kind of make my display appear less than desirable and now it would look like a mix of different graded cards. Might as well start mixing in some PSA cards and get the same appearance.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:18 PM
Sebastian

I don't like the flips, they feel very generic to me, and as stated above it will stick out like a sore thumb in my collection. Thats my biggest impression, registry I can adjust to.. but this will take some time for me.

Last edited by sebie43; 05-21-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:20 PM
Ken McMillan

Also found my user name and password do not work. I called and they said they still have some bugs to work out. Sometimes change is good but would recommend that you have the bugs worked out before you go live with a website
Old 05-21-2014, 05:43 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
I can still see past submissions. First impression, not digging the new flip.

Chris, where did you find the submission status?
I've been looking everywhere on their new site and didn't see it
Old 05-21-2014, 05:43 PM

Changing the flips is a major mistake in my opinion, as others have stated they have no resemblance to the current ones and will make sets and collections non-cohesive. At least when PSA makes changes to the flips they somewhat resemble the older ones. And just when I thought I might go ALL SGC with my set????
Old 05-21-2014, 05:45 PM
Robert

not sure if I like those FLIPs at all.........Ive got a few sets im working on and about mid-way done. Wish there would have been a vote or something.

Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 05-21-2014, 05:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Chris, where did you find the submission status?
I've been looking everywhere on their new site and didn't see it
Browne is so technologically hip he probably just hacked and reprogrammed the site.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:50 PM
Greg Mitchell

I think SGC is responsive to what's often posted here--and perhaps it's too late in this case--but near-universal disdain for the new flips might have some effect. So keep it up. I agree that some will say the hell with them now that the look won't even come close to matching the old...
Old 05-21-2014, 05:53 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Love SGC, hate the news flips. This may cost them my business
Old 05-21-2014, 05:53 PM
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post
I think SGC is responsive to what's often posted here--and perhaps it's too late in this case--but near-universal disdain for the new flips might have some effect. So keep it up. I agree that some will say the hell with them now that the look won't even come close to matching the old...

Greg I hope you are right. I liked the old flip quite a bit. Kinda had a museum quality to it in my opinion. May give ole Earl a call tomorrow and see if the new design is the final verdict.
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 05-21-2014, 05:55 PM
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
Love SGC, hate the news flips. This may cost them my business
Dan I wonder if they changed the back of the holder to add some type of hologram or something different to stop fakes? The new website design is great but the holder not so much. I have a submission on its way back now.......hoping they used the older flip.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:00 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
Dan I wonder if they changed the back of the holder to add some type of hologram or something different to stop fakes? The new website design is great but the holder not so much. I have a submission on its way back now.......hoping they used the older flip.
Whether they have a hologram or not the design is just aesthetically unappealing and, like others have mentioned, it disrupts any uniformity with former SGC slabs. Sometimes change is good, but unfortunately not in this case.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:02 PM
Seth

Same as others, I like SGC, but I'm not a fan of the new flips at all. The green border was sharp and elegant with the black background. And anyone working on a set will not like having mixed flips from now on...

Last edited by sgbernard; 05-21-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:04 PM
Robert

Just sent an email to Earl and Sean (ejohnson@sgccard.com and sskeffington@sgccard.com to see if they could read our posts and concerns.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:06 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There will be an archived submission status very, very soon(if not already there). It is the last thing to be populated to the new site. There are watermarks on the new flips that can't be seen from scans. They are much more difficult to counterfeit or reproduce and are much safer. This info from Sean Skeffington their VP of operations.

I haven't given much thought to the flips yet but off hand they don't look that bad. They won't be like all of my others but I am not sure I care. I know I am in the minority so far and everyone is entitled to my opinion .

I should add that although the new flips don't look bad, the old ones are much more attractive.

Last edited by Leon; 05-21-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:07 PM
Alex

SGC had the best looking holders on the market. Those flips change that in my mind.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:10 PM
Val Kehl

IMHO, the old flips have a much classier look than the new flips. It always amazes me how a seemingly-unnecessary business decision can have a real negative effect on a company's business.
Val
Old 05-21-2014, 06:10 PM
Robert

Leon thanks for the information.........do you know if the watermarks are visible?
Old 05-21-2014, 06:12 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
Leon thanks for the information.........do you know if the watermarks are visible?
I was out when Sean left the voice mail but my understanding is yes they are visible in person but not from a scan. Don't hold my feet to the fire but I am pretty sure he said they are visible in person.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:12 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

I recall seeing this flip prior and thinking it was just a mockup. Hopefully they can change it back, need the green border.

Registry hack
http://69.95.102.243/sgcweb/SignIn.aspx
Old 05-21-2014, 06:24 PM
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I was out when Sean left the voice mail but my understanding is yes they are visible in person but not from a scan. Don't hold my feet to the fire but I am pretty sure he said they are visible in person.
Roger that brother.........thanks Leon! I always enjoy talking with Sean and Earl. I still believe they have the best customer service out there!
Old 05-21-2014, 06:41 PM
Greg Mitchell

Yes, if they put a green border back on it might be acceptable even with new typeface etc.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:44 PM
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post
Yes, if they put a green border back on it might be acceptable even with new typeface etc.
I agree!!! Good point
Old 05-21-2014, 06:46 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Not liking the new labels at all...have to agree with the other 99% of collectors here. They look like something that was designed and printed quickly, without much thought given to proper aesthetics or the value of brand-name recognition. SGC really should have gotten more customer feedback before going forward with this.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:53 PM
Bill Gregory

Wait, what the hell?

Horrible, horrible business decision. I will never own a card with this new flip. It's a real eyesore. If I find a card I like, I will send it in to PSA as a crossover.

I have ten cards that I was about to submit to SGC for grading, and several crossovers to follow. If that's the flip they're using, forget it. I'll go to PSA for all my card grading. That's too bad, too, because I've always heard SGC has the best customer service.

Why the heck would they do this? One of the biggest selling points about SGC graded cards was the eye appeal of the slabbed card. The flip they've had popped. It looked really good. This new one looks like something I'd print out on my home computer.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 05-21-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:57 PM

Default New flip sucks

I do not like new flip. Looks like generic home computer job.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:59 PM
Kenny Cole

Agree, the new flips suck. Also don't like that checking current and past submissions doesn't currently appear to be possible. Maybe the pop reports and registry information is better. I don't know because I haven't checked, but the new flips and inability to check submission status are a massive step backward IMO.
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Keep the new watermark but bring back the green borders. That will make everything better. If they don't change the new look I'd wish they'd at least give us a few months to have cards graded with the old labels, as I'm so close to finishing subsets that are all in the now "old" SGC label. That or give loyal customers a discount on re-holdering fees.

Love the company, but this doesn't seem like a very smart move.

Last edited by The Nasty Nati; 05-21-2014 at 07:02 PM.

Only beneficiary of this new flip ... PSA.
Rich Klein

At a show, those designs will not stick out. They need to be more colorful.

Say what you want about Beckett grading but the Gold and Silver labels truly stand out at a show. These labels look like they belong to a PRO or an MGS

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 05-21-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:05 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ŘΝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
These labels look like they belong to a PRO or an MGS
That is exactly what I was thinking. They look like they were produced by one of the generic "companies" that only slab fake material.

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 05-21-2014, 07:08 PM
Bill Gregory

I don't get this. The presentation SGC had with the black gasket, the professional, well-organized flip with the green header, everything looked incredible.

Why do they feel the need to mess with perfection?

This is going to bite them in the behind.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:09 PM
Tony N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
These labels look like they belong to a PRO or an MGS

Rich
Ditto.

I don't like the new labels. I agree they should use an enhanced watermark on the flip for security measures, but bring back the green border.

Tony
Old 05-21-2014, 07:21 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Been on their site a few times today and was quite a shock to see all the changes.
Here's what the new flips look like

Looks like something I could make at home on my printer. Why??!!
Old 05-21-2014, 07:31 PM
Matt E.
Banned

SGC,

A fix or two needed; on the SGC Power Ratings

The Wallace, No Cap One Line of 1910 Stats, is clearly harder to obtain the the Two Lines. The SGC power rating is wrong.

209 Bobby Wallace (No Cap, Two Lines Of 1910 Stats) 3
210 Bobby Wallace (No Cap, One Line Of 1910 Stats) 1

Thanks,

Matt E.

Last edited by Matt E.; 05-21-2014 at 09:34 PM.