NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-26-2003, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Default Join SABR

Posted By: jay behrens 

If any of you have been debating whether or not to join SABR (Society for American Baseball Research) I just got an email about some things that going to be published this year. To me, this is the highlight of the year, copied from the email I got...

"2003 promises much excitement for SABR members. Our plans include publishing our largest book ever, 400+ pages on National League Deadball Era players and major figures."

Jay

Old 02-26-2003, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Default Join SABR

Posted By: runscott

SABR has been very good to me! I bought one of their old publications on ebay and was able to use it to i.d. an anonymous photo I bought a year ago. Only problem was that I sold the photo after Jay (Mr. SABR) told me it wasn't a baseball player! Jay - don't you look at the SABR publications?

Old 02-26-2003, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Default Join SABR

I tried to join and haven't gotten a response to my emails. Do they have an "anti-American" policy?

Old 02-26-2003, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Default Join SABR

Posted By: jay behrens

you talking about the guy that looked like a circus pin thrower? I do read every book I get from them, but your talking about over 15 years of books, most of which I have never looked at a second time. My favorites that I use the most are the 19th Century Stars that covers all the great non-HOFers and The Negro League Book.

Jay

Old 02-26-2003, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Default Join SABR

go back and take another look at your favorite books

Old 02-28-2003, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Default Join SABR

Posted By: rich klein

You should ALL be members of SABR. There is even committees with different activity levels that track pre-1900 Baseball or the Deadball Era (1900-1920). In all seriousness, in many ways the membership has been invaluable to what I do here.

Just make sure you mention me as the person who convinced you to sign up when you go through the process at www.sabr.org

Thanks
Rich

Old 03-02-2003, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Default Join SABR

Posted By: Jeff O

Scott,

I was a member of the Cartophilic Society of Great Britain for a year.... it's really not much to write home about unless you collect a wide range of tobacco cards. Their monthly magazine/newsletter is OK, but really won't provide much of interest to sports collectors.

That being said, you do get a discount on their publications, such as the World Index. That's why I joined - it was cheaper to pay the dues for a year and buy the books with the discount then it was just to buy the books as a non-member.

They're usually pretty prompt... my membership stuff went through in 2-3 weeks.

Jeff
http://www.seattlehockey.net

Old 03-02-2003, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Default Join SABR

Yeah, I also wanted to join because of the publication discount - the article in VCBC about it was great!

I sent them another email explaining that I wanted to "experience" membership so that I could recommend it to other tobacco card collectors, and that I know some others who might be interested in their publication, but still got no response to the email.

Old 03-02-2003, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Default Join SABR

Posted By: Jay Miller

Scott---I am currently a member. I joined last year and had no trouble doing so. I have found the few people that I have dealt with at the Society to be very friendly and, as I have mentioned previously, I am currently coordinating an update of the Old Judge listing for them. If you have trouble with their web site try contacting Martin Murray from Murray Cards(Google has them). Their publications are not currently geared toward baseball cards but that is a function of the articles that are submitted. I'm sure they would be happy to have baseball articles.

Old 03-02-2003, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Default Join SABR

I wanted to join so that I could buy the index at a discount. I figured the associated newsletter would also be good.

It's great that they are nice people and everything, but if they don't respond to my eamails it doesn't do me any good, and they lose some potential revenue - it's bad business on their part, is all, and I end up having to buy the index through a used book store. Certainly if I can't get them to respond to an email, I'm not going to send them money hoping they will send me the index.

Old 03-02-2003, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Default Join SABR

Scott--I understood your post completely. If they haven't responded to your email contact Martin Murray and I'm sure he will help.

Old 03-02-2003, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Default Join SABR

BTW - I may know who some of the players are in that 1892 Bingos cabinet. Another guy named Tenney played briefly for them in 1892. I also found an old article about Willie Keeler where former teammates were telling stories. One mentioned that he was the pitcher for the Bingos until the 3rd-basemen got injured during the 1892 season. Keeler must not have been too good of a pitcher, because they moved him to the infield and he hit so well that they never pitched him again.

Old 03-02-2003, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Default Join SABR

Scott--I'de love to get a copy of the article.

Old 03-02-2003, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Default Join SABR

I'll send it to you

Old 03-04-2003, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Default Join SABR

They didn't respond to any of my emails, but I got a pile of stuff in the mail today, including application with a hand-written welcome note, and a copy of their publication!