NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Default all of those NM Just So's and Four Base Hit's ?

Posted By: leon

From a board member who is not too high profile (but has a great collection) these are in response to the thread a week or so ago about "where's all the NM Four Base Hits and Just So's?" Here's a few.....

Old 05-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

Holy you know what!

Does he/she take requests?

Old 05-19-2006, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

Those look great, it suprises me how for the most part Just Sos are found in such nice condition. I guess this would be an appropriate place to question why almost all N690s of New York players are in such nice condition? At the most there are only a few of each player, some even unique. I remember the large grouping from the Copeland sale were found in a book (or so i've heard) so that would explain why a great number of them are so nice but then you have to question why the New York players are so much more difficult than the other teams.

Old 05-19-2006, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

Look at my Stevens Cabinet. Wow!

Old 05-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Administrator

That's great...Putting 2 and 2 together I wonder if Stevens did the pics for the Four Base Hits? Very interesting...

Old 05-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Manos

I have handled tons of cabinets and all the Steven's I have had have the team written exactly like Leon's Four Base Hits. Very interesting. Great point.

Jim- for the record those are not my Four Base Hits in this thread...I only have one..

Old 05-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Administrator

are you referring to the manner of script on my Steven's Cabinet?

Old 05-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Administrator

If you look at the picture it has the Chicago script like Leon's 4 Base Hits. If your not joking. Same time frame as well. I have had a handful of Stevens and the Team city is like Leon's 4 Base Hits(above his head). Never did I but 2 and 2 together.

Actually, I have never seen a Steven's cabinet like yours with the print at the bottom.

Old 05-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Administrator

misread your first post. Thought you were refering to the name script under the portrait.

Old 05-19-2006, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mosley

Those are some incredibly beautiful cards. Thanks to whomever was kind enough to share those with Leon and the board.

Since this uses the same photo as the Just So, I thought I'd post one from the other end of the collecting spectrum... Its ugly but it has a very happy home in my collection.

Old 05-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Kidding... neat card

Old 05-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: prewarsports

The Stevens Mounts with the script on top are from the later serious which people now consider from around 1890. They also do not list the teams at the top, only the name of the player and his position. The type with the name written on the bottom is an earlier Stevens mount from around 1887-1888. The mounts from the two types do not look anything alike and they are from completely different time periods.

Old 05-20-2006, 07:12 AM
Administrator

I meant the same script or font is alike also (team name or player name I have seen both)I say 2-3 years apart is the same time frame as well. I also said nothing about the mount but they are different. I seem to feel alittle presure from you lately on everything I do or post. We can start posting more if you would like, 1 more and we will, your call??

Old 05-20-2006, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: prewarsports

I meant nothing by my post at all. Simply stating why there are two different types. I know you have handled lots of the other types of Stevens and really like cabinet cards and was in no way questioning that you have, I just did not know if you knew why there was a difference. I handled or discovered several of the known 1890 Stevens cabinets and was just posting the information on the different mount styles and writing at the top. I meant nothing toward you directly in any way with the post, nor was I questioning your knowledge of the 1890 Stevens cabinets.

I have much better things to do with my time if this is how you are treated on this forum for posting information you have. Sounds like it is time I follow the lead of most of the other knowledgable people who used to post on this forum and take an extended leave of absence. Good Luck.

Old 05-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Administrator

You can certainly leave the forum if you want to. I don't see a big reason for you to but that's your call. To say most of the knowledgable folks have left is not correct though. I would say we have more than ever.....Take care...

Old 05-20-2006, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

that FBH is kinda wavy like it's been skinned or something. O/W very beautiful card. I can only surmise who it belongs to.................

Any disclosures on what they paid for the cards and when they bought them?

Old 05-20-2006, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Millerhouse

Tom,

You're right. It is an optical illusion. The FBH is almost pristine, front and back. The Just So does have some very easily missed scrapes on the back of the lightest order that do not show up in a scan.

And, by the way, they're mine. Was your surmise correct? The Sullivan was bought for mid-four figures from REA maybe six or so years ago. I got the Just So in trade for a G&B gum card many years ago.

Dan Gantt

Old 05-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett

Let me be first to come to Rhys's defense here. I'm not quite sure why he is being attacked for simply posting some information on this board.

He knows there are still knowlegable people here, however there are several that used to frequent this board that no longer do so for one reason or another.

Anyways it seems like he is being singled out here, and I guess I don't really understand the reason.

-Rhett

Old 05-20-2006, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

I surmised INCORRECTLY...........
Congrats on both. You did very well on both! I'm sure the NM/MT folks on the board are salivating as we speak! Thanks for making the scans available for all to see.....wish others would do the same!

Old 05-20-2006, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Both of ya'll are very valued and knowledgable board members. I hope ya'll stick around. From everything I read in this thread there really wasn't that bad of stuff. It's very easy to get a little offended at what folks write. Time and again on the board this has happened. I know all of you guys and your all good guys....I hope no one get's singled out and picked on....It just looks like there is a very slight misunderstanding. It happens very easily behind a keyboard. If we were all together having a beer or coffee I am sure we would all get along well.....See you guys around....and hopefully ya'll will continue to chime in. How else can we learn about some of this stuff??

Old 05-20-2006, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett

Leon, I never said I had plans of leaving or anything like that. Just seemed little out of the blue that Rhys was being singled out.

If the Behrens brothers are still around after all the abuse they take (I think they are both masochists), I guess I can stick around for a while.

-Rhett

Old 05-20-2006, 02:49 PM
Administrator

My apologies...yes, it was your bro...and I hope he sticks around too...Hey- even I get abused on here . BTW, I was speaking with a board member today and he mentioned that I must delete or censor a lot of stuff. I told him that I really don't remember the last time I deleted a thread. It's been many months. I think my right hand guy did a few of them around the K Derby time that were solely race related, after we already had a few threads about it. I agreed on those. I don't remember ever deleting or censoring a post, or thread, that was criticizing me or the board. As long as you put your name by it you can fire away. If ya can't take the heat........so please carry on...