NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-03-2016, 11:08 AM
Jonathan Schwartz

Default First time I’ve been ripped off

Hey guys,
Just thought I’d share an experience with you as this seller continues to sell on the BST here (for now).
I bought a Piper Bat from Kevin (khkco4bls) and the deal for one bat ballooned into 15 bats. Kevin sent me a lot of pictures of his collection and I said that one day I would like to purchase my first vintage baseball.
He proceeded to offer me a Goldsmith baseball that has the word ATLANTIC across the front. The price was 600 dollars, and that was only because I was already purchasing 15 bats. The Atlantic League was 1896 to 1900 and I told him that I would be so happy to add a ball from that era.

Long story short, I asked Brandon Grunbaum to confirm the age of the ball and he tells me that it’s ball from 1926-1932 and it’s worth 50 to 75 bucks. Not 600. Not rare and certainly not of the era I was told.

I write Kevin and simply tell him that the ball isn’t what he said it was and that I’d like a refund. His first response is that he has another one and when it goes to auction in October, he would refund me the difference.

I responded to that saying that waiting until October is too long and that I never would have bought the ball if he told me what it actually was, regardless if he actually knew or not.

He then responds to me “No. You made the deals we all win and lose sometimes you're going to have to wait”

I’ve had countless deals on the forum and every one has been smooth. I’ve never deceived anybody and nor will I ever. I’m thoroughly disappointed that I won’t be refunded but I think it’s fair that everyone knows that when dealing with Kevin, you will not be refunded if unhappy. Heck, he won’t refund me after selling a ball that he completely misrepresented.

I hope that he reconsiders and refunds me my money, but there has been a lot of back and forth and essentially he’s telling me that he knows I’ve been taken but that’s just part of the hobby.
Well it’s certainly not the hobby I want to contribute to.

Rant over.

Jonathan Schwartz
Old 07-03-2016, 11:50 AM
G.ary L.eavitt

Default Ball Question

I guess the immediate question is: you spent $600 on a ball that you did no research on until after you paid for it?
Am I reading this incorrectly?
Old 07-03-2016, 11:53 AM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111gecko View Post
I guess the immediate question is: you spent $600 on a ball that you did no research on until after you paid for it?
I thinks there's bigger issues than your " immediate question".
Old 07-03-2016, 12:07 PM
je.sse @rnot

It looks like the seller you've accused has many items listed for sale on this site. If this is all true it doesn't say much for his honestly or credibility. Hopefully he will respond and present his side of this story. Returning the item for a refund if it was misrepresented seems like a logical resolution.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:10 PM
R@y H0lmes

Quote:
Remind me to never buy anything from you.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:10 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
If I sold you something as authentic and it wasn't would that be your fault?
Old 07-03-2016, 12:14 PM
Jonathan Schwartz

Quote:
After speaking to Kevin over the phone many times, and having many many texts back and forth, there would be no reason to believe he was misrepresenting anything. The prices of the 15 bats were extremely spot on and he came off as trustworthy. In the future, would I buy something like this again without doing research? no way.
In my heart, I believe Kevin was ripped off when he bought the ball originally. And maybe he has too much pride to admit that.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:18 PM
G.ary L.eavitt

Default Ball

Saw a few responses and read the original post again.
My bad, I just got hooked on phonics....should have spent more time on it before responding.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:36 PM
Jeff Lowe

The sellers response is like well we all get ripped off so I'll rip off you too . Totally inappropriate and BS .
Old 07-03-2016, 12:41 PM
Jason Wells

Im not sure what your payment method was but that might give you a few different options with regards to the refund.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:51 PM
Jonathan Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Im not sure what your payment method was but that might give you a few different options with regards to the refund.
Paypal f/f through my AMEX. You might be on to something. Thankfully, I've never had to go through something like this so I don't know whether AMEX might cover me. I assume that because I paid f/f I'm a little screwed?
Old 07-03-2016, 12:57 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

The seller really needs to make this right.
His future sales depend on iy. If you don't stand behind what you sell, then it is all a crapshoot.
Most folks on here would make it right.
I hope he does too.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:01 PM
Mark Medlin

In my opinion the sale is fraud. Misrepresentation definitely falls in that category.

Mark Medlin
Old 07-03-2016, 01:11 PM

If he doesn't make this right... He should have "sanctions" put on him..

That's complete bull crap from top to bottom. Keep us posted.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:22 PM
Mike

Good luck with the refund

Last edited by Canofcorn; 07-05-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:33 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Did Kevin tell you the ball was that old, or did you assume the ball was that old? That part of your story isn't quite clear.

If he told you that, yes you deserve a refund because it was misrepresented. If you assumed that, then you should have done more research.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:42 PM
Jonathan Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Did Kevin tell you the ball was that old, or did you assume the ball was that old? That part of your story isn't quite clear.

If he told you that, yes you deserve a refund because it was misrepresented. If you assumed that, then you should have done more research.
Hey David,
He told me that. And then when I told him that Brandon said it wasn't from when he said it was, he said that Brandon doesn't know what he is talking about, I to quote his response "Whoever told you that was worth $75 he's totally wrong the ball is not from the 19 thirties there is a later model of the same type with different type faces that is not as early as that one"
To which Brandon replied to me "Comical, "there's a later model that looks the same"...The stuff these guys come up with. Tell him you talked to me, and show him this image. This is not opinion, this is research and fact."
Old 07-03-2016, 01:45 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonvancouver View Post
Hey David,
He told me that. And then when I told him that Brandon said it wasn't from when he said it was, he said that Brandon doesn't know what he is talking about, I to quote his response "Whoever told you that was worth $75 he's totally wrong the ball is not from the 19 thirties there is a later model of the same type with different type faces that is not as early as that one"
To which Brandon replied to me "Comical, "there's a later model that looks the same"...The stuff these guys come up with. Tell him you talked to me, and show him this image. This is not opinion, this is research and fact."

Thanks for the reply. Good luck with your refund. Hopefully he'll see the post and make things right.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:54 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I hope you get your money back. I do think you have more protection with American Express although I'm not sure how paying via Paypal F/F will affect it. Here's a link: Link
Old 07-03-2016, 02:04 PM
Jonathan Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I hope you get your money back. I do think you have more protection with American Express although I'm not sure how paying via Paypal F/F will affect it. Here's a link: Link
Thank you for the link.
I will speak to AMEX and see what they can do.

Best,
Jonathan
Old 07-03-2016, 02:33 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

I have had one transaction with the OP, and communication was flawless as well as the transaction, VERY SOLID BUYER!!!
Old 07-03-2016, 02:38 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

To pull that to a good buyer -- who purchased a lot of bats in the same transaction -- is very poor form. To put it charitably.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canofcorn View Post
Yesterday I had a NET54 member send me a PM and offer me a card he had on eBay he thought I might like.....
I liked it and we agreed to price...then they backed out and decided to take it to the National. Pissed me off because he approached me..and I agreed to his price...but at least money didn't change hands

Just a frustrating waste of time and bad experience because I did like the card a lot.

I would expect that bullcrap from Blowoutcards members, not NET54
Out the person. Period.
...whatever I want
Old 07-03-2016, 03:03 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Quote:
Yesterday I had a NET54 member send me a PM and offer me a card he had on eBay he thought I might like.....
I liked it and we agreed to price...then they backed out and decided to take it to the National. Pissed me off because he approached me..and I agreed to his price...but at least money didn't change hands

Just a frustrating waste of time and bad experience because I did like the card a lot.

Yes, this needs to be covered too. Occurs everyday at Blowout. Net54 seems to be more mature collectors. More vintage inclinded.

If no one has, and apparently not, I will PM the seller of the ball and alert them of this thread. We need to hear his angle on it.

EDIT: Just sent a PM with a link to this thread. He was last on at 4:51 today.

Last edited by xplainer; 07-03-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:13 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

What a douche of a seller. Yeah, Brandon doesn't know what he's talking about, ok. Has a book on the history of the baseball for no reason I guess lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2016, 03:18 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
I have had one transaction with the OP, and communication was flawless as well as the transaction, VERY SOLID BUYER!!!
I second that and it's not just because he is a local that could take a ferry over to my house and bring his baseball bats to motivate a fair deal,'if needed .

I hope this gets resolved fairly ASAP.

Last edited by baseball tourist; 07-03-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:46 PM

Def contact AMEX. They usually cover their clients even if its the clients fault (which it isnt in this situation).

Best of luck!

Smooth Transactions ezez420.frankbmd.northviewcats.t206hound.Beatles Guy.team-of-rivals.LukeLyon.ValKehl.Double-P-Enterprises.Hcom24.midmo.pow323.Tolstoi.WillowGrov e.Dougscats.t206Collector.cammb.pclpads.Jobu.eseho mbre.BocaBirdman, 38Goudeyman and many more
Old 07-03-2016, 03:57 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Quote:
Hey David,
Just a thought, maybe you could post a couple clear scans of the ball and then let a few of the other memorabilia experts on the forum weigh in on this one? Then it wouldn't be a case of simply Kevin's word vs. Brandon's. You'd have a much stronger case here if other's could weigh on whether the ball came from the 1896-1900 era vs. the 20s or 30s.

And yes, if he misrepresented the ball to you, that's a clear case of needing to give you a full refund. He needs to make that right.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:06 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

The fact that this ball was being purchased in ADDITION to a large number of bats, and I'm assuming that was no small purchase, and the seller is yanking your chain like this? Unethical and in very poor form.

Over the years I've been on 54, I've seen instances where one's reputation can be eternally tarnished, deservedly so, because of a very poor choice. I truly hope the seller makes this right.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:14 PM
Dan Bretta

I second Brian, I would like to see photos of this ball.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:25 PM
Jonathan Schwartz

Hey all,
Here are the pics of the ball.

And finally here is just a baseline PDF that Brandon sent me to clearly illustrate how that logo alone proves the year.

Brandon also said that he could get into the materials etc but with this case is so clearly evident. Brandon says the ball is Canvas and that it's the 126-1932 equivalent of a ball sold in Dick's Sporting Goods today.

Not sure how much more info I could provide and when I sent Kevin this info, his tune changed to offering me the refund based on what his other ball sells for in October. Some people...
Old 07-03-2016, 04:33 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Paypal f/f through my AMEX. You might be on to something. Thankfully, I've never had to go through something like this so I don't know whether AMEX might cover me. I assume that because I paid f/f I'm a little screwed?
Not to take this off topic, but I thought you could only do Paypal f/f from your bank account, not Amex. Unless it changed?

Regardless, I hope this situation works out for the OP. Never a good strategy for a seller to "pay it forward" in a negative way.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:39 PM
Jonathan Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Not to take this off topic, but I thought you could only do Paypal f/f from your bank account, not Amex. Unless it changed?

Regardless, I hope this situation works out for the OP. Never a good strategy for a seller to "pay it forward" in a negative way.
Sh*t I just went back and looked at the transaction and it wasn't f/f.
I pay f/f about 95% of the time and for some reason I guess on this one I didn't.
I'm calling AMEX now to see what my options are.
Thanks for your post as it motivated me to log into my paypal account to double check. Much appreciated.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:11 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Sh*t I just went back and looked at the transaction and it wasn't f/f.
I pay f/f about 95% of the time and for some reason I guess on this one I didn't.
I'm calling AMEX now to see what my options are.
Thanks for your post as it motivated me to log into my paypal account to double check. Much appreciated.
That's actually a happy accident. Regular PayPal and Amex give more protection. One thing to know: once you file an Amex claim, you can't do anything through PayPal; they automatically take the seller's side. Might be better to go through Paypal, then Amex, if PP doesn't help.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:12 PM
Scott Russell

That's good news, that means you can get paypal involved if you don't want to bother with Amex.

EDIT: Sam types faster

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 07-03-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:33 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

I don't understand. He sent you a pdf. that is showing the logo on the ball, is from 1926-1932? Yet, sold it as a pre 1900 ball, for 600 bucks?

I must be missing something.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:34 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
If it was being advertised as something it wasn't you shouldn't have to do the research.

At least not off of this site. This is the one site that I feel as though I can trust everyone.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 07-03-2016, 05:42 PM
Jonathan Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplainer View Post
I don't understand. He sent you a pdf. that is showing the logo on the ball, is from 1926-1932? Yet, sold it as a pre 1900 ball, for 600 bucks?

I must be missing something.
The PDF is what Brandon sent me to clearly show that the ball was not pre 1900.
Kevin only offered the "let's see what my other one sells for in October" after I forwarded the PDF to him to prove that the ball was 1926-1932
Old 07-03-2016, 05:49 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:

'the going to the National' is the excuse we will hear now on any deals that fall through when it looked like a deal would go for a certain price but now the National has sprung up so the seller thinks can get more money there...

of course if they dont get that price they still dont come down even though 1000s of people who saw the card there didnt buy it...so just one of those fun fake excuses
Old 07-03-2016, 06:04 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Quote:
The PDF is what Brandon sent me to clearly show that the ball was not pre 1900.
Kevin only offered the "let's see what my other one sells for in October" after I forwarded the PDF to him to prove that the ball was 1926-1932
OK, yeah, I understand now. Brandon sent you the pdf. Pretty much a closed case.

I really want to hear from the seller.
He probably was lied to on purchase, but he should take the hit on the resale, when shown, it was not as presented.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:07 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

The fact that you purchased so many items from the seller should have resulted in an immediate refund. I would like to hear his side of the story, but until he replies (if he does) shame on him for such poor customer service.

Jeff
Old 07-03-2016, 06:11 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
'the going to the National' is the excuse we will hear now on any deals that fall through when it looked like a deal would go for a certain price but now the National has sprung up so the seller thinks can get more money there...

of course if they dont get that price they still dont come down even though 1000s of people who saw the card there didnt buy it...so just one of those fun fake excuses
Yeah, but come on. A price was agreed to, then detached because of the NATIONAL?

Really? Not acceptable, as far as I am concerned.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:11 PM
Jonathan Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplainer View Post
He probably was lied to on purchase,
My thoughts exactly. And if that was the case he could have been honest with me about it. If he was lied to, than I do feel bad for him too, but I've clearly shown him that the ball is not what he sold it to me as and he should refund me my money. The total deal was around 2500 USD.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:15 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. And if that was the case he could have been honest with me about it. If he was lied to, than I do feel bad for him too, but I've clearly shown him that the ball is not what he sold it to me as and he should refund me my money. The total deal was around 2500 USD.
right...it like he trying to 'win' ....he should just refund the money....people dont like being victims..but they should like more being an ethical seller
Old 07-03-2016, 08:37 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

If the OP is telling the whole story, I'm appalled that no refund has been made. This seems like outright theft.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 07-03-2016, 08:41 PM
Scott Russell

The silence (from the seller) is deafening.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:46 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
The silence (from the seller) is deafening.
Normally, I would agree, but it is the 4th of July weekend. The guy has been on here forever, let's give him a chance to respond.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:54 PM
Fred

Is the second ball being taken to the National the same vintage as the one you purchased? If so, and the seller is now aware of the vintage, why would he try to sell it as an older ball at the National?
Old 07-03-2016, 09:14 PM
De.rek Gre.nce

That's pretty shady! I actually PM'd the seller a few days ago about one of his BST listings, but haven't heard anything back. Thanks for posting this and making us all aware. You def deserve a refund!!!!
Old 07-03-2016, 09:15 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
That's actually a happy accident. Regular PayPal and Amex give more protection. One thing to know: once you file an Amex claim, you can't do anything through PayPal; they automatically take the seller's side. Might be better to go through Paypal, then Amex, if PP doesn't help.
Agreed. Paypal claim first. No reason to contact Amex yet.