NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-15-2017, 01:49 PM
Gary McNabb

Default ?? Topps 206 ??

What exactly are these cards? Are they real t206's?
Hate to sound like a novice, but it's been only a little over year that I got back into my collection and one of the auctions is offering up one of these cards and I might be interested.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:08 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymc View Post
Hate to sound like a novice, but it's been only a little over year that I got back into my collection and one of the auctions is offering up one of these cards and I might be interested.
Yes, they are real T206s, put in those holders by Topps and inserted into packs in 2001-2002. However, a few months ago a now-suspended member of this board admitted fraudulently putting a bunch of T206s into Topps holders years after the fact and passing them off as real Topps T206 buyback cards. Here is the thread where he announced this, which went on for a long time:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=243385

Here is the post in that thread (#174) by the board member who worked for Topps in 2001-2002 and was responsible for unpacking the T206s (bought from dealer Kit Young) and preparing them for being put into packs:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...&postcount=174
Old 12-15-2017, 07:22 PM
Archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymc View Post
Gary

I have bought a few of these Topps T206 framed cards over the years. Most of the T206 placed in these frames are commons. Very rarely with you see a HOFer or SLer in one of these frames.

The same can be said for the backs. Most are Piedmont & Sweet Caporals, but occasionally you will see a Topps T206 with a back other than these two brands.

Hope this helps

Jantz
Old 12-16-2017, 05:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
Yes, they are real T206s, put in those holders by Topps and inserted into packs in 2001-2002. However, a few months ago a now-suspended member of this board admitted fraudulently putting a bunch of T206s into Topps holders years after the fact and passing them off as real Topps T206 buyback cards. Here is the thread where he announced this, which went on for a long time:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=243385

Here is the post in that thread (#174) by the board member who worked for Topps in 2001-2002 and was responsible for unpacking the T206s (bought from dealer Kit Young) and preparing them for being put into packs:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...&postcount=174

Yes, Larry took 20 dollar T206s and made them into fraudulent 20 dollar T206s. Quite the money making scheme.

Old 12-16-2017, 05:51 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Yes, Larry took 20 dollar T206s and made them into fraudulent 20 dollar T206s. Quite the money making scheme.

Good one.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:21 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:

Although it wasn't big money fraud he did make a couple of thousand dollars on the ones he got caught on.

Willis- paid $36 sold for $130

Willis (Throwing).jpg
Willis (Throwing Buyback.jpg

McGraw- Paid $46 sold for $100
Mcgraw%20_Port%20With%20Cap_.jpg

Tinker- Paid $70 sold for $140
Tinker (Hands On Knees).jpg
Tinker (Hands On Knees) Buyback.jpg

George Browne (Wash) paid $52 sold for $116.50
Browne, G..jpg
Old 12-20-2017, 12:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
Although it wasn't big money fraud he did make a couple of thousand dollars on the ones he got caught on.
This scam that Larry did was wrong on many levels. No doubt he made a little money on most. I am aware that he lost on some too. With the time it took him to do his misdeeds vs the amount made, it doesn't seem like a successful proposition. But then again, fraud never is.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:36 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

not sure why topps wouldn't of 'numbered' these cards so each had a unique number..
Old 12-20-2017, 01:19 PM
Fred

Quote:
This scam that Larry did was wrong on many levels. No doubt he made a little money on most. I am aware that he lost on some too. With the time it took him to do his misdeeds vs the amount made, it doesn't seem like a successful proposition. But then again, fraud never is.
Fraud can be profitable, until you get caught.

I have about 20 of the Topps 206 and paid a small premium for them because I thought they were kind of cool. Now I don't bother with them anymore.

It kind of messes up how you feel about the hobby, but then again, this hobby turned into a shit show a while ago.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:40 PM
Fred

Just out of curiosity, did Larry try and sell any of these "altered" Topps 206 cards in our BST? I'm really hoping not.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:36 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Just out of curiosity, did Larry try and sell any of these "altered" Topps 206 cards in our BST? I'm really hoping not.
He did, post #6 in this thread.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=240701

Here's the before and after versions of the Bender and Cranston cards.
He also created the Ritter card you can tell by the paper fibers in
the Topps holder but I couldn't find where he purchased that one.
The legitimate Topps buybacks don't have the fibers they got trapped
in his creations when he cut the sides to take out the cheap auto card and
insert the T206 card.

Bender.jpg

Cranston - Copy (2).jpg
Old 12-20-2017, 10:00 PM
Fred

Is Larry part of this board any more? Just curious because pedaling those goods through THIS board would, IMO, be a very bad thing.

Pat, thank you for the detailed information.

Last edited by Fred; 12-20-2017 at 10:02 PM.