NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-01-2017, 06:06 PM
Dave Johnson

Default Cards that never were Part Deux...

Sorry for the longer post but thanks for reading this and letting me share.

A short while ago I posted this thread about what cards would you have liked to have seen made that never existed.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=246526

Well...I had a 3 different cards made of my favorite player - Sam Crawford - ...thought I would share them here.

I did not create these, but had them made for me, by someone with much better skills on the computer than I have. (wish I knew how to do this and how to print these on my own)
VERY happy with how they turned out.

So, here are the three

Since Crawford does not have a true Rookie card..I decided to have one made using what is one of his earlier photos.

This is a total make believe card of Crawford as this is a Fatima design and size, the photo of what is believed to be of him in the earliest of days with Cincinnati, likely circa 1899-1900. I wanted to get a larger size card to show off the full length photo better as it is a pretty washed out picture to begin with. ( I reduced the scan size but card is normal T222 dimensions

I used the Fatima back (as I didn't want just a blank back) I also considered having this made as an Old Judge card..and still might...Regardless this was meant to represent a Rookie card photo of Crawford and their are simply not any real cards from 1899-1900 that fit the bill....

For the second card I went with aT204 Ramly theme...went away from the gold leaf front as that wasn't going to print up true to how they really look, so we went with a little bit of a greenish tint which still presents pretty well. I added a back design of the barbershop that Crawford worked on as a youngster before heading out to play baseball. Mr. Killian offered to buy Sam a suit if he promised to quit smoking....this is a story told by Crawford in " The Glory of Their Times" so that was the idea for the back design.

This location on the back does exist in Wahoo, NE = and it is a barbershop. Matter of fact I got my hair cut there when I was a young child...Based on the barber chairs that were in the place in my youth, I would't be surprised if this as the actual location where he might have done his barbering apprenticeship as a youngster.

The last card i think turned out really well and is a T205 Crawford. I kept this one as close as possible to the real design, with the Hassan back. This one even looks better in person, but the enlarged scans help it out. This is one card I still have no idea why he wasn't included in the T205 set, as this was during some of the prime years for Sam Crawford and he was a very popular player not only for Detroit, but one of the better known players in all of baseball at this point in his career.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:03 PM
Ben North

Cool cards, with a little practice and some help at first they are pretty easy to make.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:18 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Love the t205! Really cool.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:29 PM
Bruce Esser

The city of Wahoo has recently completed a lot of renovations and general sprucing up of Sam Crawford Field. The field is in walking distance from the main business district of the town and has a great old time feel.

http://www.nebaseballhistory.com/