NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-08-2006, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Default Issue with ebay purchase

Posted By: James Gallo

Ok guys I would like to hear some opinions on this.

I bought a raw card on june 4th and got is say 5 days later. It's lower grade but looked fine to me.
I was only able to send it in to SGC at the end of the month. I found out today that the card will be coming back trimmed.

The seller has over 400 all positive feedback.

So should I go to him and try to return the card or am I just out of luck on it?

Should the seller be responsible or is it all up to the buyer?

Discuss...

Thansk in advance.

James Gallo

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 07-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

as I sent in a Mantle a few months after buying it (what can I say, alot going on in my life), only to have it returned ungraded, labelled trimmed by PSA

Old 07-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I think it is perfectly fair to contact the seller, explain what happened, and see if he is willing to rectify the situation. I would start by giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Old 07-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

It would be a lot easier to make the call if we could see the original listing --did the Seller make any representations about the card/or did he make any disclaimers in the listing? Knowing that could help give you a better opinion.

Old 07-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

(1) I generally think buyers have no one but themselves to blame if they pay more than $20 for a vintage card on ebay that is not graded and it winds up trimmed. Duh! Why do you think it wasn't graded? Better question -- why do you think graded cards are worth more than raw cards -- because it factors out the risk of coming back trimmed. When you pay less for a raw card you assume the risk.

but

(2) If the seller makes a representation that the card is unaltered, then I think you have grounds to be seeking some sort of recompense. But still, I think axiom (1) applies.

Old 07-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill K

I wouldn't hesitate contacting the seller and letting him/her know what happened. I would think they should at least consider accepting it back. Worst case, they say no, and your stuck where you are now anyway. I do think it is the buyer's responsibility to send in the card(s) in a timely manner, but sometimes it can take 30 days just for SGC/PSA to get them back to you. Tough spot....good luck!

Bill

My personal collection - http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/fkm_bky/

Old 07-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Administrator

No don't give the crap that the card went cheap because everyone else knew it was trimmed. I have bought plenty off raw cards on ebay and most of my E-90's I bought raw, this is the first trimmed one.

The seller didn't say anything about the card except that it was original and a nice card. There was also no return policy listed.

I will probably contact the seller as soon as I get the card back in hand, probably Monday.

Thanks for the responses.

James Gallo

Old 07-08-2006, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I don't think he is saying that everyone else knew the card was trimmed. What he meant to say is that raw cards sell for less because there is a good chance something is wrong with the card, especially if it looks real nice in a scan. If you happen to get a raw card that is trimmed, that is part of the price of buying card. If the sellers claims that the card is unaltered and untrimmed, then that's a different story. Otherwise, always assume the worst, especially when the seller has a no return policy.

I buy almost everything raw and my assumption is always that there is something wrong with the card that the seller isn't telling me and I bid accordingly.

The difference in price between a 40 and 50 for almost any vintage issue is worth more than the cost of slabbing, so sellers claiming they don't want to go to the expense are either lazy or in most cases, trying to hide something.

Jay

Growing old is not optional, growing up is.

Old 07-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Herein lies the problem with buying raw cards. You could come up a big winner, but you could also lose. It's the risk you take.

If the seller "knew" the card was trimmed (i.e. received it back from a grading co. him/herself), it would be nice if they disclosed this, but I don't think there is any duty imposed upon them to do so.

Caveat emptor.

Old 07-08-2006, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian H (misunderestimated)

Actually, I have virtually the same story to report. I bought an "Ex"ish looking T206 from someone with great feedback and the card looked fine (some corner wear which I found reassuring) so I bid on it and won it. I was happy but even with T206 prices as they are it was not a bargain.

The card has come back trimmed (twice) so it is being slabbed "Authentic".

Although to some degree I assumed the rist. I think that it is a bit too harsh to suggest that I "have only myself to blame" as T206Collector suggests. (his first comment makes me wonder if he works for a grading company but the second is perfectly fair).

Although I don't expect anything, I will let the seller know at this late date. Although my guess is that the seller like me was not aware that the card was trimmed.

Old 07-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Administrator

This card was a F-G at best which is why I thought I got it on the cheaper end.

I am generally buying lower grade cards so I am not as worried that a high grade card is altered.

I don't expect any response, but lately, I have bought some 75 Topps stuff and EVERYTHING has been way over graded.

As a result I am not buying any more of those off ebay.

James Gallo

Old 07-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean

I always assume that at ungraded card has something wrong if it is a higher grade. The first thing I do before I bid is look for a return policy and ask the seller if the card comes back altered will you refund my money, and tell them it will take a month or so to find out (most return policies are 7 days) and save all the e-mails. If no refund or policy, there are plenty of other cards to bid on.

Sean BH

Old 07-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I will weigh in with t206Collector, however,I think the ante should be upped. I believe that grading cards worth <$50. is a waste of money. And trimming ain't that important, anyway.

Old 07-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I just hope you don't try that with Lew Lipset or other dealers who have nothing but contempt for grading companies. If you buy one of their cards and it comes back trimmed and you ask them to please reimburse you because a grading company said it was trimmed, you'll be surprised at the answer and hopefully you don't blanche easily!