NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-26-2011, 08:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Card Collectors Bulletin Oct. 1, 1947 Whole #50

Enjoy....

Old 09-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Barry Sloate

Note that Lionel Carter wanted to buy T206's with Hustler backs, even though he nor any of his colleagues had ever seen one.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:40 AM
David Pierson
Banned

Default Oh Man!

Tip Top Bread cards for a penny a piece! I'll take a couple of bucks worth. please. PS thanx again Leon! Dave
Old 09-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default all were friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Note that Lionel Carter wanted to buy T206's with Hustler backs, even though he nor any of his colleagues had ever seen one.
As we start digging into the ACC we will note that this was a very small group of collectors that collaborated on the ACC. Walt Corson, Charles Bray, Buck Barker and Jefferson Burdick seem to have done the most cataloging. They all felt there was a Hustler-backed baseball card back then, as evidenced (and show many times) by this index card that came from Corson's collection of notes. (and note the much debated Ty Cobb back too )

Last edited by Leon; 09-26-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:01 AM
Barry Sloate

I remember seeing Corson's handwritten notes with reference to T206 with Hustler backs. Perhaps they all thought they were simply extremely rare, and held out hope that sooner or later they would find some. Apparently, they never did.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:24 AM
David Pierson
Banned

Default We all know

We all know new variations and discoverys happen all the time in our hobby. Collectors from the United Kingdom have extensive U.S. collections..secreted away. There are those in USA that don't "come out of the closet" I know of 2 farm boy brothers near Flint that have collected thier whole lives and began with the fathers collection of scrapbooks. still pasted in...what backs may be there? They also have Shaefer (sp) bread labels with unopened 54 topps packs atatached, apparently given out free with a loaf of bread. Both in their eighties now. They keep the cards in file cabinets like the dewey decmil system size. (not even toploaders. And the bats and balls and mitts would bowl you over. Nothing graded....nothing slabbed.....they have never been to a card show or read a card guidebook....they just like ol time baseball.
Another fellow in Ontario Canada has every hockey card and wrestling card you can imagine...another secret guy. I myself have a modestly extensive collection, but don't show it off much. There are alot of "finds" and major collections yet to surface. dave. ps don't rule any of those rare backs out.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:01 PM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default Bray Sale Lot #122

Would the winner of Lot #122 in the 22nd Bray Sale please contact me. I need several cards from the T218 issue but was unwilling to pay the princely sum of $8.57 for an entire set when I only need a few.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Pretty understated reference to the Marquis of Lorne card-the Wagner (or perhaps Mona Lisa) of Non-Sports cards.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:11 PM

Default Leon... Thanks for posting

Leon...

Thanks for posting this oldtime Card Collector's Bulletin. The ancient hobby periodicals have always held a special interest for me and this one brings back memories of my first encounters with CCB in the mid-1960s. I especially enjoy reading the ads in the various editions of the American Card Catalog since the catalogs' listings themselves provide little insight into the cards. (Incidentally, for collectors who like the ads, avoid the reprint version(s) of ACC after 1960 as the ads have been expunged.

Again, thank you for obtaining these great oldtime hobby periodicals and sharing them with us.

Steve
Old 09-26-2011, 06:26 PM

Cool edition

Love the reference to wanting MINT ONLY T206 including Plank and Wagner.

It is great to know there are large collections out there not exposed to any of us with so many possible variations.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:31 PM
John

This is cool. The non-sports items seemed to have held their own in terms of asking price compared to the sports issues.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
They keep the cards in file cabinets like the dewey decmil system size. (not even toploaders.
Awesome. You can't beat that. Thanks for sharing the bulletin Leon.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:49 AM
Daryl

Every time I read one of these (thanks Leon!) I think "What collectibles can be purchased extremely cheap today that will be much more valuable 50 years from now?" As a kid twenty years ago, I thought my Ryne Sandberg collection would be priceless by now!