NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-15-2007, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Default anyone ever seen this notebook ?

Posted By: jP

anyone have any more information on this interesting childs notebook ?

sorry for the scans, thats the way they are.

""

""

Old 02-16-2007, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

Yes, however that is the nicest example I have seen. The cards are usually cut out and sold as 1910 W-UNC. I think one of the covers was in an auction within the past couple months. Check Memory Lane.

Old 02-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T E

Scans are rough, can you list some of the players? Very cool looking!

Old 02-16-2007, 04:05 PM
Administrator

sorry forgot to mention. its on ebay. may the best bidder win, sure hope it is someone from here who grabs this interesting looking piece.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120087421729&rd=1&rd=1

my collection: "http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m95/obaks/

Old 02-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bidder 1

Thanks

Old 02-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick McQuillan

7-8 years ago I bought one of these from a lady in Nebraska and I sold it to Steve Verkman 3-4 years ago at the Chicago Sun-Times show. If my addled memory is correct, mine was in better condition than this one. The pages inside were filled with stories that were written by a young girl. I wonder if Steve still owns it?

Rick

Old 02-23-2007, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

on this one. Three strong bidders at the end. Closed at $5,500+. Surprised not have seen any comments.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

me too steve...pretty strong price...will we soon see some of these cards in authentic holders? I hope not!

pete in mn

Old 02-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

If ever I wanted to use my Dictatorial powers it would have been to wipe out this thread when it was started. No disrespect meant but I would have liked to have virtually slapped, right upside the head, the originator of this thread.. I hated to see this one outed. I search a lot and would have defintitely found it...Do all of us collectors a favor and don't "out" auctions in different categories before they are ended.....

Old 02-23-2007, 11:17 AM
Administrator

I was being a little too nice to the poster when I first responded to this thread as "Bidder 1" and "Thanks "

Old 02-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

When I yelled at someone who posts about an auction before it ends. I have always been told - Bryan, people would have found it anyway.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: chris bland

This was listed in a more obscure category than say, the Pre-1930 card section. I would have never have "outed" it based on that alone.

I do find it amusing that people get pissed off when someone posts about a card that is correctly listed in the Pre-1930 section of ebay. How is that outing???

Old 02-23-2007, 11:29 AM
Administrator

I don't know the specifics of what you are referring to but if an item is in the Pre-1930 baseball card category it won't be missed by many. If it's in an off category then it might be missed by a lot of folks. It will continue to not be against the rules to out the auctions but again, for us collectors sakes, I hope no one does it.....and that really includes most Pre-1930 categorized cards. I know I outed the E90-1 and upset a few folks inadvertantly. Today I will be upsetting someone else I am sure...but the card I am going to out, later on and for a reason, is a featured item in the correct category. Everybody and their brother has seen it....best regards

Old 02-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

The brevity of your initial response was powerful and genius.
And that is sincere.

When I initially read your reply post - I said 'that is an awesome post'.

Now, I don't know too much about this notebook...
but my seven-year old son doodled some baseball players on his notebook -
if you squint, one could pass for honus.

If anyone wants my son's notebook at half the price of this ebay listing...
I will gladly go to his napsack and sneak it out of there.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

No disrespect meant. I was only saying that it should be a hidden rule of thumb not to bring up any auction that is not completed unless it is to warn off collectors of possible fake or something along those lines. There has been more than one auction that after it was mentioned here the price took off. Did people see it anyway? Sure. But for some strange reason, you bring up a card or auction on this forum and all hell breaks lose. Not that it makes me mad enough to go away though

Old 02-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Administrator

I wasn't offended and you are certainly one of my friends in the hobby. I think the one I out later will be for over 20k or so, when it ends, so I don't think it's going to change the auction too much....I do agree that the publicity of the board can make, even correctly categorized cards, go up in price.....Maybe I need to start outing my own .....and do it anonymously...

Old 02-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

I'm a wee bit surprised you feel my low grade T206's would go for over 20k. Hmm.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Leon and Steve, i am the original poster of this thread. You both have my email addresss and can always email me with any issues or problems with my post(s)

if you want to make it a rule to not post anything in regards to ebay auctions i will comply i certainly dont have a problem with that.

what i was hoping out of this post was not only to inform people of this piece but i was really wanting and hoping that someone here from the vbc would win it. what a cool thing for a fellow board member to own this unique piece.

but obviously Steve was not happy that i posted because he got outbid fairly quickly. im sorry Leon and Steve that you both were outbid and if you may be bitter about this.

this auction was hidden and i felt the vbc needed to know about it. i think it would have still been found either way.

Here i thought i was doing a good thing by alerting my fellow collectors of this, but i guess not.

either way CONGRATS to the winner of this auction if you are or arent a member here.

my collection: http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m95/obaks/

Old 02-23-2007, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Ok, maybe this is a stupid question but ever since I saw the item on ebay it has been bugging me. Why would these still be considered baseball cards? I have seen examples of these sheets before, but this was the first intact notebook I had ever seen. Since these have now been proven to have come from a notebook front and back cover, why are they worth so much. Is it because they have been listed as a W-UNC set for the last decade that makes them retain their value?

I understand the notebook itself has intrinsic value as a display piece (so it wouldn't all of the sudden become worthless) but shouldn't these now be removed from the baseball card category. Nowhere does it say to cut them out, no dotted lines around the pics, etc.

Lastly, I just want to pose a theoretical question. If the pictures on this notebook were oval as opposed to square (baseball-card like) would the pieces have any value at all, or would Mr. Huff be the only one selling them?

-Rhett

Old 02-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Rhett

That's the exact question I wanted to ask.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

Well for one thing when cut out they fit the parameters of what a baseball card from the era looks like, and they are a unique design. There are other notebook "issues" as well, this is not an unprecedented thing. The supposed E whatever "proof" cards that were shown to be cut from a notebook have also been cut out and found there way into slabs. Its not that much different then people and some of their strip card issues. But I agree that it it much nicer to keep the piece whole, as is almost always the case when a complete item is cut into pieces for profit, or whatever reason.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T E

...if you are the seller, to mention the listing on the board? I'm not speaking of ordinary T206s, say a Cobb green background or whatever. (Yes, a Cobb green background is expensive, but not RARE in the true sense of the word.) I'm speaking of a true rarity, something that only comes up once in a blue moon. If I was selling that book, I'd certainly want to start a thread saying that I was selling this item. I do see threads about ongoing main-stream auctions. Just curious.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:47 AM
Administrator

T E

That's what the B/S/T is for. You may tout your item there but it is bad form to post your item on the main board.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:51 AM
Administrator

First of all...Jorge- This was only personal in the sense that when I saw you post about it I got a little flush with "collector upsetedness"....as I wanted to bid on it and it was not in the correct category, therefore the whole world (this board) might not have seen it. Like I said if I ever wanted to abuse my privilege as moderator it would have been this time..but of course I didn't. I thought about emailing you but it was too late...as there was already the post by Steve and I didn't feel right about asking you to delete it at that point. It's obvious you are a good guy with good intentions. Do all of us a favor though for the future. Please don't list ongoing auctions, that are in weird categories, on the board. That's just a personal favor I am asking as a collector...and I will not say you "can't" do it. Thanks much and my apologies if my original wording was a little strong....It's how I felt though.....warm regards

TE- Steve is correct. The BST pages are where you can list anything you want to but please be aware of the correct category. There is a specific place to post for auctions you are running.......

regards
leon

Old 02-24-2007, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Leon

If people are to do collectors a favour in supressing the true fair market value of items by not posting questions about such auctions, I think this should be a written rule, rather than resulting in an admonishment for a poster who breaks an "unwritten" rule.

If it is decided to put it in the Rules, then outing a miscategorized item (noting this item wasn't in a "weird" category. It was (at least for the moment) a notebook) can be rebuked. This assumes the US trade lawyers who visit or lurk here are comfortable that such a rule would not be an inappropriate restraint of trade in a forum such as this, given that such a rule will in suppress the final price to the seller. How will a seller of such an item as the notebook feel if someone points out the actions of this board in trying to restrain the final price of his item?

However, any rule must be carefully thought out. What items in auctions can be outed? Mastro and REA items clearly seem to be fair game (on the presumption that every forum member follows these auctions or would never forget about them). What about the other auctions? Not everyone follows every auction or receives every catalogue. What if an item is in an auction such as Phillip Weiss Auctions or Paul Fusco? Is it ok to bring those to the forum's attention?

Perhaps these are easy questions to answer, but whatever the answers are, they should be spelled out for board members.

Max

Old 02-24-2007, 08:08 AM
Administrator

I knew this would be a busy morning on the board for me.

I have given a lot of thought, dare I say more than almost anyone, to the forum rules, including the ones that are left out. I have chosen to make this, outing of auctions, NOT be a rule on the board. How could I make it a rule? It would never be fair, imho. What would be characterized as a "mis-categorized" item? I would then have to define that idea and many others. I know we have had a few, fairly long threads about this, previously on the board, and don't care to go back and look at them to see what all of my thinking was but I know it was a common thought at the time to not ban this sort of thing. Your bottom paragraph pretty much details the problems with trying to make this a rule. I try my best to not make rules and not change them if at all possible. I think consistency is the key to success and I try my best to adhere to that principle and the rules. As far as legally surpressing trade I am not too worried about that part of the issue....At this time there will be no rule against this type of action and therefore nothing written about it. I am not saying I won't reconsider it if another argument is made that changes my mind, as I do try to be open minded about everything......best regards

Old 02-24-2007, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

The theory that if it is in the pre-1930 category everyone will see it is simple BS. Most will see it, but not everyone. I know of auctions in the pre-1930 category that were outed here, and the winning bidder told me they wouldn't have known about it but for Net54. This fact increases exponentially as you move away from the pre-1930 category.

When I responded to this thread I didn't know it was on eBay, otherwise I wouldn't have responded. Like leon I also spend time searching auctions out and am really pissed when they are outed (or when leon finds them also and outbids me on them )

Old 02-24-2007, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Such crap!

Plain and simple gentleman i started this thread with the same intentions that i would tell my friend or an aquaintance who is in the hobby, of this unique piece. with the hopes that person or persons would aquire it.I would hope persons ive dealt with on this board would remember me if they ever saw or had something that i collect like Frank Arellanes stuff.

I dont understand the big deal of it being in a hidden category has anything to do with it?

None of you has ever told somebody of a good deal you saw or hey i think my brother in law would love these set of tools i found in the oddest place so let me call him and tell him.

Leon i appreciate your kind words but sometimes this place trips me out i feel like some are selfish around here, i get enough of that in my non internet world.

Have a great day all.

my collection: http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m95/obaks/

Old 02-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Administrator

If you spent MANY hours searching for an Arrelanes (sp?) card and found one in a category for bicycles, would you want me to post it on the board on the front page? Or since you spent hours looking, would you prefer to try to get a good deal and not have the whole world know about it and bid against you for it? If you don't understand this simple concept then so be it....Again, I know you were trying to help.....and are a good guy...best regards

Old 02-24-2007, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

If someone is deemed to self advertise, thats bad. But a legitimate question about something that happened to be "poorly" categorized on ebay?? And to be upset because you might have to pay a fair price for an item? I know its nice to come across a deal but banning a legitimate, non self advertisement posting out of ones self interest would be very suspect, and classless IMO. Glad it wont go there.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

Posts like this have the potential to make just 2 people happy (the highest bidder, but only if he didn't know of the auction before the post, and the seller -- always). So, basically, you are advertising for someone else.

Meanwhile, everyone else who bids on the auction will be unhappy with posts like this as it will cause their bids to escalate and/or become ineffective.

So, with the potential to help just 2 people, and the great likelihood to tick off a dozen or more people, it's best to refrain from these posts until after the auction is over.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

for the couple of days it takes for ANY auction to end? I understand the caveat for an item considered faked, or altered, or otherwise nefarious....

But isn't it possible for posters to simply wait until an auction is over to discuss the merits or interesting traits of an auctioned item - well advertised or not? If you need extra information to help you understand the piece, or its value, why not just email someone you trust/admire from the board and ask their opinion? At least you cut down on the number of people who might do the wrong thing and out bid you.....

Never quite understood why people can't respect the concept of allowing those who devote the most time and effort to finding pieces for their collection - the value of that time and effort.

Below is a piece I just bought, I think at a pretty reasonable price, that didn't make it into the category that would most likely reflect it and gather the most interest and bids. I waited out the full 7 days, didn't bid, hoped like hell no-one else was watching, and sniped it at the end for its opening price. I don't absolutely know that I outsmarted anyone, but certainly feel if posts had been made about it before hand I am unlikely to have won the item. Just as those who search out the flea markets, estate sales, garage sales, have earned through their efforts the firtst opportunity to find special things amongst the garbage.

Daniel

Old 02-24-2007, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Leon i understand where you are coming from and that is a good way to look at it. Personally tho. no i wouldnt be mad if you posted about an Arellanes card. I dont let it get to that point. I ve had many oppurtunities to get some real nice and special Arellanes items and was not able to because i could not keep up with the big dollar guys(this happens very often nowadays) why be upset , dissapointed yes but cmon gents this is life here, im not going to be bitter of all the misses but in turn im going to be very happy , content, proud and lucky to have what i have now and keep up putting a good fight. but too recognize my defeats and except them will also keep me loyal to this hobby. this hobby brings me peace.

Leon can you lock this thread this really isnt going anywhere. just makes me think a little more of the outcomes good and bad that may come from posting. regards

Old 02-24-2007, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I agree that it would be almost impossible for Leon to enforce a rule that ongoing auctions can't be outed. It just gets into too many complicated areas that would need to be reevaluated each time another obscure item popped up on ebay.

But the board has for a long time had a gentleman's agreement that it is better not to discuss an auction while it is ongoing; and further, it's probably not great to talk about it the next day either. Sometimes the winner gets a great deal, and even posting the day after could result in the seller getting a few emails offering more money than what it sold for.

I think we are talking about a common courtesy that we all pretty much agree on. By outing the notebook you broke no rules; that said, you probably should not have started a thread about it. If you knew someone who might be interested, sending a private email would have been best.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

plain and simple: wait till auction is over to post here about it. should be a rule....reasons---maybe it's your item, or a friends,or yours with a friend selling it for you. i can't believe anyone can be so naive as to post an on going auction item and then wonder why people would get p.oed...unbelievable!