NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-03-2019, 03:18 PM
Anson

Default Centered?

First off, I'll say this is a really nice card. That being said, WTF constitutes for "centered" these days? I'm willing to give someone 60/40 even.......but this is a bit silly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Cy-You...cAAOSw~LpcdCJx

I apologize if this is a board member's card. But I kind of doubt it, given the title.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:19 PM
pete ullman

that cy is NOT CENTERED!!!!!
Old 05-03-2019, 03:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

Just keyword spamming given the craze. I am sure the seller knows it isn't centered.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-03-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:33 PM
Garth Guibord

With all the talk of PWCC's various letter codes, I think stuff like this is worse because the card just isn't centered. And it happens a lot, on eBay and elsewhere...
Old 05-03-2019, 03:33 PM
Robert Klevens

The card looks centered in the holder
Old 05-03-2019, 03:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
With all the talk of PWCC's various letter codes, I think stuff like this is worse because the card just isn't centered. And it happens a lot, on eBay and elsewhere...
yeah but it's harmless, everyone can see the centering
just sales talk

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:45 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
yeah but it's harmless, everyone can see the centering
just sales talk
It's ALL really harmless sales talk, and while I don't shop PWCC stuff, especially the high priced stuff that gets letters added like it has a degree, I'm guessing at least those cards have a chance to live up to the hype. Describing a card like this as "centered" is just laughable, unless that adjective is preceded by "not."
If I'm in the market for a card, I might click on something that is described as "centered," but I pay no mind to any "X3JDKD" or whatever acronym a seller comes up with. I'd expect it be, you know, centered.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
It's ALL really harmless sales talk, and while I don't shop PWCC stuff, especially the high priced stuff that gets letters added like it has a degree, I'm guessing at least those cards have a chance to live up to the hype. Describing a card like this as "centered" is just laughable, unless that adjective is preceded by "not."
If I'm in the market for a card, I might click on something that is described as "centered," but I pay no mind to any "X3JDKD" or whatever acronym a seller comes up with. I'd expect it be, you know, centered.
Yeah but you're not going to pay more for it because someone SAYS it's centered when it isn't. People clearly do pay more for stickered cards, on the other hand.

Old 05-03-2019, 03:58 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Yeah but you're not going to pay more for it because someone SAYS it's centered when it isn't. People clearly do pay more for stickered cards, on the other hand.

Yes on the first part. But do people pay more because the cards are stickered, or does PWCC do a good hob of identifying cards that are strong for the grade (thereby commanding a higher price)? I don’t think there’s evidence to prove which one is accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2019, 04:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Yes on the first part. But do people pay more because the cards are stickered, or does PWCC do a good hob of identifying cards that are strong for the grade (thereby commanding a higher price)? I don’t think there’s evidence to prove which one is accurate.

Given the huge premiums I've seen, I would say at least in part it's the stickers. I've sold very high end for the grade cards on ebay and they don't do squat. And I've seen PWCC stickered cards that I felt were unworthy of any special sticker go very high.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-03-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:12 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Come on, guys, take it easy on the seller. He is clearly pointing to the fact that Cy Young himself is centered, you know, focused, intense. That's all it is.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:18 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Given the huge premiums I've seen, I would say at least in part it's the stickers. I've sold very high end for the grade cards on ebay and they don't do squat. And I've seen PWCC stickered cards that I felt were unworthy of any special sticker go very high.

I guess I’m not ready to claim causality, as there are other factors (including the number of people PWCC has in its network).

Old 05-03-2019, 04:20 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Come on, guys, take it easy on the seller. He is clearly pointing to the fact that Cy Young himself is centered, you know, focused, intense. That's all it is.

As opposed to Mark Fidrych, perhaps?

Old 05-03-2019, 04:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I guess I’m not ready to claim causality, as there are other factors (including the number of people PWCC has in its network).

Well you can't do a controlled study, so you can only go with what evidence is out there. I think it's pretty clear but in the end I couldn't prove it to you. But I am guessing the very reason Brent does it is because he too thinks it raises hammer prices.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-03-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:58 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

The flip is well centered.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:16 PM
Tim Odeen

Does centered only count for left-to-right? Because I think the centering top-to-bottom is fairly nice. I would agree that there is vertical centering on this card.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Does centered only count for left-to-right? Because I think the centering top-to-bottom is fairly nice. I would agree that there is vertical centering on this card.
A glass half full guy/girl right here, folks. Isn't it time for a well centered card to be shown?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r321ruth2.jpg (79.0 KB, 236 views)

Last edited by Leon; 05-04-2019 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:45 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
A glass half full guy/girl right here, folks. Isn't it time for a well centered card to be shown?
It's the new E90-1 Young!! Great card, I've never understood why that issue, and the 4 on 1 Exhibits, get so little love.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:07 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

What do you guys think about these two examples? As you can see, one has been deemed in the " top 15% " by a particular seller that is being discussed. I am actually inclined toward the other one. A little extra bottom border bothers me not.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 05-04-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:10 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
What do you guys think about these two examples? I am inclined to be happy with either, but I wondered how you guys see them?

Centering isnt so black and white on tobacco/caramel sized issues imo. Some people prefer a larger lower border than others... as compared to even borders all around.

Last edited by ullmandds; 05-04-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:11 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Centering isnt so black and white on tobacco/caramel sized issues imp. Some people prefer a larger lower border than others... as compared to even borders all around.
I was actually editing my post to say just that when you replied. I agree.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:13 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
i was actually editing my post to say just that when you replied. I agree.

Sent from my sm-g960u using tapatalk
👍🏿
Old 05-04-2019, 01:57 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
I agree your example is dead center, or even as you say well centered. The title doesn't say dead centered, it just says centered, and in the context of centered top/ bottom the seller isn't lying. Now if the picture was completely shoved into one corner, there would neither be centering top/ bottom, nor left/ right. And that would be a lie. Would this example receive a qualifying mark of OC? Yes, because that's undeniable. Is the seller being deceptive, that's debatable; it's allowing him to hit more tags and I don't see anything wrong with that. The seller is trying to get as many views as possible. Hopefully buyers preview pictures before purchasing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 05-04-2019, 03:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

It gets your desired effect but irks me because the card isn't centered. lt is more like off centered. If it said half centered then I would be ok with it.

Quote:
I agree your example is dead center, or even as you say well centered. The title doesn't say dead centered, it just says centered, and in the context of centered top/ bottom the seller isn't lying. Now if the picture was completely shoved into one corner, there would neither be centering top/ bottom, nor left/ right. And that would be a lie. Would this example receive a qualifying mark of OC? Yes, because that's undeniable. Is the seller being deceptive, that's debatable; it's allowing him to hit more tags and I don't see anything wrong with that. The seller is trying to get as many views as possible. Hopefully buyers preview pictures before purchasing.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:45 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
It gets your desired effect but irks me because the card isn't centered. lt is more like off centered. If it said half centered then I would be ok with it.
I look at it like this: I want to buy Tris Speaker cards. I have many examples before me, and I want to get the best one that I can afford. There is horizontal centering, and vertical centering. If I have the money, I will ignore cards that are off centered in both categories. Then I am left with options that are centered one way, but not the other. But I do like your term half centered.

My dad was in sales, and it was always about closing the deal. If this seller needs to say centered to close the deal, than do it.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 05-05-2019, 12:13 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I look at it like this: I want to buy Tris Speaker cards. I have many examples before me, and I want to get the best one that I can afford. There is horizontal centering, and vertical centering. If I have the money, I will ignore cards that are off centered in both categories. Then I am left with options that are centered one way, but not the other. But I do like your term half centered.

My dad was in sales, and it was always about closing the deal. If this seller needs to say centered to close the deal, than do it.

I agree it is good to close the sale. But it is better to close the sale and form long relationships based on reality and trust. Before I got this gig I was in outside IT sales for a little over 20 yrs, straight commission. If I misled my customers they wouldn't have come back to me. I had several customers for close to 20 yrs when I got out of the industry. But to each their own I guess. Descriptions can still irk me though .
Here is one, shown many times, that is well centered but I doubt I would call it perfectly centered.
ps...on the 2 Chases, above, even though I like those big bottom borders I like the other one a little better. There is no right or wrong answer on that one.
l
Attached Images
File Type: jpg williams.jpg (78.9 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by Leon; 05-05-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:15 PM
je.sse @rnot

Anyone can tell if a card is centered or not. Lying about something obvious is not salesmanship in my opinion. If someone can't be honest about what is clearly visible in a scan what else will they lie about? I would avoid a seller like this.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 05-05-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I don't avoid them altogether., As long as they have good pics it isn't a big deal. I's fun to lament about it. Here is a group of fairly well centered W575-1s that came out of a pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Anyone can tell if a card is centered or not. Lying about something obvious is not salesmanship in my opinion. If someone can't be honest about what is clearly visible in a scan what else will they lie about? I would avoid a seller like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pw575group3.jpg (74.5 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by Leon; 05-09-2019 at 02:35 PM.