NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-22-2007, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Default Liberation Day

Posted By: Dave Hornish

OK-after much thought, I have liberated the three tobacco cards I won at auction this month from the PSA/SGC holders. They were all 2's or 3's so into my 15 pocket sheets they go!

As for difficlulty, one of the PSA's blew apart when I cut it and I have not yet found the other chunk of it in my basement; didn't expect that! The SGC holder was more difficult to crack than I thought it would be. Eye protection is a must!

I'm saving all the flips though...........

Old 02-22-2007, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Default Liberation Day

Posted By: barrysloate

I've always taken a screwdriver or some other flat edge, wedged it in the seam of the holder, and applied gradual and increasing pressure until the two halves separated. Never had a plastic projectile coming at me.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Default Liberation Day

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

It's all about the Dremel tool. I just slice vertically across the slab, underneath the flip, about halfway through the plastic. Then I insert a flat-head screwdriver into the notch I created, and pry upward. Usually this breaks the seal, and the top half of the slab pops right off. Takes a couple of seconds, but usually avoids any shattering.

Yes, I break slabs for my raw collections, too.

-Al

Old 02-22-2007, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Default Liberation Day

Posted By: Dave Hornish

Surpised me too-I just used my "pair o'dikes" and had made the cut when it flew; the entire top half of the front. I'll try the Dremel next time I think.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Default Liberation Day

Posted By: leon

Next time you might try a wire cutter on one edge and bear down hard...once it's cracked you can use a flat head screwdriver and pry down the edge the rest of the way and they pop like a charm....You only need to crack almost any holder a little (except freakin BVG- they are tanks) to do this.....

Old 02-22-2007, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Default Liberation Day

Posted By: Damian Anderson

Leon,

You sure are right about BVG holders. Very tough SOB's. Block out a half an hour if you don't have a Dremel tool. GAI holders suck as well but not nearly as bad as Beckett. SGC's are some what of a hassle. PSA- piece of cake!

Be Well and happy cracking,
Damian

Old 02-22-2007, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Default Liberation Day

Posted By: BcDaniels

show them thy way!

BcD

Old 02-23-2007, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Default Liberation Day

Posted By: Bill Stone

Please help me understand--as I began collecting mostly prewar cards in the $20 -$200 price range I was perfectly happy, in fact, sought out ungraded cards. As I began to buy more expensive cards it appeared that there was a premium on graded cards and following the threads here it also appeared that SGC was far more respected on this board then PSA --which lead me to the final conclusion that when buying expensive prewar cards it was best to buy SGC graded cards. Is that no longer true?

Old 02-23-2007, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Default Liberation Day

Posted By: Dave

I don't think anything has changed. You still have your graded card guys here and your raw card guys here. As far as SGC being the way to go on pre-war, also a matter of opinion...There may not be as many of us here, but there are a few PSA guys around..I would still argue with anybody that when selling you'll get maximum money for PSA cards.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Default Liberation Day

Posted By: peter chao

Bill,

Here's my rule of thumb buy SGC or any other highly respected grading company card, but sell PSA.

Let's put it this way it makes financial sense.

Peter