NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Default 1870 Lincoln Baseball Club Identification Help Please

Posted By: John w

I recently traded for this group of early baseball photos and I am in need of some research pointers or assistance.

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2006/960.html

The pictures were taken in June 1870 at the University of Bonn and featured what I presume to be a Rockland County, New York amatuer team visiting some of its players abroad. The players who were studying at the University were brothers Charles and Clarence Lexow. Clarence went on to be a state senator in New York and is renown for helping to bring down Tammany Hall in the 1890s. Anyway, I am trying to find out some history of the team, its players and anything else. Any and all help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

John

Old 04-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Leiderman

John, I was the original owner of the Lincoln cabinet.
I wasn't able to find more info than the facts you mention.
Hope Jason sent you the rest of the non-baseball CDV's to help you in your research.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john w

Jimmy,

Yes, Jason sent the additional cdvs and the Lexow biography. I have identified Clarence Lexow as being in the front row left, but I cannot narrow down Charles. Do you have any further IDs? Email any provenance to me that you would care to share.

Thanks,

John

Old 04-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Administrator

The cabinet was in a photo album that belonged to either Charles or Clarence Lexow.

I gave Jason some of the CDV's that were included in the album and were somewhat related to the "team" after he won it on REA.
I still have another good bunch of CDV's from the album that I was planning on sending to Jason.

I'm not sure were did Jason or you got the information that the picture was taken at Bonn University.

The Lexows were attending a private education facility by the name of Kortegarnsche Institute (Sp?)

You can check out Arthur Kortegarn's obituary here:

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9C07EEDC163DE433A25752C0A96E9C94669ED7CF&oref=slogin

I did a good amount of research prior to consigning it with REA, but nothing relevant was found other that it pictures Clarence Lexow.

That's all I can remember about it.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john w

Jimmy,

Thank you - that was the piece of info that Jason said he forgot to throw in the package. Do you think that this could have possibly been a team organized at the institute, or is there any doubt that the cabinet pictures a team from the U.S.? Are the additional cabinets pertaining to the team or the Lexows?

Anyway, I posted a research request on the SABR board and have contacted Peter Morris and John Thorn (through Peter) for their input, as well as notified the Rockland County Historical Society.

As far as this being the "first" baseball cabinet, does anyone else have any info refuting orbolstering that claim? Even if it is an amateur team, I think that is pretty cool.

John

Old 04-16-2008, 09:10 AM
Administrator

John, I think some of the guys on the team were not american, so it must have been a team organized at the institute.

Here's the original thread I started here at n54 back in 2004 when I found the cabinet and before I started doing more serious research on it.

It's a pretty early baseball cabinet, but there are others that predate this one.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1089909002/Another+19th+Century+Research+Project>

Old 06-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

You'll find some answers here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LINCOLN-BASEBALL-CLUB-TEAM-CDV-PHOTOGRAPH-JUNE-1870_W0QQitemZ350070807748QQihZ022QQcategoryZ20139 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rob M.