NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Default Consignment Questions

Posted By: Bob S

Hi Folks,

I have some rudimentary consignment questions, if any of you have time to answer.

Is the standard industry fee for the consignor 20%?

And are the terms "vig" or "juice" applied to the fee charged to the wining bidder, and is the industry standard for the "buyers' fee" 19%.

Please excuse the basic nature of my questions. I usually buy and sell face to face or, in the past, on eBay, so I am unfamiliar with the "lay of the land" regarding the auction houses.

Thanks.

Bob

Old 04-09-2006, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

The consignor fee in consignments is 15%, I believe most everywhere. The term vig or vigorish relates to the percentage the buyer of the item pays to the auction house above the final bid. It varies anywhere from 10% to 20%.

Old 04-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

The juice normally ranges from 15% - 20% it just depends on which auction house it is. The juice, normally can be located on the auction rules page at their website. Since I have never co signed an item to an auction house I am not real sure about the fee for the sellers though.

Old 04-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe

Bob, Mastro is 15%, Leland's is 15%. The buyer fee is 17.5% for both auction houses. If you some valuable items you can negotiate a lower consignment fee, especially with Leland's, they will work with you.

Joe

Old 04-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Great info. I appreciate your replies.

Bob

Old 04-10-2006, 01:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

Depending on who you work with, consignment fees can vary from 0%-20%. I'm going to accept a recent offer by MileHigh for only 5%. Brian, the pres, sure is a nice guy and a pleasure to speak with on the phone.

-Kyle-

Old 04-10-2006, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Colt McClelland

I would talk to Mile High before you consign anywhere else. Brian Drent is a great guy, and I believe he is giving some of the lowest buyers fees of all the auction houses. His auctions do very well and continue to get better and better. He has some amazing pre-war stuff coming up in his May auction.

Old 04-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

The consignment fee for REA was 10% and Rob was also an easy guy to deal with and very free with his time.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

You can't beat the 0% seller's fees at Goodwin. No hassle, no haggling. I hate having to haggle with other auction houses on the seller's fee...it's so easy just to send them to Goodwin without having a long drawn out negotiation. Plus he gets as good prices on his auctions as any other auction house.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Cmoking, I went to the Goodwin site, and while they don't specify fees, they certainly imply that there are sellers' fees for consigned items. Can you elaborate on your post.

Also, do they limit the items they will take on consignment to high end material (i.e., with a minimum expected final selling price), or to specific categories of items (vintage sports cards, as a example).

Thanks.

Bob

Old 04-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

Give Bill Goodwin a call. I don't know if it is an explicit policy or an implicit one. I certainly didn't give them much the first time I consigned, and right off the bat they told me it was 0%. Maybe I am overstepping my bounds, and that really isn't the case...but I would give them a call and ask. Friendly people.

As for stuff they take, I think they specialize in pre-war baseball...and I think they are very good at taking lower dollar stuff that other places like Mastro may not take. Lowe dollar stuff meaning they'd be willing to auction off individual cards that have values from $100-$500. Mastro on the other hand would probably lump them into one big lot.

Old 04-11-2006, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Much appreciated.

I spent several hours last night reviewing their (Goodwin) February auction, and I see that their lower value limit for a single item lot is indeed around $100, and only a few that low. Mostly $250 and up. Below that it appears that they will aggregate.

Great stuff, and thanks, again.

Bob

Old 04-11-2006, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Bobs,
Some things to keep in mind - these are probably obvious to you, but just in case....

* when comparison shopping, focus first on what prices the auction houses bring for similar cards e.g. if you have a T205 Joss, go check and see what price that card brought across each of the venues - its never apples to apples because of a myriad of factors, but its good data to have regardless
* contact the various auction houses asking if they'll give you data such as - how many auction catalogs they mail out, do they charge for auction catalogs, how many web hits do they get, etc - the more people looking at your stuff the better - i don't know whether they share this info, but it would likely help their cause if they did
* then look at consignment fee's

Some auction venues consistently do better than others even with the same type of material - you want a combination of highest price paid by bidders, highest number of bidders, and lowest net consignment dollars spent

Sounds like you're already down the right research path