NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Jon Canfield

Default Mays Was One of the Best - But Is He Worth $1700?!

This, to me, is unbelievable...

"Hall of Famer Willie Mays was the big draw at Tristar’s Collectibles Showcase at the Cow Palace in San Francisco on May 1-3, even with an asking price of $300-$700 per item...[a] notorious tough signature to obtain, mostly because of Mays disdain for signing, a few rumble strips did pop up at the show, as Mays rejected five items during his appearance... [h]e told another fan that he would only sign the person’s one-of-a-kind item with an additional $1,000 donation to Mays’ charitable foundation – after the fan had already paid $700 for the autograph tickets. Ultimately, the collector did pony up the $1,700 and Mays signed the item."

http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.co...ng_appearance/
Old 05-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Mays needs to get over himself. He was a great baseball player, but without fans and people that care about you & your signature, etc. he's just a surly, sour 78 year old guy. Yet, these are the very people that he likes to treat like crap. Mays was given a talent many would sell their soul for, he got to play a game for a living and has made quite a bit of money in the process AND been idolized by many people. Not a bad life if you ask the average Joe, yet Mays (and other surly ex-ballplayers like Joe DiMaggio) are so egotistical they can't appreciate the great gift that they have been given.

Compare Mays to someone like Dale Murphy, while Murphy wasn't as talented as Mays, he has used his celebrity/fame to do so many good things it is truly inspiring.

While Mays' baseball ability is admired by many, he as a person is admired by very few, pretty sad if you ask me.

-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 05-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Chris / prewarprints.com

$1700 is absurd. I don't know how anyone could ask that much for an auto.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:43 PM

-

Last edited by Vintagedegu; 08-21-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:17 PM

Rhett,

I couldn't have said it better myself. Almost as unfortunate is Hank Aaron. While I understand that he is actually very courteous in his charitable causes, his autograph appearance persona is far less affable. For some reason, though, it makes sense when you think of it from Aaron's perspective; Mays really never endured the same kind of personal torment.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Steven Finley

Ridiculous. Paying $700 for a sig that's worth a third of that. I hope Mays needs me to break a bill for him one day. I'll offer him $27.50 for $100 and donate the other $73.50 to charity.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:45 AM
David Herrell

I wonder what he charges trading card companies to sign cards for them. Certainly not $700 per.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:46 AM
Richard Simon

I know we are all collectors and autograph guys are just as passionate as other collectors,,, BUT $1700 for a Willie Mays autograph??? Who was the guy who would pay that???
Old 05-12-2009, 04:40 PM

I wonder how many items Mays signed at this show? As I noted in a previous thread about the Hunt / Philly show, he probably signed around 60 tickets at a minimum of $269 a pop which is idiotic in itself. Mays never got it, (he was a dink when I first me him in 1988) and he certainly doesn't get it now. These players are all out of their minds. They all think their signature and time is worth a lot more than actual fair market. Wow, SCD is still around? I wasn't aware of that.

DanC
Old 05-12-2009, 10:12 PM

Perhaps guy brought in a Mays painting he made and really, really wanted Mays' signature on it.

Last edited by drc; 05-12-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:09 AM
Gary Weatherhead

A reluctant signor, I believe there is still ongoing resentment that he was not properly recognized as the great player he was and felt overshadowed by players he considered to have lessor ability. But 1,700 for a signature, I will gladly pass.

Best
Gary
Old 05-13-2009, 04:46 AM
Tom Boblitt

part of the ruination of the in-person autograph business is all the crap about different prices for different items.

Balls & Flats up to 8x10 $50
Flats up to 16X20 $120
Bats $195
Original Artwork $250
Photo with player $50
Inscriptions $25
Player will not inscribe 500 HRS
Player will not sign Non-licensed bats
Blah Blah Blah

It's a freaking autograph!!!! I've seen some of them with 10-15 things for a single player like Reggie Jackson or Mays or whomever. Some signers are gracious wonderful people when signing just as they are in life. Mays is a SCHMUCK. I had a Perez Steele with Him, Mickey & Duke Snider. Mantle already signed it (another 'FUN' experience as well....but RIP) and mays was next. Instead of signing directly under his face on his chest, he signed to the right a little which just happened to go right through Duke Snider's face. I just looked at him. Danc has it right up there.....Mays just never got it. Sooner or later, you have to move on in life......he'll obviously die a bitter curmudgeon of a man.......fortunately, I don't have that card anymore.....but I do have the wonderful memories!
Old 05-13-2009, 05:38 AM

"Ridiculous. Paying $700 for a sig that's worth a third of that.."

(in my best Yogi imitation) A third of 700 is still twice more than I'd pay for it, half of the time.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Gary Weatherhead

I never got a sig from him when I did the East Coast show circuit: But I sure heard a lot of people complaining he wouldn't look up and had a very dismissive attitude.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:41 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Gary
You may be on to something. For the 20 years he was playing ball, everyone said he was the same calibre as Ruth and Cobb. Now, contemporaries like Aaron, Mantle, Clemente, and Williams get all the attention. Now, he gets to sign drawings of himself standing next to Mickey Mantle and Duke Snider. Maybe he'd smile if you asked him to sign of drawing of him with Ruth, Cobb, and Wagner.
Mark
Old 05-13-2009, 01:46 PM
William Peebles

Mark, he'd probably charge more to sign a drawing with Ruth and Cobb, after all, it's Ruth and Cobb, not Mickey and the Duke.

Willie's a strange cat. I've met him a handful of times in Cooperstown. Cash only, one person at a time, no guarantees. Most likely he'll sign over someone else or sign upside down. No rhyme or reason, he just likes to have the upper hand. He can be gracious though. I was behind someone a few years ago, guy with two kids. He's getting a ball signed for one of his sons. Willie asks, "what about your other son, shouldn't he get one too"? Dad replies, "sorry, it's too expensive for one, I can't afford two". Willie, "well that's not right, you must have some more money, how much you got"? Dad, "no really, I can't." Willie, "how about $60"? Dad, "I don't have $60 on me." Willie, "well, how much you got?" Dad opens his wallet, "$20 is all I have". Willie, "for $20 your other son can be happy too". Dad, relunctantly, "ok".

See, Willie can be human. His regular price was $120, yet he was willing to meet the dad half way at $60 for a ball. Then, in the spirit of baseball, practically gives his signature away at 16 cents on the dollar. After the kids walk away smiling, and the dad wonders what he's going to say to his wife, I put my book down in front of Willie. He then proceeds to sign my book on top of Stan Musial. Willie Mays, one of the greatest.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:07 PM
Banned

William,

I don't know that I've read a story that was equal parts sad and great at the same time.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:31 PM
William Peebles

With Willie, every encounter makes for a fantastically sad story.

My first was equally as memorable. In '99 my friend and I attended the induction ceremony and decided to pony up the cash to meet THE Willie Mays. We had our tickets in hand since that morning. Couldn't believe we were actually going to meet him, it was awesome. Signing time rolls around, we get our baseballs signed, I stick my hand out to shake hands with the legend himself. He stares me down, sizes me up, leaves me standing there for about four beats before he finally throws that paw out over the table. I'll never forget this. His finger nails were manicured and polished, and, this actually shocked me, he had the softest hands I've ever felt. Big as a bear and soft as a peach. Reminded me of the scene from Jaws when Quint comments to Hooper that he's got "city hands, been counting money all your life". Should have asked him to tie a sheepshank.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:31 PM
William Peebles

double post

Last edited by william_9; 05-13-2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: double post