NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-14-2019, 02:10 PM
Shale Levine

Default Pennant guys, would love an opinion

two weeks ago a jackie robinson pennnant sold on ebay for over $2300.00

Yesterday I bought one on ebay for $90.00 but would love to know if it is original. The one i bought is 21" x 8"

Here are the two pictures with the $2300.00 one and the one I bought.

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (78.4 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg (73.2 KB, 295 views)
Old 02-14-2019, 04:21 PM
Rob

Hopefully, Mark S. chimes in.....the one you show is not one of “the 4” Jackie Robinson pennants Mark identified. That said, your pennant DOES look vintage to me. It doesn’t say “Jackie Robinson” on it, but who else could it be?

edit: I changed my mind. Like Josh, I don’t like the font. Also, blue seems to be a felt color that is VERY susceptible to fading, yet your blue is vibrant.

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 02-15-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:06 PM

Default no good

Thumbs down. "Dodgers" font looks more modern. Felt and especially the tassels have that Mitchell and Ness modern look. Even the shape is not right. Design wise looks strange as if lifted from the other pennant. Gut says no.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:17 AM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

I think it’s a homemade pennant, looks like poor quality control.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:22 AM

I believe it’s probably a home made pennant too. Did you by chance buy it from a Canadian seller? I ask because about a month or so ago I bought an Eagles pennant I had never seen before from a Canadian seller - when I received it I could tell it was hand painted, and likely a relatively modern handmade pennant. The seller had other similar pennants of assorted sports.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:20 PM
Rob

It's a homemade pennant from a scammer in Canada. I took a flyer on one last year to check it out and it was garbage. The quality of a child's crafts project.

He didn't offer returns but I messaged him stating it was garbage and I wanted a refund. He refunded immediately and said I didn't even have to sent it back. He charged me $195 for the thing, so if it was really worth anything he wouldn't have said that.

I returned it anyway.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:31 PM
Rob

It's nowhere near the quality of Mitchell & Ness. This guy has sold many of these over the past year or so. Multiple sports. Totaling thousands of dollars. Somehow, he has 100% feedback. I don't get it.

One of the reasons I decided to take a flyer was because a bunch of his recent feedback at the time was from the sale of these and it was all positive.

I can't imagine anyone who knows or cares about vintage sports memorabilia would be happy with these crafts class rejects.

One other thing I've noticed is that his listings are very topical. For example...The Rams are in the Super Bowl and suddenly he has a "unique" Rams pennant for sale. Jackie Robinson pennant sells for 2K, now he has a "unique" Jackie Robinson pennant for sale. I've noticed it other times as well.

Last thing on this...It seems he's upgraded his felt. The one I purchased was thin and stiff and most definitely not felt as he had described. Since I pointed that out to him, he seems to have upgraded.

Last edited by Fballguy; 02-15-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:12 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I can't add much to what Rob and everyone else have already stated.

Other than the fact that the seller uses a classic yet sneaky ploy to lure in potential buyers. He prices these pennants about one third lower than what authentic vintage examples would cost. A good deal less than market value, but A LOT more money than a correctly listed reproduction would command.

And then he lets people's greed and lust for the hobby take over. Unfortunately people tend to see these things with their hearts and not their heads, when there's a deal to be had. But all you have to do is look at his multiple other listings and ask yourself... What are the odds of one seller coming into all of these previously unseen examples (all of which look about 75% correct?)

Last edited by perezfan; 02-15-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:28 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Get a refund and get it quick.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:44 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
It's nowhere near the quality of Mitchell & Ness. This guy has sold many of these over the past year or so. Multiple sports. Totaling thousands of dollars. Somehow, he has 100% feedback. I don't get it.

One of the reasons I decided to take a flyer was because a bunch of his recent feedback at the time was from the sale of these and it was all positive.

I can't imagine anyone who knows or cares about vintage sports memorabilia would be happy with these crafts class rejects.

One other thing I've noticed is that his listings are very topical. For example...The Rams are in the Super Bowl and suddenly he has a "unique" Rams pennant for sale. Jackie Robinson pennant sells for 2K, now he has a "unique" Jackie Robinson pennant for sale. I've noticed it other times as well.

Last thing on this...It seems he's upgraded his felt. The one I purchased was thin and stiff and most definitely not felt as he had described. Since I pointed that out to him, he seems to have upgraded.
Kind of apropos of the feedback thing....I recently had a guy screw me on eBay...I took it to resolution and eBay agreed with me and issued a refund. Great, but after that, unable to leave feedback. WTF???
Old 02-15-2019, 06:22 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I can't add much to what Rob and everyone else have already stated.

Other than the fact that the seller uses a classic yet sneaky ploy to lure in potential buyers. He prices these pennants about one third lower than what authentic vintage examples would cost. A good deal less than market value, but A LOT more money than a correctly listed reproduction would command.

And then he lets people's greed and lust for the hobby take over. Unfortunately people tend to see these things with their hearts and not their heads, when there's a deal to be had. But all you have to do is look at his multiple other listings and ask yourself... What are the odds of one seller coming into all of these previously unseen examples (all of which look about 75% correct?)
Nailed it Mark.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:55 PM
keith janosky

How come the OP isn't chiming in on these replies? Let us know what ya think. We all get burned once in a while.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:20 PM
Joe Hunter

Default Homemade pennant

I just noticed he sold a ridiculous looking Kansas City Chiefs pennant display in Jan for well over $200.00! What are people thinking?
Old 02-16-2019, 08:41 PM

Joe,

That is the problem, they aren't.

David
Old 02-18-2019, 03:17 PM
Rob

How lucky is this guy to find all these rare Rams pennants right as they're playing in the Super Bowl? Can't believe people are paying in excess of $200 for these things...with $20 shipping no less. The minis down below are a bargain at $50-$75 (plus $15 shipping!). PT Barnum would be proud.

image host
image host
image host
image host
image host
Old 02-18-2019, 03:53 PM
Rob

Man, those are bad!!

Do you figure he screen prints them, hand paints them, or what????

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 02-18-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:25 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Man, those are bad!!

Do you figure he screen prints them, hand paints them, or what????
Those Rams look hand painted to me. The one looking directly at you especially.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:48 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

The guy actually has some talent. I don't know how he does it either, but some parts like the Coliseum and a few of the Ram Heads look like they would be very difficult to paint by hand.

Of course it is completely BS (and criminal) that he's selling these as vintage. But if he put them out there as a craft project or "modern folk art", I might think it was pretty cool.

Last edited by perezfan; 02-19-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:44 PM
Rob

He definitely skirts around claiming they're old...using the word "unique" instead.

The first pic I posted above, is actually the most impressive to me. His football looks legit and the crazy looking Rams looks a lot like the one on the real pennant. The other Rams look very amateurish. That being said, I hope he get's busted...but doubt he will.