NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-26-2007, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Default What REALLY makes this hobby enjoyable ?

Posted By: Alan

I'm not sure if this question has been posed before. I'd be curious to know from everyone (high end registry collectors, dealers, investors, low-end collectors, raw collectors, slab collectors, etc,...) what actually makes the hobby enjoyable/fun for you ????

Is it winning something rare on ebay at a good price ?
Is it finally completing a set ?
Is it finding cards at low prices to "resell" ?
Is it going thru ads in SCD or B/S/T ?
Is it researching aspects of baseball history ?
Is it going thru/bidding in the auction catalogs ?
Is it meeting & socializing with the collectors/dealers at shows ?
Is it this message board ?
etc,...

Any thoughts ?

Thanks.
Alan

Old 04-26-2007, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

Its all about buying a rarity you've been looking for at a good price and seeing the package in the mail box, its a good feeling

Old 04-26-2007, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

Posts like this!

Old 04-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

What Jay said, posts like this!

Also, finding the last card to complete a set.

Simply reading some of the big catalogs.

Learning something you didn't know before.

Seeing cards you've never seen before.

Collecting what I like to collect and learning what others like to collect.

Lusting after Leon's Four Base Hits Kelley. (Hi, Leon).

Going to the National.

Moonlight Graham.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Escaping my daily routines for a few brief moments each time I look at cards mine or other folks. It’s a great feeling of enjoyment even if it’s through a cardboard conduit that’s 100 yrs old etc.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Friends first and cards first.....in that order ....I never understood the few folks that have said they didn't come here to make friends, because that IS the reason I come here....and to collect cards with them. I feel that 99% of board members are great folks....the other 1% I prefer not to associate with.....though they are still more than welcome to offer their views and opinions...I truly believe I like the camaraderie almost as much as the cards.....

edited for spelling and to say "Hi back, Bruce".....it's great you are back with us...I wish everyone was as easy going and as nice as you always are.....

Old 04-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Snyder

What makes the hobby most interesting to me is the caricatures of the players. I collect T206 and 205s. 33-34 Goudey and 1952 Topps are of a class of their own. Although I have never seen Ty Cobb or Christy Mathewson play ball, their pictures can create scenes in my imagination that bring me back to the days when baseball was a different sort of pasttime.

I go for the most infamous names in the sport, although there are many not-so well-known pre-war cards that I would consider to be values as they can be gotten very inexpensively. THey might be good choices of investment considering where the industry is headed, value-wise.

I remember the good days (60s) of baseball when interest was mainly in what the player contributed to the game, not what the game contributes to him. I never knew how much Mickey Mantle or Hank Aaron made. It was never an issue.

Although players A-Rod may go down being one of the best, his name will always be tainted to me becasue of the glutonous amount of money he makes and how much is determined by money.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

I agree with Leon, cards and friends mix well. Card shows seem to be dying out and that's unfortunate because that's where I used to gather with friends and just talk about cards and sports for hours.

The value of the cards is secondary. If it ever becomes primary, I'll just go to some stock market forum instead.

Peter

Old 04-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Oh, wait, that's rock and roll.

All of the above.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Piccuito

I am some what new to the board and I have read some crazy posts the last few months, but this post is why we are all connected to this forum. I have been collecting a long time, but have had to let go many of my items to help with family responsibilities. Even though I cannot afford everything I want, I have the memories of holding the first Babe Ruth signed ball I found or the first Cobb card I owned. The history about baseball and other sports will always be apart of me, I have kept most of the books that I have read over the years. I still search the internet for interesting news and stories about sports and the hobby. During weekends I am active at local shows, and I help dealers and collectors find items and sell items to help me understand more about the hobby. What really makes this hobby so enjoyable is the history it gives all of us. I come across some amazing items at shows that you may only see once or a group of cards that have not been see for years. I have found a way to stay focused in the hobby through selling and buying and found ways to improve my knowledge, and help others along the way.

Take Care

Jimmy

Old 04-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Jimmy,

Welcome aboard. I enjoy the hobby pretty much the same way you do. The problem here in the Bay Area is the number of card shows are dropping. Where would you go to meet with the guys to discuss cards and sports for a couple of hours.

Peter

Old 04-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Neat question - I picked a couple of Alans (the original poster) questions and put them in order. I removed some that didn't apply:

YES - Is it researching aspects of baseball history?
YES - Is it finally completing a set?
YES, ALTHOUGH IT IS A RARE OCCURENCE - Is it winning something rare on ebay at a good price?
YES, ALTHOUGH WINNING THESE AUCTIONS IS A RARE OCCURENCE - Is it going thru/bidding in the auction catalogs?
YES - Is it meeting & socializing with the collectors/dealers at shows?

SoSo - Is it going thru ads in SCD or B/S/T?

ONLY WHEN I'M IN NEED OF SOAP OPERATIC READING - Is it this message board?

NO - Is it finding cards at low prices to "resell"?

Old 04-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Fred,

You think of this board as being similar to a soap opera...that's great.

I suppose your thinking about those old daytime TV soap operas. Which soap opera would we resemble.

Peter

Old 04-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Piccuito

Peter,

I travel up and down the East Coast and there are many events and trade shows in all states, you just have to look. This past weekend I was at a show that was mainly for autographs, but I would agree that the numbers of card shows are dropping. The interest in collecting is still there, I just think people are confused about were the hobby is going. I try to have a good understanding of what is going on the internet and the shows, because there are collectors and dealers that need support in the hobby with all the different services and auctions, it can get confusing.

Jimmy

Old 04-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Evans

Friends (hope to see all at the National), cards and this website (thanks Leon & others). Being retired, I've got time on my hands and hate to think how much is devoted to eBay and Net 54. Mark

Old 04-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Yes to all of those things....

It has always fascinated me that when I've gone to a baseball game, all sorts of folks take 2 1/2 or 3 hours out of their life and watch a game. Nuns can sit beside hard hat construction workers, bikers, bankers, lawyers, housewives, kids, factory workers, accountants... and all of them set aside their differences and cheer for a team.

That is one of the valuable aspects of the hobby and this board. I'm looking at a cigar box full of stuff that 99% of the folks with whom we interact with daily couldn't identify, other than by saying they were some old baseball cards. But here I'm with guys who recognize the players, know what they did, know when the card was printed, who else is in the set, and while of lesser importance to me would have an idea as to value. It is comforting and reassuring to associate with folks who have that similar basis of knowledge and appreciation. It validates our hobby.

There's an old wise collector I once met when we were bunched together to go to a baseball game. We'd heard of one another, and knew each collected cards and knew a bit of baseball history. As we rode along he brought out an envelope that had a bunch of old cards in it, and proceeded to ask trivia questions of our group. If you got the question right you'd get the card. I held back, being new to the group... After a while a question started about a player. He was a member of the Hall of Fame. Only one at bat was the next clue. I spoke up, "In 1936 for the St. Louis Cardinals". He smiled at me, and rubbed his hands, everyone else asked how I could know the year with just HOF and one at bat. The collector said this player was a substitute for a HOFer who'd been ejected. I said he played first base. The collector said the ejected first baseman was Johnny Mize. Then I told him the player in question struck out in that only at bat.

The other guys on the trip still didn't know who the player was. But here on this board, many of you do. And that is the great thing about this hobby and all of you guys, even the ones I argue and rant with.

Frank.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I enjoy the history of the game, the cards obviously, & the comaraderie. I've haven't met any of the board members yet, but hope to make it to Leon's next Texas get together if he has one. I've had many positive dealings from this board. Also, I find just looking at cards very relaxing.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Peter,

Actually, I don't watch soaps but I'm sure some of the threads here could rival some of the script writing of those programs.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

research,colleagues,camaraderie

all the best

barry

Old 04-26-2007, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

research, learning, seeing interesting things and meeting nice people

Old 04-27-2007, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

Remember that feeling as a kid you got when you walked through the turn styles at an amusement park??

That is the same feeling I get when I walk through the doors of a card show! 

'edited to correct spelling

Marty

Old 04-27-2007, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I enjoy the challenge of the hunt. Finding that one rare card, where maybe 50 or less exist, and finding it in decent shape. Though we all know sometimes we have to take what we can get. I enjoy meeting and chatting with other collectors, dealers, and just plain folks who love baseball history. Though most friends assume I am also a die hard modern fan as well. I can name more players from the 20's and 30's than I can from the current rosters. Not sure what that means. Since I was born in the 50's.
I also do presentations, and get to display things people would never otherwise ever get a chance to see. Personal items belonging to the players, such as Lou Gehrig's personal health club pass, or sterling silver awards given to Foxx, Etc. Etc. People just about wet themselves if they see anything to do with Ruth. We are so immersed in this stuff, we forget the average person has never even seen anything relating to Ruth and the guys. And many things can be framed and hung in my office. Makes it look very cool. I Do Not Do this as an investment. I do it for fun.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve

Many aspects make it fun.

Most rewarding is owning a vintage, upper tier HOF'er card PSA or SGC graded 1 of 1 with none higher - extra special if you were original submitter from raw card.

What I miss most? Going to a quality card show in person. Portland, Oregon might as well be on planet Pluto in the card collecting world.

What I don't miss most? Picking up a nice card at a card show back before grading companies - upon closer inspection at home - the horror - the card has a wrinkle !

Steve.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

To me it is mostly stress relief. I can cruise ebay, marvel at REA and Mastro, try to win something somewhere, and read this board - all without ever really thinking about work or school or the normal stresses of a day. It's a geniune tune-out. (Same thing with kite-flying, which is why I also enjoy that when I can make the time.)

I also like the cards. They are a perfect way for me to tangibly express and connect with a love of baseball, and history, and historical baseball. Cards keeps this in the present every day in a way that reading books, etc, cannot. The cards (and in turn the players, teams and times they represent) are part of the fabric of my life instead of something I specifically have to do - such as read, etc.

I also like the people and the way those on this board so freely share knowledge. I even don't mind the fighting to the extent is shows the diversity of the participants in this hobby - and the fact that we are all on this board means that the commonalities override the differences. I also like accumulating knowledge of my own and feeling like I've accomplished something by knowing about these cards.

Joann

Old 04-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

The final minute of an ebay auction for a tough card listed in the wrong category.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed

Bringing these characters back to life.

I wish all of the long gone players could read this board. The common players and minors would be especially thrilled to know they are far from forgotten.

Old 04-29-2007, 04:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

remembering opening the first pack of cards and seeing the new design for the year and best of all the smell of the gum.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mr. moses

for an all about me moment. Upon introspection, I think that there are often times I am too passionate, too involved in what are merely things to other people. But these things are in fact a bridge that connects me to history. Within these pre-1920 artifacts I can explore science and literature, trace troubled and rightious lives, and revel in great achievements. Sometimes I can just lose myself in the simplicity of an earlier time. Photographs are like windows you can look thru. Trade cards, like the pages of the scrap books they were found in, are filled with insights reflected in what is written and what is implied. Early base ball, boxing, and sports embody an irrepressible spirit that was often beautifully captured by the renderings of an un-named artist's vision and the lithographer's handiwork on a tin or tobacco insert card. Laughter, sexuality, fraternity, and wonderment were all addressed within the confines of a small rectangular piece of cardboard and a wash of ink. The civil war, tobacco companies, monopolies and conglomerates, the railroad, chromolithography, mechanization, prosperity, education, photography and scientific advances are all factors that helped define the middle to late 19th century, and they are all inextricably entwined. One needs simply to grasp a single thread to explore them all (at least that's what happened to me). This period I collect (1860-1916) was marked by some of the most dramatic changes in the history of man - from the deaths of nearly a third of our citizens, to the technological renaissance born of its horrors by way of mechanization, industrialization and transportation. There is the visceral as well that perpetuates and drives my hobbying; the thrill of the chase-the hunt- the triumphant return from a paper show with an Allen & Ginter banner hoisted in the air like a prize buck splayed over the hood of a car (I told you I'm a little strange). I also enjoy the banter with those of similar interests and the excitement generated by an unexpected discovery that mitigates something thought to be FACT and casts new light on it. SO I GUESS MAYBE IT'S ALL ABOUT "US" rather than just me "-)

Old 04-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

What generally turns me off in the hobby is the obsession in some quarters with high prices: "CNN.com reports Honus Wagner sells for $2.5 millions," "PSA: Mastro Shatters Auction Prices," "Sotheby's Expects Ruth Bat to break $1 million."

I like to meet a collector on a normal, even limited budget, who genuinely enjoys what he or she collects. If he's enthusiastically finishing a raw 1980 Topps set in Very Good condition, that's great.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Certainly all of the above, and this Forum as a vehicle to put me in touch with the specialists, who are among the experts in their field.

Alan: Please e-mail me at identify7@peoplepc.com. I can not contact you, and I have a question in your area of specialization.

Thank you,
Gil

Old 05-01-2007, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Going in together with 9 other Net 54 Board members to buy a large lot of cards on ebay and everybody pulling together and getting what we wanted.
That's what it is all about

Old 05-01-2007, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Two words... The girls! jk