NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-19-2017, 06:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default RIP Ron Barrett - Longtime Dealer Collector

I received an email from a longtime hobby friend and dealer concerning the passing of another longtime dealer, who used to set up at a lot of shows, Ron Barrett. My friend, who prefers to stay anonymous, said he was recently sending out some Christmas cards and the wife of another of his dealer friends let him know that Ron had passed away. I was asked if I would post this for him to let folks know. RIP Mr. Barrett.

Last edited by Leon; 12-19-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:04 AM

Hi, Leon,

I am extremely saddened to learn of Ron's passing. Although I knew he had been in declining health for some years, he nevertheless remained one of the older and wiser dealers of his generation. Ron not only knew the hobby of collecting baseball cards, he knew the history of baseball which for me was intriguing. It was always a pleasure to spend time with Ron and his wife Sheila at their booth at the old Ft. Washington Show.

Ron was an attorney, and he retired after a long federal career in order to indulge his pleasure of dealing in cards. He was unselfishly helpful to me, and other collectors, and I will always remember him as a man of integrity, good humor, and good will. Ron made collecting vintage baseball cards a joyful learning experience.

Respectfully,
Mike

Last edited by Michael Peich; 12-19-2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:45 AM

Sad to hear this. I purchased a number of items from Ron some years back, and would see him frequently at shows. Really nice guy. Condolences to his family and friends.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:21 PM

Sad news. I saw Ron pretty regularly at Chantilly show, and even bumped into once at a Nats game. Great guy, wonderful sense of humor.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:58 PM

Default RIP Ron

Very sad news indeed. I will share this picture again of Ron entering AJs (the local card shop) ahead of Bob Menefee, both have now passed away. Lot of memories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005bbuu.jpg (40.4 KB, 450 views)
Old 12-19-2017, 06:12 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default sad loss

Yes, Ron was a prince among dealers. He and Sheila always welcomed us happily behind the table to chat and swap stories. Many of my fondest Ft Washington memories involve them. He will be missed.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:24 PM
Val Kehl

I've never met a nicer dealer than Ron. Here's his obit that appeared in the Washington Post. Net54 was well represented at the graveside service on November 2nd.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barrett, Ron - obituary.jpg (79.3 KB, 360 views)
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:42 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Default Great guy

Had many wonderful interactions with Ron. Always friendly and easy to deal with. He was one of the true good guys.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:31 AM

Ron was a GREAT GUY! He would set up next to me and Pops at the Pikesville, MD Armory show back in the mid 1980's.

I remember near the end of the show on Sunday, a guy came to his table and bought all of Ron's common T206s, about 120 of them I think, at $25 each!

That was very high back then, after the guy left, Ron looked at me and Pops and said:

"What in the hell is he going to do with those? He can't resell them at that price."

Too Funny!

I miss you Ron!! I am quite sure I will see you again.

Dan Mckee
Old 12-21-2017, 04:08 PM
Hank Thomas

Ron was the living refutation to the accusation thrown around that our hobby is nothing more than a den of thieves and brigands. Always pleasant to deal with, and boy did he ever know his stuff when it came to cards! One time I took him a very pretty Johnson T-206 portrait that had walked in to see what he thought it was worth. After looking it over for about five seconds, he handed it back and said, "this will get a four." I said, "really, are you sure about that?" and he nodded his head. You can guess what it graded. R.I.P. Ron, it was a real pleasure to know you.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:02 PM
Brandon Bailey

Great guy, sad to hear. Many dealings over the years, great sense of humor and all around good guy.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:32 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Ron Barrett was a great all around guy. I used to look forward to seeing him at the shows. We had some great conversations, talking BB and BB cards.

GOD BLESS your soul, Ron......and, may GOD comfort your family.

TED Z
Old 12-28-2017, 12:27 PM

Ron was a great friend for many years. When I used to set up at shows I’d request a table next to or near Ron’s so we could hang out. We frequently bought and sold cards to each other so many items in our showcases were mine, his and often mine again. He would explain to me “what we lose on each transaction, we make up in volume...” and then give that Ron smile and start laughing. A great guy who I miss.

Andy