NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-13-2011, 05:41 AM
TT40391

Default Question about Trimmed graded cards

Good morning everyone. I was looking at a card on ebay that was returned with a sgc label that said trim. I thought trimmed cards were given a Auth grade? Is the Auth grade just for cards they deemed were miscut on the original print sheet and strip cards? As always thanks for any info you can provide.

Tony Turner
Old 09-13-2011, 05:51 AM
jim quinlisk

Authentic can be trimmed or altered as well as undersized
Old 09-13-2011, 09:11 AM
TT40391

Default Why would they put trim then

If that is the case why would SGC send one back to a person with trim on the label instead of Auth then?
Old 09-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Brian J0hns0n

Because that is an option when sending cards to SGC for grading. You can choose to encapsulate altered cards by checking a box, or by not checking they come back raw with an explanation why not graded.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:52 AM
TT40391

Default thanks brian

Thanks for the update Brian. I am not familiar with all of the grading procedures.

Tony Turner
Old 09-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Scott H.

My question is, aren't grading companies suppose to give cut cards an Authentic grade and not a numerical one? I have seen cards with numerical grades that have been cut from panels.

Last edited by MilBraves; 09-13-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilBraves View Post
My question is, aren't grading companies suppose to give cut cards an Authentic grade and not a numerical one? I have seen cards with numerical grades that have been cut from panels.
Generally it depends on how much of the borders are left as to a numerical grade being given over an AUT. The more of the border that is left the more likely it will get a number. I personally disagree with the way it's done, but that is just me. I think any hand cut card (and made to be cut) should only get an AUT grade if it is in fact cut. Now that being said I think, right or wrong, a numbered card will garner more value than an AUT card. I cracked this card and submitted it at the National. It now resides in an SGC 20 holder...

Old 09-14-2011, 06:21 AM
Scott H.

To me, it just seems too random as to what they will grade and what they wont. I think their policy should be Hand Cut=Authentic regardless of how well little Johnny learned to use a scissors in kindergarten.

Here are two good examples.

The first card is cut, but PSA graded it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-Johnsto...item4aaa940abb

This card they just gave an Authentic to.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-JOHNSTO...item3a646385a1

Sure it says on both cards they are hand cut. But why the grade for one and not the other? The borders are almost identicle.

Last edited by MilBraves; 09-14-2011 at 06:22 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Generally it depends on how much of the borders are left as to a numerical grade being given over an AUT. The more of the border that is left the more likely it will get a number. I personally disagree with the way it's done, but that is just me. I think any hand cut card (and made to be cut) should only get an AUT grade if it is in fact cut. Now that being said I think, right or wrong, a numbered card will garner more value than an AUT card. I cracked this card and submitted it at the National. It now resides in an SGC 20 holder...

Even the GAI flip is trimmed... looks like they couldn't get the whole word "Authentic" on it