NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-12-2011, 02:54 PM
BJ Cunningham

Default Joe Dunn in a Jack Dunn Slab

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

How does that happen? Contacted the seller to say it's not Jack Dunn and he said he would change the listing title...
Old 09-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Frank Wakefield

It happens because humans are involved... their presence in the slabbing process brings randomness to what otherwise would be slab perfection.

Maybe the slabber knew better and just made a mistake. Maybe he had no idea and did the best he could. Maybe he was reading about Ruth and Dunn and got the Dunn's mixed up. Maybe someone submitted it as Jack Dunn and the slabber fell for it.

If the BIN wasn't so high I'd consider buying it. It's crossed my mind more than once to sell off a bunch of cards, then focus on a collection of slabbed cards where the slips are wrong. I'm not talking about a mistake in grade, or a crease or spot overlooked... I'm talking about making a mistake about the set, the series, the player's name, or the pose or variation misidentified.

I liked the line a few days ago where someone bristled a bit at the use of the word raw, and preferred 'pure' to describe unslabbed cards. I've decided that natural might be the way to describe them. I collect natural cards, not those that have been altered by slabbing.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcunningham View Post
How does that happen?
It happened because the caption on the card is incorrect. The image is of Joe Dunn who played for Brooklyn however the caption is for Jack Dunn who played for Baltimore. The TPG based the flip on the caption and not the image.

The caption on this card lists Sweeney as Boston American when he played for Boston National.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Phil Garry

Same thing happened to me at the National this year. Seller had a 1916 Springfield minor league team panorama and highlighted it with "Jack" Dunn, discoverer of Babe Ruth. Turned out to be Joe Dunn instead.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Jim R

Tim is correct-the caption says Dunn Baltimore but the art work is Dunn Brooklyn.

coupon Type 1 has it correct which makes the type 2 more puzzeling. I am guessing that was just a mistake or the only Dunn image they had.

Recently%252520Updated171.jpg
Old 09-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Archive

Like others have said, it happens from time to time. I have a couple T206s that have been labeled wrong by the graders. One is a card of Vic Willis and the label reads Willie Keeler. Another has the date as 1909 when actually the back is a Sweet Caporal 350-460.

Jantz