NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-26-2017, 09:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 1909 Japanese Baseball Postcard - Kyoto University

Do we have any folks who can interpret this? The shipping was almost as much as the postcard. I almost fainted when I saw the 20 dollar charge on a 30 dollar pc...(after I hit the BIN )...but it was from Japan so guess it wasn't that bad. According to the description it was from Kyoto University and was their baseball team.

Last edited by Leon; 05-26-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:30 AM

Hey Leon,

I think the front translates to "The third higher school team".
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:03 AM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I almost fainted when I saw the 20 dollar charge on a 30 dollar pc.
Kinda how I feel every time I see an eBay item that has Global Shipping. Sucks big time.

That's a terrific postcard. Send out the Bat Signal to Robert Klevens. He should be able to translate it. Looks to me like W squeaked by T 27-zip but I could be wrong.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:44 PM
Den*nis O*Brien

Default Agreee With.....

.....Kawika that Mr Klevens is the "Go To" guy on translating these baseball items. Rob Fitts of Robs Japanese Baseball Cards is also very knowledgeable. And I also agree that is quite the postcard...but $20.00 postage!!!!#^&!)|!!
Old 05-26-2017, 12:54 PM
D.mitr.y D.

It's postmarked April 18th, 1909

Last edited by sterlingfox; 05-26-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:54 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

AWESOME item! I would have paid without (much) hesitation.

of course, I once got in a bidding war for a raw 1965 Topps Dick Groat and paid 57 freaking dollars.

-from the school of 'I want what I want when I want it.'

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-26-2017, 01:03 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Seanofjapan is a member who lives in Japan, reads Japanese, and is an avid Japanese card collector. Send him a pm.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:56 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Kinda how I feel every time I see an eBay item that has Global Shipping. Sucks big time.

That's a terrific postcard. Send out the Bat Signal to Robert Klevens. He should be able to translate it. Looks to me like W squeaked by T 27-zip but I could be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den*nis O*Brien View Post
.....Kawika that Mr Klevens is the "Go To" guy on translating these baseball items. Rob Fitts of Robs Japanese Baseball Cards is also very knowledgeable. And I also agree that is quite the postcard...but $20.00 postage!!!!#^&!)|!!
Yep, then pay the CDN/U.S. exchange rate, and it's another 30% on top of that!
Old 05-26-2017, 10:08 PM
Robert Klevens

It is dated April 18, 1909 (Meiji 42). It is a bit confusing but I believe the team pictured is the The Third Senior High School of Nihon University. The handwriting on the back is referring to a game between Waseda and Tokyo. The card was sent from Tokyo to Nagano prefecture. The seller wrote in the description that shipping by registered mail was $7. I guess the default was set to $20 for EMS. Still a nice looking card.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:07 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks Robert!! Seven dollars would have been better but it is what it is. I liked the look of the PC quite a bit so probably would have still nabbed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles View Post
It is dated April 18, 1909 (Meiji 42). It is a bit confusing but I believe the team pictured is the The Third Senior High School of Nihon University. The handwriting on the back is referring to a game between Waseda and Tokyo. The card was sent from Tokyo to Nagano prefecture. The seller wrote in the description that shipping by registered mail was $7. I guess the default was set to $20 for EMS. Still a nice looking card.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:49 AM
Sean McGinty

Bit late with my reply, Robert already covered the details.

Its definitely a high school team that is pictured, I'm not sure why the seller would have identified it as Kyoto University's team.

Its interesting to look at the linescore that the writer has included of the game between Waseda and Tokyo. Looks like the final score was 27-0 for Waseda. The game started at 2:30 and was finished by 4:00, what a blowout.

Tokyo University is the most prestigious university in Japan, but has a notoriously bad baseball team (even over a century after this was sent). Waseda on the other hand has a very strong one (again still 100 years later) which is reflected pretty strongly in the result. This is because Waseda is a private university which can recruit the best players out of high school while Tokyo is a public university which can't do that (the same applies across all universities, private ones get the best athletes while public ones tend to get the best brains).

Last edited by seanofjapan; 05-30-2017 at 12:51 AM.