NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-03-2019, 05:19 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Reflections on 1949 BOWMAN's (25 HOFers, many Rookies)...show-N-tell us of your cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
Can you comment on the light and dark backs of the first series (1-73 minus #4)? Are the dark backs rarer? When I put my set together without paying attention to the backs, I ended up with 44 light backs and 28 dark backs so it appears that the dark backs are harder to find. Do you know if that is really true?
Hi Jay

BOWMAN printed and issued their 1st series (72 cards) with White backs. These cards were very plentiful in the Spring of 1949, especially in the Northeast.
The Gray backs followed (circa May-June 1949), and it's my understanding that these cards were distributed in the South. And, the Mid West.

Apparently, the Gray backs were printed in lower quantities than the White backs.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 12-03-2019, 06:01 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hi Jay

BOWMAN printed and issued their 1st series (72 cards) with White backs. These cards were very plentiful in the Spring of 1949, especially in the Northeast.
The Gray backs followed (circa May-June 1949), and it's my understanding that these cards were distributed in the South. And, the Mid West.

Apparently, the Gray backs were printed in lower quantities than the White backs.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Hi Ted,

Thanks for the confirmation. I am currently trying to find the backs that I don't have in my set, and so far, the white backs have definitely been easier to get.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:50 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Reflections on 1949 BOWMAN's (25 HOFers, many Rookies)...show-N-tell us of your cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
Hi Ted,

Thanks for the confirmation. I am currently trying to find the backs that I don't have in my set, and so far, the white backs have definitely been easier to get.
Jay

I have two complete sets (252 cards). The first one with all the 1st series cards with White backs. And, the 2nd set with all Gray backs.
Completing the 1st series cards with Gray backs took me a long time. Bobby Doerr (#23) was the last one I needed.

Which reminds me....regarding the Gray backs, the first 36 cards [#1 - 3, 73, 5 - 36] were considerably more difficult to find with Gray
backs than cards #37 - 72.

Was this pattern the same for your ?

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 12-04-2019, 04:53 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Jay

I have two complete sets (252 cards). The first one with all the 1st series cards with White backs. And, the 2nd set with all Gray backs.
Completing the 1st series cards with Gray backs took me a long time. Bobby Doerr (#23) was the last one I needed.

Which reminds me....regarding the Gray backs, the first 36 cards [#1 - 3, 73, 5 - 36] were considerably more difficult to find with Gray
backs than cards #37 - 72.

Was this pattern the same for your ?

TED Z

T206 Reference
When I initially collected the set, of the 28 grey backs I have, 16 were from the first 36 cards and 12 were from the second 36 cards so it doesn't seem like it so far. We'l see how it goes now that I am trying to find the specific back colors. Also, the Bobby Doerr card I originally had was a grey back.

My set is generally VG to VG/EX so that could have something to do with it as well.

Would you say the grey backs tend to have a premium since they appear to be more scarce?

Last edited by jayshum; 12-04-2019 at 05:04 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:49 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Hi Jay

Back in the 1980's, the Gray backs of the 1st Series (72) cards had a slight premium for them. However, in recent years no one deems them anymore valuable.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 12-04-2019, 11:43 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Ted,

You stated that the 5th series are tough because Bowman was in a hurry to get out the 6th (and last) series, so they rushed the 5th series. Did Bowman regularly do this with their other sets as well?

You also mentioned that the cards from 1948 - 52 were printed on a 38-inch (track width) press. Is this a five-color press you're talking about or was it a smaller one? I know that Zabel Bros. had many presses in their plant. They would use the big presses for the bigger jobs and small presses for smaller jobs. Back then, they did not have the technology to print on both sides of the sheet at the same time. After printing the fronts, they would then move the sheets to a smaller press to print the backs.

Oh, and I never knew the PCL cards existed! Very cool!
Old 12-05-2019, 09:05 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Ted,

1st

You stated that the 5th series are tough because Bowman was in a hurry to get out the 6th (and last) series, so they rushed the 5th series. Did Bowman regularly do this with their other sets as well?

2nd

You also mentioned that the cards from 1948 - 52 were printed on a 38-inch (track width) press. Is this a five-color press you're talking about or was it a smaller one? I know that Zabel Bros. had many presses in their plant. They would use the big presses for the bigger jobs and small presses for smaller jobs. Back then, they did not have the technology to print on both sides of the sheet at the same time. After printing the fronts, they would then move the sheets to a smaller press to print the backs.

Oh, and I never knew the PCL cards existed! Very cool!

samosa4u

1st…..The first Series (cards #1 - 72) in the 1950 BOWMAN set are more difficult to find than the rest of the 180 cards in this set. So, this may be another example.

2nd…..The larger BOWMAN cards (1953 - 1955 sets) were printed using a 43-inch (track width) press.

The printing of all the BOWMAN Sportscards was done using a 4-color process.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 12-05-2019, 06:48 PM
Mike E

Default 49 Bowman

Ted,
I have 7 49 Bowman with double-printed backs. What can you tell me about those? I got those in St. Louis in 1972--same guy had uncut sheets of 49's, but I was putting myself through my 7th year of college and didn't have two nickels to rub together.