NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-10-2018, 10:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Campy & Envelope

Hey guys
I picked this up for the postcard. The envelope was nice but now I am not so sure the postcard came in it, since the autograph doesn't look too good either (it looks like a slow hand last name). That said I am not an autograph guy and Campy very well could have signed differently before the accident than after. Any help on it would be great...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pccampy.jpg (73.5 KB, 389 views)
Old 05-10-2018, 10:34 AM
Jeff P0tter

Hi Leon,
That one is a stamped/facsimile/preprinted signature.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg campy.jpg (14.7 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg campy2.jpg (78.9 KB, 378 views)
ebay: AuthenticTradingPost

http://www.ebay.com/str/jeffpotterautographs

Last edited by ATP; 05-10-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks Jeff. Much appreciated.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:44 PM
Tom

The postmark on the envelope looks like 1966.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:38 AM
Chuck Tapia

Yes a very nice Roy Stampanella...
Old 05-19-2018, 03:03 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Campy very well could have signed differently before the accident than after.
I thought Campanella COULDN'T sign autographs after the accident until someone came up with some kind of a device that helped him, and if my understanding is correct the device wasn't around until the 1980s or so.

Can anyone post an image of a device-assisted Campanella signature? I don't recall seeing one, and I'm curious to see how they look. Also interested in seeing the device itself (I don't know if it needs to be said, but it doesn't have to be the exact same one that Campy used).
Old 05-19-2018, 07:25 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Quite simply Campanella could not sign after his accident . Autograph requests via the mail were either a facsimile signed photo or a stamped signature on your item that you sent . In person he would give out these same photos or stamped cards. Then in the mid 1980s during the autograph craze a device was designed for him that he would "wear and use" to sign your autographs at shows . Flats were easy to do but baseballs did pose a problem and bats and jerseys were rare. Also at that time I believe he was the most expensive in person autograph signing fee on the show circuit . I remember fees of $250 -$350 per item at the National Pastime shows and at the National. So technically to an autograph purist after the accident he couldn't sign his name ever , and collectors at the time would not take his device assisted signatures as a "real" Campanella signature since it was done with the assistance of the signing device .
Old 05-19-2018, 07:28 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

The pictured envelope is from 1966 with the proper stamp of White Plains where he lived . The 7th Ave NYC return address in the upper left I believe is from his HIP liquor store he owned .
Old 05-22-2018, 08:25 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
Quite simply Campanella could not sign after his accident . Autograph requests via the mail were either a facsimile signed photo or a stamped signature on your item that you sent . In person he would give out these same photos or stamped cards. Then in the mid 1980s during the autograph craze a device was designed for him that he would "wear and use" to sign your autographs at shows . Flats were easy to do but baseballs did pose a problem and bats and jerseys were rare. Also at that time I believe he was the most expensive in person autograph signing fee on the show circuit . I remember fees of $250 -$350 per item at the National Pastime shows and at the National. So technically to an autograph purist after the accident he couldn't sign his name ever , and collectors at the time would not take his device assisted signatures as a "real" Campanella signature since it was done with the assistance of the signing device .
I would see him and his wife Roxy at the games on the old club level. There was one spot for his wheel chair and one seat for Roxy just to the left of home plate. I would just stand by him and watch in AWE. My friend handed him a ball to sign and his wife signed it for him. Didn't do a bad job either. There are pics out there of him using the signing apparatus. Also, he signed swatches of the balls laying flat with the machine and then they were sewed together. That's why all of the balls stamps are upside down he scribbled back then.

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 05-22-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:24 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
I would see him and his wife Roxy at the games on the old club level. There was one spot for his wheel chair and one seat for Roxy just to the left of home plate. I would just stand by him and watch in AWE. My friend handed him a ball to sign and his wife signed it for him. Didn't do a bad job either. There are pics out there of him using the signing apparatus. Also, he signed swatches of the balls laying flat with the machine and then they were sewed together. That's why all of the balls stamps are upside down he scribbled back then.
This is correct, he could only "sign" flats. All balls were done by Scoreboard, in which he would sign the ball flat and then they would have them stitched up. I got into the autograph craze around 1991 and by then, he would only do private signings. He was supposed to do a public appearance at a show with Don Drysdale in 1993, but they both passed before the show happened.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:06 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Campy auto pen

Old 05-22-2018, 11:35 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

The majority of collectors were not aware of the "sewn" balls that Campanella signed. The forgers never got around to doing the "sewn" balls , and the stamping issue was always a good guide to see if the ball was a forgery. That was a closely guarded secret for many years.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:14 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

We've had this discussion before, and I don't know for sure what type of "machine" Campanella might have used pre late 80's, but I attended a show on Oct 7th, 1989 where Campanella was signing. At 200 bones, it was by far the most I had paid for a living player at that time. I was standing right in front of him as he was signing, and I can tell you, it was not a machine. What he used, at least at that time, was a brace that was attached to where he was signing so that he arm/wrist could not shake/move. He then signed just using the movement of his palm and fingers. If you look at most of those autographs, you will see that the "Roy" looks pretty darn good, and then, because he couldn't lift his hand, he went right in to the Campanella...and as he got towards the end, he had to stretch his fingers a bit which caused it to look a bit stretched (for lack of a better term). I value and treasure that autograph, and wouldn't trade it for any pre-accident Campanella autograph.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg campanella.jpg (69.2 KB, 49 views)
Old 05-25-2018, 07:12 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
We've had this discussion before, and I don't know for sure what type of "machine" Campanella might have used pre late 80's, but I attended a show on Oct 7th, 1989 where Campanella was signing. At 200 bones, it was by far the most I had paid for a living player at that time. I was standing right in front of him as he was signing, and I can tell you, it was not a machine. What he used, at least at that time, was a brace that was attached to where he was signing so that he arm/wrist could not shake/move. He then signed just using the movement of his palm and fingers. If you look at most of those autographs, you will see that the "Roy" looks pretty darn good, and then, because he couldn't lift his hand, he went right in to the Campanella...and as he got towards the end, he had to stretch his fingers a bit which caused it to look a bit stretched (for lack of a better term). I value and treasure that autograph, and wouldn't trade it for any pre-accident Campanella autograph.
That is a nice signature on a Photo.

Here's some shots of the sewn ball.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roy Campanella 3.jpg (67.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Roy Campanella 6 Top.jpg (66.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Roy Campanella 7 Back.jpg (68.0 KB, 28 views)