NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 05-14-2019, 11:27 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Would it be better if I spoke to a top NY criminal defense attorney?
Meh, random professional.
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 05-14-2019, 11:53 PM
Aquarian Sports Cards Aquarian Sports Cards is offline
Scott Russell
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey77 View Post
May I remind you that this vault is a multi million dollar investment by the company. Probably wise to do research before making assumptions and getting counsel from random professionals on the matter. Because the due diligence has absolutely been done by those with skin in the game.
You now have crossed the line, for me, to sounding like a company shill. I had given you the benefit of the doubt.
__________________
Great experience buying from edjs and mybuddyinc. Check out my ebay store, weird, eclectic, accurate, and reasonable! http://stores.ebay.com/Aquarian-Sports-Cards Also check out http://www.birminghamauctioneers.com
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:16 AM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is online now
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 3,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
You now have crossed the line, for me, to sounding like a company shill. I had given you the benefit of the doubt.
The posts from the guy criticizing the OP for how much he spent on a card crossed the line of what should be acceptable on this forum, in my opinion. The comment you quoted actually sounds accurate. I don't believe they would build the vault without looking into the legality and tax implications.
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/pokerplyr80
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:22 AM
Aquarian Sports Cards Aquarian Sports Cards is offline
Scott Russell
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,762
Default

There's a difference between "I don't believe" and "Because the due diligence has absolutely been done"
__________________
Great experience buying from edjs and mybuddyinc. Check out my ebay store, weird, eclectic, accurate, and reasonable! http://stores.ebay.com/Aquarian-Sports-Cards Also check out http://www.birminghamauctioneers.com
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:26 AM
calvindog's Avatar
calvindog calvindog is offline
Jeffrey Lichtman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
The posts from the guy criticizing the OP for how much he spent on a card crossed the line of what should be acceptable on this forum, in my opinion. The comment you quoted actually sounds accurate. I don't believe they would build the vault without looking into the legality and tax implications.
What about building a business without looking into the legality of conspiring to defraud people by knowingly selling altered cards?
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 05-15-2019, 01:14 AM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is online now
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 3,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
What about building a business without looking into the legality of conspiring to defraud people by knowingly selling altered cards?
Those are strong allegations that I haven't seen proof of. If you know something I'm unaware of I'd be interested to hear or see what it is.

And to Scott I don't think it's a stretch to assume due diligence was done.
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/pokerplyr80

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 05-15-2019 at 01:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 05-15-2019, 01:31 AM
Aquarian Sports Cards Aquarian Sports Cards is offline
Scott Russell
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,762
Default

I agree, I would assume so, but I don't KNOW.
__________________
Great experience buying from edjs and mybuddyinc. Check out my ebay store, weird, eclectic, accurate, and reasonable! http://stores.ebay.com/Aquarian-Sports-Cards Also check out http://www.birminghamauctioneers.com
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 05-15-2019, 06:32 AM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Those are strong allegations that I haven't seen proof of. If you know something I'm unaware of I'd be interested to hear or see what it is.

And to Scott I don't think it's a stretch to assume due diligence was done.
Have you read all the threads on Blowout identifying specific altered cards, and PWCC's own statement here that they will now "cease" doing business with card doctors? What is the necessary implication of that statement?

Edited to add 93 more today
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1293843
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-15-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 05-15-2019, 01:37 PM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is online now
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 3,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Have you read all the threads on Blowout identifying specific altered cards, and PWCC's own statement here that they will now "cease" doing business with card doctors? What is the necessary implication of that statement?

Edited to add 93 more today
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1293843
Not all, I don't go to blowout often. I didn't see any evidence that pwcc knowingly sold altered cards there though. I don't think refusing to accept consignments from known or suspected card doctors will change much.

Hey jack, send this card in to pwcc for me. They banned my name or address. Not a hard thing to get around.
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/pokerplyr80
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 05-15-2019, 01:45 PM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 4,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Not all, I don't go to blowout often. I didn't see any evidence that pwcc knowingly sold altered cards there though. I don't think refusing to accept consignments from known or suspected card doctors will change much.

Hey jack, send this card in to pwcc for me. They banned my name or address. Not a hard thing to get around.
Just posted from Brent himself. https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1290614

These threads continue to be appreciated and we are grateful for the research.

While the original subject of this thread, the '52 Mantle, is an example of how a card can, in our opinion, be conserved, there have been a number of cards identified on this thread that do fit the definition of alteration.

Thanks to these important efforts, I will say that the submitters of the items that have been identified as altered are prohibited from participating in the PWCC Marketplace moving forward based on the terms of our Marketplace Tenets. We are also working with the grading companies to address the issue according to our Tenets.

Please don't hesitate to contact me at betsy@pwccmarketplace.com with any specific questions or comments.

Last edited by irv; 05-15-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #161  
Old 05-15-2019, 01:47 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Not all, I don't go to blowout often. I didn't see any evidence that pwcc knowingly sold altered cards there though. I don't think refusing to accept consignments from known or suspected card doctors will change much.

Hey jack, send this card in to pwcc for me. They banned my name or address. Not a hard thing to get around.
Honestly, if you have blinders on, I am not wasting time talking to you Jesse. PWCC ADMITTED it. End of discussion. Have a nice day.
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-15-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 05-15-2019, 01:54 PM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is online now
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 3,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Honestly, if you have blinders on, I am not wasting time talking to you Jesse. PWCC ADMITTED it. End of discussion. Have a nice day.
That may be true, but I didn't see that post.
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/pokerplyr80
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 05-15-2019, 01:55 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
That may be true, but I didn't see that post.
Then perhaps you should read what's out there before making pronouncements about the state of the evidence?
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 05-15-2019, 01:58 PM
calvindog's Avatar
calvindog calvindog is offline
Jeffrey Lichtman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Then perhaps you should read what's out there before making pronouncements about the state of the evidence?
Why? If you don't read it that means it never happened.
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 05-15-2019, 02:06 PM
bobbyw8469's Avatar
bobbyw8469 bobbyw8469 is online now
Robert Williams
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Why? If you don't read it that means it never happened.
Are you always this cynical?
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 05-15-2019, 02:06 PM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is online now
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 3,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Then perhaps you should read what's out there before making pronouncements about the state of the evidence?
I believe my only pronouncement was that I hadn't seen any evidence, not exactly a groundbreaking revelation.
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/pokerplyr80
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 05-15-2019, 02:08 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I believe my only pronouncement was that I hadn't seen any evidence, not exactly a groundbreaking revelation.
It implied that it was your assessment of the evidence we've all been discussing.
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 05-15-2019, 02:10 PM
calvindog's Avatar
calvindog calvindog is offline
Jeffrey Lichtman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Are you always this cynical?
Occupational hazard.
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 05-15-2019, 02:31 PM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is online now
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 3,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It implied that it was your assessment of the evidence we've all been discussing.
What I've seen was a statement that the 52 Mantle appeared to have been altered based on before and after pictures posted on blowout. I saw no evidence they knew this card was altered before posting it. Or that whatever was done to that card even meets PSA's definition of alteration.

I don't remember the whole story with that 36 DiMaggio, but I do remember it didn't look good.

I am completely unaware if there is evidence that they knew of any other altered cards submitted in their auctions. I stated to Jeff that if he knew something I didn't, I'd like to see it. I still would.
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/pokerplyr80
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 05-15-2019, 04:46 PM
ullmandds's Avatar
ullmandds ullmandds is online now
pete ullman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: saint paul, mn
Posts: 8,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
What I've seen was a statement that the 52 Mantle appeared to have been altered based on before and after pictures posted on blowout. I saw no evidence they knew this card was altered before posting it. Or that whatever was done to that card even meets PSA's definition of alteration.

I don't remember the whole story with that 36 DiMaggio, but I do remember it didn't look good.

I am completely unaware if there is evidence that they knew of any other altered cards submitted in their auctions. I stated to Jeff that if he knew something I didn't, I'd like to see it. I still would.
You’re an idiot
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 05-15-2019, 04:57 PM
Goudey77 Goudey77 is online now
Martin
Martin L.ee
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Northwest
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey77 View Post
I am a lifetime collector and have seen this hobby evolve the last 30+ years.
To me there is no better time to collect cards. Whether it be modern or vintage. The auction marketplace is as competitive as ever. Making the limited quantity of premium eye appeal cards very special.

I am convinced these opportunities do not come up very often. I finally got one of these premium PWCC cards for my T206 personal collection. Very happy and appreciative for the opportunity to own high eye appeal cards like this. In my opinion labels by PWCC are very worthy of what they state.

+1 for the other side of the spectrum.


Let's lighten the mood and reset this thread to it's original post.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 05-15-2019, 05:13 PM
frankbmd's Avatar
frankbmd frankbmd is offline
Fr@nk Burke++
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Between the 1st tee and the 19th hole
Posts: 5,604
Default Just saying .....

Isn’t that what started it?
__________________
FRANK:BUR:KETT - NEARLY PQ AND ALMOST OLD ENOUGH TO BE ON A PREWAR CARD, BUT.........

MY AVATAR IS A GUY NAMED BURKETT TO WHOM I AM NOT RELATED, WHO IS OLD ENOUGH.


518/1000 Monster Number

Over*760* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-19.
Over 550 sales with satisfied Board members served.
Thank you all.



Now nearly PQ.
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 05-15-2019, 05:22 PM
Frank A Frank A is offline
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 276
Default

This whole thread is crazy. They know what their doing to cards and they don't give a shit. Plain and simple. MONEY!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 05-15-2019, 05:46 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
What I've seen was a statement that the 52 Mantle appeared to have been altered based on before and after pictures posted on blowout. I saw no evidence they knew this card was altered before posting it. Or that whatever was done to that card even meets PSA's definition of alteration.

I don't remember the whole story with that 36 DiMaggio, but I do remember it didn't look good.

I am completely unaware if there is evidence that they knew of any other altered cards submitted in their auctions. I stated to Jeff that if he knew something I didn't, I'd like to see it. I still would.
If you read what everyone else has read, you would be aware. If you aren't going to, you shouldn't opine. If you have read and still think there is no evidence, I don't even know what to say at this point.
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-15-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 05-15-2019, 06:05 PM
calvindog's Avatar
calvindog calvindog is offline
Jeffrey Lichtman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
If you read what everyone else has read, you would be aware. If you aren't going to, you shouldn't opine. If you have read and still think there is no evidence, I don't even know what to say at this point.
Brent admitted the Mantle was worked on prior to it being sold by him. Now Jesse is claiming that Brent is lying?
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 05-15-2019, 06:07 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,882
Default

PWCC has ceased working with card doctors. Uh, to stop something, you must have been doing it before.
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 05-15-2019, 06:17 PM
calvindog's Avatar
calvindog calvindog is offline
Jeffrey Lichtman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,882
Default

Either Brent or Gary is going to run to the Feds to cooperate against the other to save his own skin. Who will it be? I have a hunch.
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 05-15-2019, 06:19 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Either Brent or Gary is going to run to the Feds to cooperate against the other to save his own skin. Who will it be? I have a hunch.
Poll?
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 05-15-2019, 06:36 PM
Fuddjcal Fuddjcal is offline
Chuck Tapia
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,127
Default

How about you just simply open your eyes?

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 05-15-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 05-15-2019, 09:43 PM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 4,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Brent admitted the Mantle was worked on prior to it being sold by him. Now Jesse is claiming that Brent is lying?
Supposedly he spoke of the "alterations" on instagram but wouldn't update the auction to mention them?
Reply With Quote
  #181  
Old 05-16-2019, 02:53 PM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is online now
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 3,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Brent admitted the Mantle was worked on prior to it being sold by him. Now Jesse is claiming that Brent is lying?
My reading of his statement was an acknowledgment that the card appears to have been worked on, but not to a degree that would qualify for an altered grade. I didn't see anything that would indicate he had knowledge the card was altered before the auction.

I did not go to law school like some of those commenting. But it seems to me you guys are making assumptions and accusations that even if very likely to be true haven't been proven to be true. And you're stating them as though they're facts.

If more evidence comes out tying pwcc to card doctors and showing they knowingly defrauded customers it may bring the company down. Or it could turn out there isn't any proof and this will all blow over. If I had to place a bet today, it would be on the latter. It will be interesting to see how it plays out though.
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/pokerplyr80
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 05-16-2019, 03:00 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 27,113
Default

Jesse, great post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
My reading of his statement was an acknowledgment that the card appears to have been worked on, but not to a degree that would qualify for an altered grade. I didn't see anything that would indicate he had knowledge the card was altered before the auction.

I did not go to law school like some of those commenting. But it seems to me you guys are making assumptions and accusations that even if very likely to be true haven't been proven to be true. And you're stating them as though they're facts.

If more evidence comes out tying pwcc to card doctors and showing they knowingly defrauded customers it may bring the company down. Or it could turn out there isn't any proof and this will all blow over. If I had to place a bet today, it would be on the latter. It will be interesting to see how it plays out though.
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 05-16-2019, 03:10 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
My reading of his statement was an acknowledgment that the card appears to have been worked on, but not to a degree that would qualify for an altered grade. I didn't see anything that would indicate he had knowledge the card was altered before the auction.

I did not go to law school like some of those commenting. But it seems to me you guys are making assumptions and accusations that even if very likely to be true haven't been proven to be true. And you're stating them as though they're facts.

If more evidence comes out tying pwcc to card doctors and showing they knowingly defrauded customers it may bring the company down. Or it could turn out there isn't any proof and this will all blow over. If I had to place a bet today, it would be on the latter. It will be interesting to see how it plays out though.
Read what Jeff posted about evidence he has seen in the thread started by PWCC. Read what PWCC ITSELF said. Not about Mantle, about no longer affiliating with card doctors. My God, dude, take off the blinders.
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-16-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 05-16-2019, 03:11 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Jesse, great post.
IMO you just don't want to acknowledge reality, Leon. Everyone else here, except Jesse and maybe Martin, sees it plain as day.
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-16-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 05-16-2019, 03:20 PM
vintagetoppsguy's Avatar
vintagetoppsguy vintagetoppsguy is online now
D@v!d J@m3s
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Richmond, TX
Posts: 4,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
IMO you just don't want to acknowledge reality, Leon. Everyone else here, except Jesse, David and maybe Martin, sees it plain as day.
Throw my name in there too, Peter. I, too, have yet to see any evidence that Brent knew any cards were altered prior to going to auction.

From the Alteration vs. Conservation Defined thread: "you are innocent until proven guilty." Wouldn't that same statement apply to Brent too, or am I way off here?
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 05-16-2019, 03:23 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Throw my name in there too, Peter. I, too, have yet to see any evidence that Brent knew any cards were altered prior to going to auction.

From the Alteration vs. Conservation Defined thread: "you are innocent until proven guilty." Wouldn't that same statement apply to Brent too, or am I way off here?
You make a worthy addition David. My apologies for not including you.
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-16-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 05-16-2019, 03:30 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Throw my name in there too, Peter. I, too, have yet to see any evidence that Brent knew any cards were altered prior to going to auction.

From the Alteration vs. Conservation Defined thread: "you are innocent until proven guilty." Wouldn't that same statement apply to Brent too, or am I way off here?
You're a smart guy David. If I tell the world that from now on I won't rob any more banks, what does that convey about my past?
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 05-16-2019, 03:40 PM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is online now
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 3,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
You're a smart guy David. If I tell the world that from now on I won't rob any more banks, what does that convey about my past?
A more relevant analogy would be what if a bank said they'd stop accepting deposits from money launderers, drug dealers, etc. Maybe they knew where the money was coming from, maybe they suspected but didn't ask any questions, or maybe they had no idea. But enough people on the banking forums were complaining, so they put out a statement saying they will work to prevent such deposits in the future.
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/pokerplyr80

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 05-16-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 05-16-2019, 03:44 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
A more relevant analogy would be what if a bank said they'd stop accepting deposits from money launderers, drug dealers, etc. Maybe they knew where the money was coming from, maybe they suspected but didn't ask any questions, or maybe they had no idea. But enough people on the banking forums were complaining, so they put out a statement saying they will work to prevent such deposits in the future.
Uh huh. So how does the bank know who to stop accepting deposits from in your example unless it knows they're money launderers and drug dealers? And why did it ever take their deposits? Anyhow, read Jeff's post about evidence he has seen.

PS read the words. It doesn't say suspected, it says proven track record. "PWCC will officially cease working with any individual who has a proven track record of consistently hurting trust in the marketplace, the brand of PWCC, or the reputations of the grading companies upon which our market is based."

PPS if they're clean, why not release the identity of all the cards from such people they have sold in the past, instead of leaving it to the collectors to figure it out.
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-16-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 05-16-2019, 03:53 PM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is online now
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 3,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Uh huh. So how does the bank know who to stop accepting deposits from in your example unless it knows they're money launderers and drug dealers? And why did it ever take their deposits? Anyhow, read Jeff's post about evidence he has seen.

PS read the words. It doesn't say suspected, it says proven track record . "PWCC will officially cease working with any individual who has a proven track record of consistently hurting trust in the marketplace, the brand of PWCC, or the reputations of the grading companies upon which our market is based."
Well some of these guys are suspected drug dealers or money launderers. So they haven't been convicted of anything. And accepting their deposits isn't a crime. What legal justification is there for the bank to turn away their deposit? What if a drug dealer's grandmother gives him 100 bucks for his birthday? Can he deposit that check but not the drug money? How do you determine which is which?
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/pokerplyr80
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 05-16-2019, 03:56 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Well some of these guys are suspected drug dealers or money launderers. So they haven't been convicted of anything. And accepting their deposits isn't a crime. What legal justification is there for the bank to turn away their deposit? What if a drug dealer's grandmother gives him 100 bucks for his birthday? Can he deposit that check but not the drug money? How do you determine which is which?
I honestly don't follow the relevance of all this. Does a private company PWCC need a legal justification to turn away a consignment? I thought we were discussing the import of their decision to do just that with people they say have a proven track record. Unless that language was a BS smokescreen and they actually aren't stopping doing business with anyone because the track record hasn't been proven? Interesting angle, I hadn't considered that. But, I wouldn't put it past them I suppose.
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-16-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 05-16-2019, 04:06 PM
calvindog's Avatar
calvindog calvindog is offline
Jeffrey Lichtman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,882
Default

The Net 54 grand jury is neck and neck here. I wonder what will happen?
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 05-16-2019, 04:07 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
The Net 54 grand jury is neck and neck here. I wonder what will happen?
Can you serve on a grand jury if you have a conflict?
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 05-16-2019, 04:17 PM
Goudey77 Goudey77 is online now
Martin
Martin L.ee
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Northwest
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Can you serve on a grand jury if you have a conflict?
No he cannot. Jefferey read too much fake news
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 05-16-2019, 04:21 PM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is online now
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 3,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I honestly don't follow the relevance of all this. Does a private company PWCC need a legal justification to turn away a consignment? I thought we were discussing the import of their decision to do just that with people they say have a proven track record. Unless that language was a BS smokescreen and they actually aren't stopping doing business with anyone because the track record hasn't been proven? Interesting angle, I hadn't considered that. But, I wouldn't put it past them I suppose.
I'm not a lawyer, but what if they turn away a consignment and that person alleges discrimination? What if they were falsely accused of being a card doctor by an ex business partner determined to see them fail? Who is responsible for putting names on this can't submit list? Is there an appeal process? In theory it sounds great. Just don't accept submissions from known card doctors. In practice I don't think it's that simple.
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/pokerplyr80
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 05-16-2019, 04:21 PM
Goudey77 Goudey77 is online now
Martin
Martin L.ee
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Northwest
Posts: 137
Default

I think this is all a conspiracy to crap on my exceptional card that I was able to pick up. This conspiracy goes years back and Is too elaborate. I don’t buy anything anyone is saying.
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 05-16-2019, 04:22 PM
JollyElm's Avatar
JollyElm JollyElm is offline
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,974
Default

But who here is Lee J. Cobb and who is Henry Fonda??
__________________
Check out my bucket(s). Virtually everything is available for trade:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706
http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee404/JollyElm/
http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/elmjack44/library/

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 05-16-2019, 04:23 PM
calvindog's Avatar
calvindog calvindog is offline
Jeffrey Lichtman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey77 View Post
No he cannot. Jefferey read too much fake news
Like Brent’s emails?
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 05-16-2019, 04:27 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I'm not a lawyer, but what if they turn away a consignment and that person alleges discrimination? What if they were falsely accused of being a card doctor by an ex business partner determined to see them fail? Who is responsible for putting names on this can't submit list? Is there an appeal process? In theory it sounds great. Just don't accept submissions from known card doctors. In practice I don't think it's that simple.
Double post.
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-16-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 05-16-2019, 04:28 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I'm not a lawyer, but what if they turn away a consignment and that person alleges discrimination? What if they were falsely accused of being a card doctor by an ex business partner determined to see them fail? Who is responsible for putting names on this can't submit list? Is there an appeal process? In theory it sounds great. Just don't accept submissions from known card doctors. In practice I don't think it's that simple.
My head may explode from all these hypotheticals. Look, the bottom line is that for the most part the major card doctors are well known to the major sellers in the hobby and the grading services and many of the collectors. And to the FBI, I would add. It's a close-knit community going back to the pre-internet show days and insiders know. There may be some who have flown under the radar but for the most part, they haven't.
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-16-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exceptional Gestures by Others - Share Your Stories Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 22 12-06-2005 10:44 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 PM.


ebay GSB