NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-11-2017, 08:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Cards match the RC limits set by MLB

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info...egulations.jsp

So if the player hasn't had a RC season as defined by MLB the card is considered a pre-rookie or prospect card.
This is obviously a change since the 80's and 90's (even then the term XRC was used arbitrarily) and I believe it was implemented when MLB tightened the reigns on licensing for cards.
So why wasn't Judge a rookie in 2016? He had not had a prior season that would disqualify him.

A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list).

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-11-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:52 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
So why wasn't Judge a rookie in 2016? He had not had a prior season that would disqualify him.
Right, but he didn't exceed RC limits in 2016 either. So Topps couldn't consider that 2016 card his rookie. Not until he exceeded RC status for the season are they allowed to use the "RC" logo.

I see your point, but this is just the answer as I understand it not my opinion. Some collectors, myself included, will include any card that was put out in conjunction with other major leaguers within a set (as opposed to a set that was only MiLB and prospects). That just isn't the technically defined status as determined by MLB and Topps.

Last edited by bn2cardz; 07-11-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:53 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Right, but he didn't exceed RC limits in 2016 either.
So? You obviously can't wait for a season to be over before assigning an RC designation. By the definition you quoted someone could have multiple rookie seasons. That definition makes sense in voting for rookie of the year (that is, Judge is STILL a rookie for 2017 because he didn't previously exceed limits), not for cards.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-11-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:44 AM

Default Aaron Judge

Total BEAST!!!!!!!!looks like the real deal...left everyone with their jaws dropping...I broke down and picked up his 2013 bowman chrome raw for $60.00 at a card show....I love the bowman chrome and they are always their "true rookie"..... id rarely buy new "shiney " stuff, but this guy is ridiculous!! I had to do it...id love the auto refractor 2013 bowman chrome, but I could not bear to spend more than the $60.00 I did spend....

I liked the format(time on clock,ect), but I don't think "pitbull" was appropriate for kids, bad TASTE......it was not great at all, I enjoyed the dancers, but singing about taking off your clothes and smacking the dancers ass in front of little kids was bad taste imho.....pitbull is a loser imho should have saved that for his backstage and not in front of little kids..

Old 07-11-2017, 10:24 AM
Bill T.

Quote:
So? You obviously can't wait for a season to be over before assigning an RC designation. By the definition you quoted someone could have multiple rookie seasons. That definition makes sense in voting for rookie of the year (that is, Judge is STILL a rookie for 2017 because he didn't previously exceed limits), not for cards.
By the time Lou Piniella won Rookie of the Year in 1969, he had been on four Topps Rookie Stars cards.

1964 w/Washington
1965 w/Baltimore
1968 w/Cleveland
1969 w/Seattle

Bill
Old 07-11-2017, 11:06 AM

Hope Judge doesn't turn out to be juiced. Amazing.

Rob M
Old 07-11-2017, 11:15 AM

Default btw....

did I mention pitbull sucks!!!

I am in a bitching mood today

somebody was feeding this kid hgh in his gerber!lol.....I think he is just a freak and not juiced....a rare talent as multi sport....just a beast!

get the bowman 2013 chrome
Old 07-11-2017, 06:21 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
Hope Judge doesn't turn out to be juiced. Amazing.

Rob M
Well,

Supposedly MLB routinely tests the baseballs, they are ok, within MLB standards.

The bats are what they are.

Something is very different this season. The home run total for the league is going to be smashed. Yonder Alonzo ? is on pace for 30 or 40 homers. So is Smoak, and Morrison. Moose is on pace for about 50. NOTHING about the Royals are different this season. The fences weren't moved in, we didn't add home run hitters, yet the team is going to best their home run total by a good margin . ?

Is Judge juicing, I have no idea. But something in the game changed. I do think players are juicing, who is or isn't beats me. I have no proof, just an open mind that something in the game is going on.

Baseball only tests for what they deem illegal.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:30 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

It's rather remarkable after what we lived through in the 80s that I have yet to see a single article questioning whether anyone is juicing. All about the ball. Rather remarkable lack of a collective spine in baseball journalists. Maybe no one is. But isn't the question worth considering?
Old 07-11-2017, 11:33 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman42 View Post
By the time Lou Piniella won Rookie of the Year in 1969, he had been on four Topps Rookie Stars cards.

1964 w/Washington
1965 w/Baltimore
1968 w/Cleveland
1969 w/Seattle

Bill
Didn't we find Bill Davis was on 6 or something like that LOL.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:37 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman42 View Post

1964 w/Washington
1965 w/Baltimore
1968 w/Cleveland
1969 w/Seattle

Bill
Didn't we find Bill Davis was on 6 or something like that LOL.
https://sabrbaseballcards.blog/2017/...rdom-staehled/
Old 07-11-2017, 03:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66.jpg (76.2 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 65.jpg (77.9 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 67.jpg (28.3 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg 68.jpg (78.7 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 69.jpg (76.6 KB, 142 views)

Old 07-11-2017, 11:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

double post

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-11-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:30 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Right, but he didn't exceed RC limits in 2016 either. So Topps couldn't consider that 2016 card his rookie. Not until he exceeded RC status for the season are they allowed to use the "RC" logo.

I see your point, but this is just the answer as I understand it not my opinion. Some collectors, myself included, will include any card that was put out in conjunction with other major leaguers within a set (as opposed to a set that was only MiLB and prospects). That just isn't the technically defined status as determined by MLB and Topps.
I don't understand it. In early 2017 when his first cards of the year came out how would anyone know he would exceed rookie card status in 2017, he could have played 5 games and got hurt, in which case he still would have been a rookie in 2018. Ex ante, a 2016 card after he was called up is the same as a 2017 -- at the time it's printed and either receives a designation or doesn't, you can't know what his numbers are going to be for the year.

The problem as I see it with your analysis is that you are using hindsight but a card has to be either designated or not at the time it's printed.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-11-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:33 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:

None of the new made up rules for "RC" logo cards seem to make much sense. Topps actually did make one RC logo Judge/Tyler Austin dual card in an obscure release in 2016 available only to Yankee Stadium season ticket licensees as part of a 3 card gift set to certain members of Yankees legacy club...

Not sure if most collectors are even aware of this issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016 topps legacy.jpg (77.2 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 35469500942_93a4ec69b1_z.jpg (51.5 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 35469498472_2595def867_z.jpg (57.2 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 35683704125_4a199b7a0f_z.jpg (52.1 KB, 132 views)
Old 07-12-2017, 11:31 AM
Kev1n @1les

I was at the HR Derby (and ASG as well). With the heavy hispanic/latin influence Miami was a great place for the festivities. What they did with the Latin American members of the HOF with the first pitch was very nice.

Seeing the HR derby live was pretty cool. It was a different experience than what I have seen on TV as it is easy to tell at the crack of the bat if it is going out. Judge had a few that hit high on the pane glass/back wall. I was a bit bummed that it wasn't Stanton vs Judge in the end, but Sanchez did very well to beat Stanton and Giancarlo had a very slow start.

The AS game was tough to watch. Not a ton of action, a lot of substitutions, relievers. I was ready to go about 4 innings in, but stayed for the entire thing. When it went to Extra's I was dreading it a bit, but Cano did us a favor and ended it quickly. I had an early Tee Time yesterday morning, so it had been a long day after a very long night the night before - so maybe it wasn't as boring as I had actually felt - but more than half of the stadium had cleared out by the 7th inning - not sure if that was clear on TV.

I did hear that Topps was using fabric from Judge's socks at the derby to create some cards - and they were looking to go in the $1500 range. Just insane - I cannot fathom that anyone would desire that or be willing to pay for it - but then again some look at my collection and can't believe that I would spend my hard money on it...

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set

Last edited by kailes2872; 07-12-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:49 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailes2872 View Post
I did hear that Topps was using fabric from Judge's socks at the derby to create some cards - and they were looking to go in the $1500 range. Just insane - I cannot fathom that anyone would desire that or be willing to pay for it - but then again some look at my collection and can't believe that I would spend my hard money on it...
Kevin here is a cheaper version that Topps produced, & is Sold out!
Still crazy for the price

https://www.topps.com/sock-relic-to-...topps-now.html

-
-

Last edited by Jay Wolt; 07-12-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:17 PM
Eric
Eric

This is why I have gotten rid of almost all of my new and shiny cards. SO volatile. SO much done on emotion. This weeks $10,000 bowman chrome rookie may not sell for 10% of that in a short time based on many factors, especially if someone else is getting hot. It's absolutely crazy.
But Judge is fun to watch.
I actually loved watching Bour swing out of his shoes launching bombs into right field. He was having a good time and putting on a derby clinic!
Old 07-12-2017, 05:51 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

I don't really understand why collectors care, allow card companies to dictate, what some company or MLB decides is a player's RC. Who cares if a card has "RC" next to it in some guide if another card, with the player in his MLB uniform, came out 4 years earlier? Collect what you want - why care what MLB says you should collect?
Old 07-12-2017, 09:07 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
This is why I have gotten rid of almost all of my new and shiny cards. SO volatile. SO much done on emotion. This weeks $10,000 bowman chrome rookie may not sell for 10% of that in a short time based on many factors, especially if someone else is getting hot. It's absolutely crazy.
But Judge is fun to watch.
I actually loved watching Bour swing out of his shoes launching bombs into right field. He was having a good time and putting on a derby clinic!
I agree with what you say about the derby and watching Judge.

It's just worth adding that one could say all collector choices are made on emotion. At least all my purchases are.

In terms of the volatility of modern, well of course when the player is active, especially before there is a long body of work, performance extremes will create price extremes. That's just par for the course with modern.

As someone who only collected PreWar and vintage, I find the thrill of rooting for a live player I collect to be something quite rewarding and fun— and it's a rush that only modern cards can provide. It coexists well with the other collecting pursuits.

Last edited by MattyC; 07-12-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Wasn't aware but unfortunately am now. To each their own, I can't stand much about MLB today including the. games, players and cards.....other than that it's great though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
None of the new made up rules for "RC" logo cards seem to make much sense. Topps actually did make one RC logo Judge/Tyler Austin dual card in an obscure release in 2016 available only to Yankee Stadium season ticket licensees as part of a 3 card gift set to certain members of Yankees legacy club...

Not sure if most collectors are even aware of this issue.

Last edited by Leon; 07-13-2017 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:15 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Wasn't aware but unfortunately am now. To each their own, I can't stand much about MLB today including the. games, players and cards.....other than that it's great though.
Between the lines it's still the same game, fortunately.