NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-19-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post
Pls look again Rob - I don't see Jose making a fist until he gets clocked. Both angles back this up but the one I posted earlier makes it very clear. Anyone else see JB making a fist, or am I going blind?
In Tom C's video above, it sure looks like Bautista's fist is going back and starting to close. He was just slower than Odor. I'm sure Odor is no angel but Bautista has made his own nest around the league. IMO he needed to be humbled, and I think that may have just happened.

Rob M.

Last edited by ramram; 05-19-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:42 AM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
In Tom C's video above, it sure looks like Bautista's fist is going back and starting to close. He was just slower than Odor. I'm sure Odor is no angel but Bautista has made his own nest around the league. IMO he needed to be humbled, and I think that may have just happened.

Rob M.
It not a secret that I am a fan of JB, but as a fan of baseball I need to point out that the game has room for personalities and its hard scrabble players and plays. I am no wall flower. Jose has done enough in the league to earn a bit of playoff homerun boasting. Odor has not done much yet (save landing a haymaker).

Last edited by baseball tourist; 05-19-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:39 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Poll?

Should Bautista exorcise the funk?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OE2_0.jpg (66.1 KB, 665 views)

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post
It not a secret that I am a fan of JB, but as a fan of baseball I need to point out that the game has room for personalities and its hard scrabble players and plays. I am no wall flower. Jose has done enough in the league to earn a bit of playoff homerun boasting. Odor has not done much yet (save landing a haymaker).
Agreed. And, I do enjoy the diversity of personalities in baseball as it gives you plenty of players to love, hate, laugh and cringe about. I'm a life-long Royals fan and yet there are players on the team that I would not care for if they weren't wearing a KC uniform.

Rob M.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:44 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Chris & Graig- Here's hoping this thread gets back to the subject of the upcoming painting and the process of creating it.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-19-2016, 08:12 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Chris & Graig- Here's hoping this thread gets back to the subject of the upcoming painting and the process of creating it.

Thanks Raymond. If Graig doesn't mind I certainly don't. Good to have some threads with a healthy back and forth.

Last edited by baseball tourist; 05-19-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:54 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

Can I just say that I LOVE where this thread's been going. As I mentioned to Chris in an email just now, this pretty much confirms that he made the right choice for his painting. Clearly Bautista's actions last October really left a bad impression with the Rangers. And I'm not in a position to say whether what happened then or with Odor's punch is 'good for the game', but it makes the story of Chris' painting more and more compelling, in my eyes.

So, with that in mind, I'm happy to say that I received the stretcher bars for the linen last week. As I probably mentioned in previous threads, I use a heavy duty kind of bar, so there's less of an issue with warping. At the same time, it makes the painting feel a little bit more substantial to me. Unfortunately, like an idiot, I forgot to take a photo of the bars before construction. Doy!

After the linen was properly stretched and secured, I primed it with matte medium. The reason for doing so is to create a barrier between the primer the paint sits on and the linen itself. Over time, without such a thing, the oil paints will rot the linen. Granted, it probably wouldn't happen in our lifetime, but still.

Here's the canvas after the matte mediuming (Is that a word?):

If any of you have ever heard of rabbit skin glue, matte medium is a water-based equivalent. The former is used moreso with oil primer, a ground that I don't really love painting on. Acrylic gesso is more my speed. For what it's worth, it's a little less archival, but the difference in that become secondary to the kind of surface I want to paint on.

After the matte medium dries, it gets two coats of gesso:

Now, the next step is to sand it down a little bit to get rid of any unwanted texture. And from there, it's onto the drawing!

It's probably worth noting that one can easily walk into an art supply store and buy a pre-made, pre-stretched canvas. And there's nothing wrong with doing so. Actually, the quality of some of them is REALLY good. But I just like doing it all myself - it's a weird sense of accomplishment to build these things from the ground-up, I suppose.

Anywho, if any of you have questions or comments about these steps, feel free to chime in. Or, if you want to continue chatting about anything related to Bautista, the bat flip, the punch, whatever, go for it!

Stay tuned...

Graig
Old 05-20-2016, 01:51 PM
Steve Birmingham

Neat post!

I really like seeing stuff in progress with explanations like this. Especially when it's someone doing it themselves instead of using off the shelf stuff. (And like Graig said, nothing wrong with premade stuff it's just less interesting to me)

One of my customers when I was doing Hydraulics had a small press. The type he had is usually a laboratory press, and lasts a long time. He'd wear out the seals in a couple years. Finally I went to pick it up because he was busy and the tenants who'd helped him bring the working part downstairs had moved.
Turns out he was an artist who pressed his own linseed oil and added pigments to make his own paints. "Just like the did back in the old days " he said.

Pretty cool.