NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-02-2017, 07:17 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default "Situation" with a dealer need your take....

Hi Guys:

A dealer had an item listed on his site for sale with a dollar figure and a note saying the card is currently at PSA for grading.

I added the card to my cart along with a few others, purchased and paid for them via paypal through their site. I received a confirmation email of the purchase as well.

A day later I received this note:

The (card) is being graded and not available for sale. The price may go up or down based on the grade, I will email when we get it back. Thanks much and sorry for confusion.

They say the card is not available for sale, yet it was listed for sale on their site with a price. I was willing to buy the card sight unseen regardless of the grade it would get.

This is not a situation where say a $500 card was listed for $50.

If this happened to you what would your reply to the dealer be?

Thanks!

Last edited by whiteymet; 09-02-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:23 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Hi Guys:

A dealer had an item listed on his site for sale with a dollar figure and a note saying the card is currently at PSA for grading.

I added the card to my cart along with a few others, purchased and paid for them via paypal through their site.

A day later I received this note:

The (card) is being graded and not available for sale. The price may go up or down based on the grade, I will email when we get it back. Thanks much and sorry for confusion.

They say the card is not available for sale, yet it was listed for sale on their site with a price. I was willing to buy the card sight unseen regardless of the grade it would get.

This is not a situation where say a $500 card was listed for $50.

If this happened to you what would your reply to the dealer be?

Thanks!
I would move on and never buy from then again.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:30 PM
Chris

I would say, "thank you, please shoot me a message with the grade and price when it gets back from grading." It seems like the guy wanted to grade it but didn't want to go through the hassle of taking it down and then relisting. Definitely frustrating if you really wanted the card but not really a situation in my opinion.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:37 PM
R Dixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
I would say, "thank you, please shoot me a message with the grade and price when it gets back from grading." It seems like the guy wanted to grade it but didn't want to go through the hassle of taking it down and then relisting. Definitely frustrating if you really wanted the card but not really a situation in my opinion.
Yeah I agree with this. Doesn't seem like anything to get too worked up over. Hopefully you still get the card.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:24 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdixon1208 View Post
Yeah I agree with this. Doesn't seem like anything to get too worked up over. Hopefully you still get the card.
Though if this dealer thinks that you really want it, the price will almost certainly go up.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:07 AM
Ian Penistone

You should be able to work this through with the dealer. One would assume the card was priced according to the dealers assessment of its condition therefore the grade should be in line with his pricing or potentially lower. Did the website price include the grading process ? If not the dealer will expect you to contribute to that process. I find it is always better to keep people onside that fall out. After all there's always another card around the corner
Old 09-03-2017, 05:39 AM

I don't think it's a big situation. I think adding a note that a card is out for grading indicates that it may temporarily not be for sale.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre
Old 09-03-2017, 06:48 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Most likely a case of the card not yet in inventory, so he cant yet complete the transaction

However

This is not a situation where say a $500 card was listed for $50.*

If it was this situation, why should it be different?

A pricing error or technical error once the card has been "sold" is a slippery slope. If some new information comes to after the sale and before it is shipped, can dealers just use this excuse and relist?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 09-03-2017, 06:55 AM
Scott Russell

Well check when a major retailer like WalMart or Amazon has a pricing error. It's not hard to find the stories online and basically no, they don't usually honor them.

https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-won...icing-mistake/
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 09-03-2017 at 06:56 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:39 AM
Ne@l K

I would ask for the right of first refusal once the card comes back.

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 09-03-2017, 07:52 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I'm sure there are a million others, but I liked this

The company said that its terms of use strictly state that no contract for sale has been formed until customers receive an e-mail stating that their order has shipped,*

Might be worth adding to some sellers terms.

Where does it become an ethics vs legal battle? Sellers lists every card at buy it now at 1$ each. One sells and right away another buyer offers $10. Can a Seller hide behind a pricing error even though all cards were the same price? For 9 bucks I can't see making a big deal, I'm using it for principal.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 09-03-2017, 08:59 AM
Scott Russell

Well it's important to note that here in USA you can't sign away your UCC rights, so if they have a policy that violates the UCC and you agree to that policy, it doesn't matter it's unenforceable. If they consider the contract formed upon receipt of email stating item has shipped, then they violated their own policy AND most likely the UCC by rerouting the shipment back to them.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-04-2017, 07:39 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Hi Guys:

Sorry, I was away for the long week end.

Thanks for your input. Don't know yet what will happen, but I will keep you all informed going forward.

Any thoughts from others?
Old 09-05-2017, 11:14 AM
Robert Williams

Tell him the offer stands as it is now, irregardless of grade. Once the grade comes back, just like he reserves the right to raise the price, tell him, you reserve the right to lower your offer. Put the ball in his court.

:PS - if he thinks you are desperate, he may raise the price anyway. You should put yourself in the frame of mind to walk away.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 09-05-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:18 PM
Br1an N0Iff

I guess I'm confused. Guy buys the card for sale, the dealer should honor it, bottom line. Do not understand anyone making excuses or taking the side of the dealer.....pretty cut and dry to me.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:37 AM
Glyn Parson

Default I agree with bobby w

On this I agree with BobbyW. Exactly how you should approach it. I honestly feel the dealer should honor the sale price if whiteymet is willing to wait until it is returned from grading. I would possibly inquire if i paid the grading fee on top of the asking price would he commit to the sale right now regardless of grade, this only if i felt i really needed the crd or thought the price plus grading was still very reasonable, but I would understand one just wanting to hold their ground on the initial pricing.