NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-12-2017, 09:30 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Default It Seems I Keep Getting Steals on eBay. What Am I Missing?

I just picked up a Wallace T205 1-line for $350 today (SGC 30/2). Last month I picked up a WaJo T202 for $340 (SGC 70/5.5). It seems to me that either of these cards should sell in the $700-$900 range. The odd thing is that they are from dealers who know they're doing. They weren't accidents or anything like that. I know one of the dealers is among the biggest on eBay and usually has pretty good pricing but nothing spectacular. The other priced almost everything just under VCP (less than 5% usually). So what am I missing here? I hate to keep buying cards that I think are bargains if they actually aren't. I suspect at worst these cards are at fair value but they aren't what I normally collect. I just continue to pull the trigger because they look too good to pass up. I can post the listings if that would help.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:37 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz View Post
I just picked up a Wallace T205 1-line for $350 today (SGC 30/2). Last month I picked up a WaJo T202 for $340 (SGC 70/5.5). It seems to me that either of these cards should sell in the $700-$900 range. The odd thing is that they are from dealers who know they're doing. They weren't accidents or anything like that. I know one of the dealers is among the biggest on eBay and usually has pretty good pricing but nothing spectacular. The other priced almost everything just under VCP (less than 5% usually). So what am I missing here? I hate to keep buying cards that I think are bargains if they actually aren't. I suspect at worst these cards are at fair value but they aren't what I normally collect. I just continue to pull the trigger because they look too good to pass up. I can post the listings if that would help.
List the cards for sale for what you think someone will pay for them. If they sell, than you are proven right
Old 02-12-2017, 10:31 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Same card....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz View Post
Tyler,
The same Wallace you got for $350 went for $229 just last year. Same card, same holder, same serial number so not sure why you think it should be worth a lot more? Not a lot of "comps" lately so really not that much data to go on but the guy who sold it to you made a modest profit.

Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 02-12-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:05 AM
D.mitr.y D.

Yeah, the T205 Wallace 1 line used to sell for more, but has dropped off significantly.

Your T202 WaJo was a decent deal, but I got a PSA 4 T202 myself for $260 a few months ago, with PSA 5s going for around $350, so the SGC 5.5 is worth roughly the same $350.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:12 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

That T202 is awesome. In my experience, that issue is very undervalued, so the price is probably in the right ballpark. I tend to believe that eBay comes as close as possible to an efficient market, so getting true steals is about as rare as finding Sasquatch.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:16 AM
Mike P.ap

Default :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
That T202 is awesome. In my experience, that issue is very undervalued, so the price is probably in the right ballpark. I tend to believe that eBay comes as close as possible to an efficient market, so getting true steals is about as rare as finding Sasquatch.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:04 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
For me at least getting a steal on a buy it now is getting a card at market price instead of a clear 10% more than if it sold in a regular ebay no reserve auction..
Old 02-13-2017, 10:36 AM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default steals

Somebody should be the " E Bay " cop...they just watch everything. And if they feel its going to go for too cheap..they step in and buy it..regardless of whether they need it or not...... OH wait..I could be talking about 100 different guys right now ! LOL
Old 02-13-2017, 11:16 AM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Thanks for the responses gentlemen. Looks like I need to pay more attention to recent sales of the card and set. I'm still amazed at how relatively cheap t202's are. Maybe there will be a craze for them at some point.

Last edited by ronniehatesjazz; 02-13-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:22 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Missing? Apparently a VCP subscription...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-13-2017, 12:59 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Agreed!!
Old 02-13-2017, 01:38 PM
D.mitr.y D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
+1

Best money you can spend if you buy (or even sell) a lot.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:28 PM
Sean McGinty

I love the T202 Walter Johnsons, that is a steal at that price IMHO.

Last edited by seanofjapan; 02-13-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:25 AM
T0dd M@rcum

So long as you are happy with the price and the cards, I would not obsess about researching it in retrospect. It can only make you feel worse about your decision. Enjoy. Two fine pickups.