NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-12-2017, 06:53 AM

Default tell us your bonehead purchase stories!

So I wake up this morning at 5:45am eastern (as I do each Sunday). Blurry eyed and half asleep, I search some of my usual eBay searches, and wow, up comes (what I think) is a T206 red Cobb portrait PSA 4.5 Piedmont 350-460, 42, for $5k. I think what a find and I must act quick, so I buy it immediately. Two hours later I look at the card again, and there it is, plain as day - a nice looking 4.5 factory 25 (not 42)! Well, well, seems I just totally overpaid for a card I need like I need a whole in my head!!!

I want to stress this is all my fault- the seller clearly listed it as a factory 25 and there is nothing on his listing to indicate otherwise, including the back scan which clearly shows it's a factory 25. So I now own a factory 25, that I don't need, for $1600 more than it just sold on eBay for 4 days ago. I emailed the seller and asked if he would buy back for $4000 and I would take the $1000 loss (have not heard back), but I am fully prepared to accept my lovely factory 25 at the price I agreed to pay.

Anyway, could sure use consolation about now - so please let's hear some bonehead purchase stories!

Btw - if anyone is looking to trade for a really nice looking Cobb red 4.5, I am open to offers and aware I will get fleeced!
Old 02-12-2017, 08:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I venture to guess most of us have done something similar. That being said it does suck when it happens. Good luck on fixing that one.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:52 AM
Sc0tt Sp@id

Hopefully, that lightning fast draw of yours has yielded some nice deals in the past...
Old 02-12-2017, 10:07 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

A fellow collector once told me, " there's no such thing as too much, only too soon." You bought a blue chip card in a fantastic grade. Don't beat yourself up. Put it in the safety deposit box and forget about it for a few years. You can still come out on top, it's just going to take some time.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:07 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Last edited by conor912; 02-12-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:26 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
A fellow collector once told me, " there's no such thing as too much, only too soon." You bought a blue chip card in a fantastic grade. Don't beat yourself up. Put it in the safety deposit box and forget about it for a few years. You can still come out on top, it's just going to take some time.
Sage advice. I got into a bidding war on an American Beauty, not even of the opposite sex, and ended up winning much to my chagrin. Five years later I sold it for more than I paid. Time may not heal all wounds (anyone interested in my Bo Jackson RC collection), but it can often bail you out.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:47 AM
Bry@n

Don't give him $1000!!! The guy has free 30-day returns! At the worst you let him ship it to you and ship it back. Even if he charges the 10% restocking fee that he says might apply, that still puts you down only $500 instead of $1000. Also, through eBay you have the option to officially request that the sale be canceled - which costs you $0. I have requested this once and it worked just fine - I did something similar (for a lot less $$), sent a nice email immediately (obv has to be before the card ships) and the seller was happy to cancel the sale after my request.

Last edited by Jobu; 02-12-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:54 AM
D.mitr.y D.

Perhaps your purchase will help push mid grade Red Cobbs up quicker! I'd honestly expect your card to be worth what you paid in a few years time - maybe even sooner the way T206 Cobbs have been trending.

When I first got back into the hobby nearly 2 years ago, I didn't have any research tools available to me (aside from the last 90 days of eBay sales) and spent above average VCP on a few cards. I also bought a few BVG slabs that I somewhat regret now, but luckily, nothing too bad overall.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:38 AM

Thanks for all the takes. It's not the end of the world - it is a Cobb (a very nice one at that) and I am a collector not a re-seller, so I agree that it will work out in the end. I did email the seller and explained my brain fart (no response), but I will not cancel the deal nor return it - I bought it, end of story, it's my bad not his. I am not complaining and luckily I am in a position to absorb this. What bothers me more is that this 4.5 looks busted against my other cards, all of which are 6 or above and/or rare front/back combos; in other words, I over paid for a card I have no need for- the double dinger!

Then again, I guess I should feel lucky that I am griping about not needing a Cobb 4.5.....
Old 02-12-2017, 11:56 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Don't give him $1000!!! The guy has free 30-day returns! At the worst you let him ship it to you and ship it back. Even if he charges the 10% restocking fee that he says might apply, that still puts you down only $500 instead of $1000. Also, through eBay you have the option to officially request that the sale be canceled - which costs you $0. I have requested this once and it worked just fine - I did something similar (for a lot less $$), sent a nice email immediately (obv has to be before the card ships) and the seller was happy to cancel the sale after my request.
Some people choose to take accountability for their mistakes. I applaud the OP for not trying to weasel out of a deal HE initiated.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:58 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

I take a jaunt every now and then through VCP, and when I did so last week, I looked at some of the cards I've purchased in the last couple years. Much to my dismay, I still own the record for "highest price paid" for a number of cards I've purchased. I don't regret that, though, as I try to buy quality cards for the grade, and I know, as others have said, that time will catch up to the value.

Hell, at least you didn't buy one of those Lucky 7 find Cobbs that keep appearing in the Cobb search.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:01 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Some people choose to take accountability for their mistakes. I applaud the OP for not trying to weasel out of a deal HE initiated.

You mean be a man of your word??

Say it aint so!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Brian clif.ford

Nice to see someone honor their word. Yea don't give him a grand, just hold it. It will work out for you in the end,
Old 02-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Bry@n

It has nothing to do with being a weasel or being a man of your word. If you ask to cancel a deal it is up to the seller to say yes or no. There is nothing wrong with asking.

The seller also CHOSE to list his item with no questions asked returns (with a hefty potential "restocking" charge ... It is pretty hard to put a card back in a box). That means returning an item is 100% legit for any reason and there is nothing wrong with it ---- and that is what the seller wanted. This is not a no return listing. I do find it interesting to learn that there are apparently people out there who have never returned anything in their lives.

Last edited by Jobu; 02-12-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:15 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Back when you typed in your bid amounts, I once accidentally added an extra digit to a bid in a major auction. Think $50,000 instead of $5,000. Happily, there was no other bidding and nothing financially harmful came of it.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:30 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I got into a one-on-one bidding war on the 'bay and paid $57 for a raw 1965 Topps Dick Groat.

Seems like I traded a nice T206 for a 1970 Topps Nolan Ryan later graded a '6'.

-traded a Lew Alcindor RC for something much younger.

Sold my entire collection three times just to replace it piece by piece over the years...at higher prices, of course.

- but, I'm much better now. lol

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-12-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Sage advice. I got into a bidding war on an American Beauty, not even of the opposite sex, and ended up winning much to my chagrin. Five years later I sold it for more than I paid. Time may not heal all wounds (anyone interested in my Bo Jackson RC collection), but it can often bail you out.

Back in 2004, I paid $800 for a Green Cobb, really nice PSA 1. Back then they weren't worth $800 (more like $650), but it was the last card I needed for my T206 set and I didn't want to wait. I overpaid on a Cobb then, but now it could probably get twice the amount. As the other two people have said, you won't lose money by holding on to that Cobb.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 02-13-2017, 06:17 AM

Updating my story -- the ebay seller replied to my email this morning and offered to keep the card for a 10% restocking. I accepted his offer. The seller is called madeofmiracles and he is my hero! Very gracious and great customer service (although I say that without having seen the balance hit my Paypal account for a refund). In the end, the lesson I have learned here is no Ebay purchases for this guy before noon! (and perhaps get my eyes checked more often).

I was prepared to accept the card (and actually had strong interest from Forum members to trade for and/or buy the card from me -- I love Net54), and it would not have been the end of the world, given it was a great looking Cobb and in time would have worked out. But alas, there are still some real good folks on ebay and Omar of madeofmiracles is one of them, and it all worked out -- a nice $500 adventure.

Thanks to all who responded to my post.

As an aside, Jobu was correct in his advice that I could have taken advantage of Seller's 30-day return policy and I appreciate the guidance on that.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:55 PM
Bob Davies

So not being a T206 collector, and understanding the backs can have a lot of play in the price, I'm still a little blown away by the Factory 25 / Factory 42 difference.

I'm looking to add a T206 Cobb or 2 to my collection, and have really been downplaying the backs in search of something in a 3-5 with nice eye appeal... regardless of the back. Simply something I could enjoy, while assuming it is still considered "blue chip" longer term.

I think you're gonna tell me to invest in a VCP membership, but short of that, how far ranging are red (or green, or bat on or off) Cobb's based on the backs (exclugint the Ty Cobb backs, of course.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but any suggestions on where my best bang for the buck would go on a T206 Cobb?

Thanks in advance...
Old 02-14-2017, 01:05 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

A few deals "off ebay" because the seller ran their own "private" auction as people kept asking him to end it...hence no returns

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-14-2017, 01:13 PM
D.mitr.y D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
So not being a T206 collector, and understanding the backs can have a lot of play in the price, I'm still a little blown away by the Factory 25 / Factory 42 difference.

I'm looking to add a T206 Cobb or 2 to my collection, and have really been downplaying the backs in search of something in a 3-5 with nice eye appeal... regardless of the back. Simply something I could enjoy, while assuming it is still considered "blue chip" longer term.

I think you're gonna tell me to invest in a VCP membership, but short of that, how far ranging are red (or green, or bat on or off) Cobb's based on the backs (exclugint the Ty Cobb backs, of course.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but any suggestions on where my best bang for the buck would go on a T206 Cobb?

Thanks in advance...
The green portrait is rarer than the red. That being said, you'll pay a hefty premium for anything but a common back on a card as high in demand as a T206 Cobb. It all comes down to what is most appealing to you for the amount you plan to spend. And yes, VCP is your friend.

Last edited by sterlingfox; 02-14-2017 at 01:13 PM.