NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-09-2014, 07:57 PM

Default Baseball signed by Honus Wagner, Ralph Kiner, Hank Greenberg, + Others

Folks

I am brand new here, and not a collector. I have only one item of potential value, but have no experience to know if it is truly of any value or how best to find out. Back in the 1910s-30s, a semi-pro baseball team played in Scottdale, PA, my hometown. My great grandfather was somehow involved with this team (probably as an investor) and therefore had access to the organization and related professional teams, including the Pittsburgh Pirates (just 45 minutes away). Because of his access, he was able to collect quite a few signatures on a baseball and pass that down until it came to me. The most prominent signatures on this ball belong to Honus Wagner, Ralph Kiner, and Hank Greenberg. The ball is not in particularly good condition: faded leather; some scruff marks (including over some of the key signatures); and faded ink. My dad, who gave me the ball, told me to look into selling it to help pay for my five kids' college education (man, is that expensive!), but I'm not sure I could get very much for the ball -- perhaps the sentimental value is higher than the actual value.

So, I am seeking advice from the "pros" on how I may be able to verify the value (without mailing it off to a company on the other side of the country), and then sell it (if it proves to be of sufficient value). Suggestions? FYI, I live just outside of Macon, Georgia.

Thank you!
Old 03-09-2014, 08:25 PM
Alex

Did you mean to post a photo?
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:41 AM
Steven Finley

If you just want piece of mind for the ball you can list it on eBay for an absurd amount and do a PSA quick opinion online. It's not concrete, but a fair enough assessment without having to ship it. If you really want to sell the ball then I would go ahead and get a full authentication from JSA or PSA. Some people are comfortable enough with with their own eyes and the plausibility of the provenance, but the majority of buyers like the warmth of a good cert to allieviate their fears. Most major auction houses would love to have your piece and usually bring in one of the big authenticators prior to auction so you wouldn't have to ship it multiple times. REA, Goldin, and Heritage are some of the major players on the auction scene although I've had great customer experiences from or heard great things about smaller auctioneers like Sterling Sports and B&L Auctions (both run by reputable board members). I'm no expert but depending on the condition and crispness of your ball I'd put it in the low to mid four figures. With five tuitions to spread that amongst the family history of the ball might outweigh the monetary value return you recieve, but good luck no matter you decide. Welcome to the forum.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:03 AM
Paul S

From what I understand (and you should know that I may well be the least knowledgeable person on this board) there are tons of things that go into the value of a signed ball. I have a ball kind of like the one you have, with about 15 Detroit Tigers' signatures on it, including Greenberg, Newhouser, Gehringer, Birdie Tibbetts, Dutch Meyer, and a few others. I took it to a dealer once who told me that it would actually be worth more if it only had Hank on it. That having other signatures, even of guys like Gehringer, actually decreased the value over a solosigned ball. Seemed odd to me, but that's what I was told. On the other hand, he said that since Hank had signed right under the label, that made it more valuable than if he had signed on the side. But the fact that they had all signed the ball at a reunion event, well after their playing careers were over, made it worth less. Never ended up selling it, but he said it was probably worth three or four hundred. Not even enough to buy textbooks.

Last edited by pbspelly; 03-10-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:27 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

A picture would help for sure but based on those names, you're looking at $1000 or $1500 in good condition. I would hold on to it and continue passing it down.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:24 AM

pbspelly,

This is why I am very leery of single signed baseballs; a scam artist can buy a multi-signed ball, erase the names of the other people and then sell the single signed ball for more money.

As far as the original poster and their question, if you can not post a picture at least you could say if the baseball has a stamp on it telling who the Commissioner or President of the league was. IF there is a stamp like this then people who know about baseballs can tell you approximately when the ball was made and if THAT affects the value any....

David
Old 03-12-2014, 08:39 PM

Default Unable to Attach Photos

Thank you for the replies, everyone. I took your advice and have now taken a few photos of the ball. Unfortunately, this forum has a file size limit that is exceedingly small (78.1KB for a jpg file), and all of my photos greatly exceed this limit. Even when I attempt to save the files at the "lowest quality" setting, the file size is still too large. I'm sorry that I am not computer savvy enough to know how to make this work. Any suggestions?

FYI, someone wrote on the ball the year 1949, which I presume my great-grandfather wrote to record the year he collected the signatures, perhaps at a single event. The ball is stamped "Official League; Yarn Wrapped" on the center spot. I have no idea if this is meaningful to the ball's valuation.

Last edited by rottnsox; 03-12-2014 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Bad Title
Old 03-12-2014, 09:11 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

If you want to forward the photo files to me, I'll resize and post them for you. I'm sure others would be willing to do the same.

thecatspajamas99 at gmail.com

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 03-12-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:47 PM

Default Baseball Signatures Deciphered -- Partially

Thanks to thecatspajamas for offering to help me post the photos -- I have sent them to him in hopes of success. In the mean time, I did decipher a few of the other signatures (in addition to Wagner, Kiner, and Greenberg):

Rip Sewell
Fritz Ostermueller
Eddie Basinski
Bill Salkeld
Wally Westlake
Clyde Kluttz (love that name!)
Billy Herman
Nick Strincevich
Jim Russell
Elbie Fletcher
John Lanning
Roy Jarvis
Chet Smith (sports writer/editor in Pittsburgh)

There are a few more I have yet to figure out. Most of these played for the Pirates in the mid- to late-1940s. That makes sense given the "1949" date hand-written on the ball. Thanks again.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:54 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

you're welcome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3343.jpg (14.4 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3345.jpg (15.0 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3346.jpg (14.1 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3347.jpg (15.4 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3348.jpg (15.8 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3349.jpg (14.7 KB, 160 views)
Old 03-12-2014, 09:58 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Getting the images a little larger:

Old 03-13-2014, 05:33 AM

Thank you greatly! Now, any thoughts from the crowd on the potential value (or lack thereof :-)) for this ball? I'd also welcome help interpreting the signatures that I have yet to decipher (see my list so far in a previous reply on this thread). Thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:59 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

I'll stick with my $1000 at the higher end. Cool family momento.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:39 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
pbspelly,

This is why I am very leery of single signed baseballs; a scam artist can buy a multi-signed ball, erase the names of the other people and then sell the single signed ball for more money.

As far as the original poster and their question, if you can not post a picture at least you could say if the baseball has a stamp on it telling who the Commissioner or President of the league was. IF there is a stamp like this then people who know about baseballs can tell you approximately when the ball was made and if THAT affects the value any....

David
That kind of alteration is easily revealed by a black light.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 03-13-2014, 09:40 AM
Richard Simon

This ball has some condition issues. I don't see it valued at $1000.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 03-13-2014, 10:11 AM
Brendan Mullen

$700-$1100
Old 03-13-2014, 08:15 PM

Default Thanks -- All Names (Except 3)

Thanks to everyone for the inputs. I definitely see that this ball has much more sentimental value than any "real" value. I do appreciate your time. I have done my best to decipher the names. With the help of Google, I believe I have discovered all but three of the signatures. I continue to welcome any help in filling in the blanks on the three "Unknown" names. Feel free to send me a personal note if you can decipher them from the pictures above: rottnsox@mac.com. Thanks again!

SIDE ONE
Honus Wagner
Hank Greenberg

SIDE TWO
Wally Westlake
Ralph Kiner
Clyde Kluttz
Billy Herman
Nick Strincevich
Unknown
Billy Cox

SIDE THREE
Jim Russell
Elbie Fletcher
John Lanning
Roy Jarvis

SIDE FOUR
Chet Smith (sports writer/editor in Pittsburgh)
Rip Sewell
Unknown
Unknown

SIDE FIVE
Frankie Gustine
Fritz Ostermueller
Eddie Basinski
Ken Heintzelman
Bill Salkeld

Tags
autographed baseball, hank greenberg, honus wagner, ralph kiner