NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Matt Wieder

Default Degree of Trimming Affecting Value?

What are your thoughts on how the degree of trimming effects value - presumably a card where the border is completely removed on all 4 sides retains less value then a card with a slight trim to one edge, but what about the stages in between? I'm tracking a pricey card now in an auction that has the border completely removed on one edge - would you value that the same as if it was just trimmed slightly on that edge?

Last edited by Matt; 06-05-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:57 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
What are your thoughts on how the degree of trimming effects value - presumably a card where the border is completely removed on all 4 sides retains less value then a card with a slight trim to one edge, but what about the stages in between? I'm tracking a pricey card now in an auction that has the border completely removed on one edge - would you value that the same as if it was just trimmed slightly on that edge?
I think the degrees of price when it comes to trimmed card all depends on eye appeal. Obviously, a card with no borders whatsoever has little eye appeal, if any. A card missing one entire border may be next in line(personal opinion). So on and so on. Basically, the less obvious the trimming, the better the eye appeal. And then there are many who view all trimmed card the same, regardless of degree. They don't want 'em.. It all comes down to how many prospective buyers are chased away by the trimming. The more people that would potentially say "I know it's trimmed, but I still want it", the better.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default to me

This is going to be very personal in valuations as each person will have their ideas, relative to aesthetics and their own tendencies. For me once a card is trimmed or altered it certainly loses some of its value. It's all about aesthetics and the rarity of the card after that. If it is super rare I might not diminish the value as much, especially if it is a barely noticeable trim. If it is a whole border or more, then the percentage of value loss is greater. If the card is a more common card then any trim is going to affect it more drastically than a more rare one. With the advent and acceptance of AUT grades the prices have certainly risen on altered cards, imo.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
As said above, the card would have to be pretty damn rare for me to be interested in it with a completely lost border.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:52 AM

Default Trimming

I think this is obviously very subjective to each potential owner. I would probably value that card quite a bit less than a slightly trimmed border....depending upon the card and how badly I wanted it.....

MWheat
Old 06-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Matt Wieder

Thanks all - good thoughts.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

sometimes the slightly trimmed/shaved cards (done to deceive) loses more % of value than a heavily trimmed card.

ie the value between a PSA-9 1933 Goudey Ruth, and a slightly trimmed version of the same card may be over $50K+ difference in value, even though the eye appeal is virtually the same.
while a creased PSA-1 would only be worth 2-3X more than a creases card with a more obvious vintage trim/chop job (not done to deceive)

Last edited by fkw; 06-05-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:57 AM
Mike C@.v3

Default My opinion

I would have to agree with most of the comments so far. In reality, it's up to the buyer to determine what the card is worth to them and how much they will pay for it. Me, personally, I don't care too much for trimmed cards, but if a card is usually high priced in any grade, but can be offered at a reasonable price altered, I will consider adding that to my collection because spending money on cards can be tough to get sometimes.

But I do agree that trimming does take away from the value of the card and the severity does matter in the trim job as far as price goes. I just purchased a trimmed card on here yesterday and it really looks great...it was a higher priced card and being trimmed allowed me to afford it

Great discussion by the way!

Mike
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 06-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Other than W's or prewar candy box images. I collect trimmed 1/1's, regardless of the severity.

Last edited by Ladder7; 06-06-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Scott

To me, the trimming is also "In the eyes of the beholder". I have two, possibly three, cards in my type card mini collection that are trimmed. They r both REALLY nice eye appeal wise, and fill a hole at a much more reasonbable price. Both are graded "A" by SGC too, so resale wouldn't be impossible if need be.

For rare/expensive cards, its a MUST For many on low budgets too. Obviously, all things equal Id rather have non trimmed cards. But, I had a choice between an SGC 20 at best Cracker Jack w lots of stains and corner wear, or an "A" that cept for a small trim, looks Nr mt. I chose the nicer one, due to the eye appeal.

One thing I do agree w all on, MAJOR trimming is dumb. A dealer in CT had four strip cards, literally all trimmed borders gone, adn still wanted like VG prices for common strip cards.

Not as bad as the page of T-206's tho, that LITERALLY were ripped half. I didn't ask the price, or if he knew where the rest of the card(s) were, in fear of regurgitating the bowl of chili I had just had.