NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-20-2009, 08:40 AM

Default 1934-1936 Batter-Ups

In general, I find 1930s baseball cards to be among the most colorful, mysterious and under-appreciated decade in the hobby. Sure, caramel and tobacco cards are nice, but there is something about depression-era cards that have really caught my interest. I recently completed the 1933 R305 Tattoo Orbit set, I seem to have finished it at the right time, since hardly any ever pop up for sale anymore. I've also completely deconstructed my collection and starting from the ground up with the 1933 Delong set (SGC 40 or better) and 1934-1936 Batter-Ups (completely ungraded).

I would appreciate any thoughts or musings about the Batter-Up set. I'm only going to do the low series with as many different colors as possible along with a wrapper. Being that I work in the auction industry, there are enough Goudey's and Diamond Stars that I could find them on the bottom of the Marianas Trench. However, Batter-Ups seem a little bit more elusive than I once thought they were. Thoughts? Opinions? Costs associated with building a raw (VGish) low series set?

James
Old 05-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Al

James:

Batter-Ups are beautiful, and tough. The high numbers are particularly tough.

Once you've got it complete, you could take it a step further and chase after the R344 Rabbit Maranville "How To" booklets that were issued in the high number packs. They would make a great companion to the Batter-Up set.

Then, when you've got those done, you could chase after the R303 Goudey premiums (A, B, and C, 96 cards in all) as a companion to the R344s, since the R309s made use of the R344 artwork on the backs of the cards. That was done after Goudey bought the assets of National Chicle in 1937.

Once you've got the R309s done, you might as well build a 1938 Goudey set as companion to the R303s, since the R303s may very well have been issued as a premium to help sell both Diamond Stars Gum in 1939, and the Heads Up Goudey cards in 1938.

Of course, when you've got '38 Goudey done, you might as well build a complete run of Goudey cards, dating all the way back to 1933.

Good luck with the Lajoie.

-Al
Old 05-20-2009, 11:34 AM

Ha! I will stick to the low number Batter-Ups and DeLongs

James
Old 05-20-2009, 11:58 AM
Al

Chicken.

-Al
Old 05-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Chris Counts

Default Batter Ups

James,

I agree with everything you say about Batter Ups and 30s cards in general. I've never really thought about putting a set together, but I've acquired quite a few over the years. I particularly like the images in the high numbered series and the subtle shades they come in. As for the low numbers, I favor the greens and the true reds (not magentas), which are the toughest to find. Since I'm always on a budget, I don't mind if they're missing their tops. Here are a few of my favorites ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34grove2.jpg.jpg (10.5 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg 34ott.jpg.jpg (10.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 34traynor3.jpg.jpg (9.4 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg 36lombardi.jpg.jpg (11.9 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg 36klein2.jpg.jpg (13.2 KB, 119 views)
Old 05-20-2009, 01:10 PM
Brad Green

Default Grove Colors...

Here are the six different colors for Grove.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Steven Finley

Speaking of those Batter-Ups, as player collector (Tommy Bridges) I've been wondering about the different colors of that set. Were they released in different ways? Were certain colors short-printed? Who decided purple tinted cards where ahead of the curve? JK. Don't mean to hijack a thread but if someone could enlighten me on the different tinted Play-Balls I would appreciate it.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Chris Counts

Default Batter Ups

Steven,

I've heard that green is the toughest color, but from my experience, it's the cards that are a true red, or at least close to it. Magenta cards are quite common, and I suspect that the purple and red ones are just printing variations of magenta. The black and white and sepia cards seem to be quite common, and the blue ones aren't too hard to find. As for high numbers, I have no idea which shade is tougher, since all the cards are tough. The differences in color among the high numbered cards are subtle, but still distinct. I have 26 high numbered cards, and here is the breakdown: 16 with a slightly gold tint, 2 with a heavy gold-copper tint, 4 with a slight green tint and 4 with a slight blue tint ...
Old 05-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Steven Finley

Any reason why they might have done this?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Johnny S

I really enjoy all the cards from the depression era. Not to long ago I finished the 34 Goudey set after 10 long years and had a great time putting it together. My nice grandparents were married in 34 and my grandmother made 50 cents a week cleaning houses, I always think of that when I look through the cards and think what a luxury they were for someone at that time. The batter ups really capture the dustbowl era effect with the grimy images and are very cool.