NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Default Miracles Do Happen- Look What The Yankees Just Did

Posted By: howard

Sorry Dan, I should have read the whole thread. As usual you prove to be a class act.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I'm not sure how anyone can hate Derek Jeter. I've tried and I just can't do it. wink.gif

Old 04-29-2009, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

Life is too short to waste a good emotion like HATE on a baseball team.

A lot of folks seem to forget the Yankees were terrible during the Mattingly years.. perhaps they are on the verget of another. Just like a lot of things, the Yankees have their ups and downs and have plenty of bad eras.. they are not the evil doers that so many claim they are..

marty
Old 04-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I agree it is silly to hate a team; I merely find them uninteresting (although I do expect a lot of high scoring games at the new stadium).

Old 04-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

I just wish every team would finish with an 81-81 record and be equally liked and admired by every fan. That's the way it should be, but I don't know. I suppose there's hope a law could be passed ...

Old 04-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: howard

The Yanks weren't terrible during the Mattingly years. They were only bad for three or four years when Mattingly's back was deteriorating and the Yankees foolishly let Rickey Henderson get away (among other bad moves).

Old 04-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

Energetically hating a team is fairly pointless, but there's nothing wrong with rooting against a team. The word "hate" when used in a message board context, and especially a sports context should rarely be taken literally. Saying "I hate the Yankees" on a board usually just means somebody roots against them, not that they have a small shrine in their house with burning candles where they place hexes on Derek Jeter.

Howard,
The reason I brought it up in the first place was that he asked me the same question in another thread where is knocked the Yankees a bit. Perhaps I could have phrased my above post a little better, but there is definitely a difference in perspective from 18 to even 5 or 10 years later so I understand what Dan was telling me.

Brock,
I was just curious why you keep asking the question...there's no need to apologize for asking it or for being spirited in your team's defense. There's certainly nothing wrong with being a Yankees fan either, but you have to realize that fans of most other teams will probably be indifferent to your guys at best. If I were a Yankee fan I'd be thrilled with all the money they spend, but as a fan of a team (Oakland) that usually gets players poached from them I'm looking at it from a different perspective.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

If I've spent the money it's theirs to do with however they please. I don't consider money spent as being mine after the fact. Look at the Marlins owner... he pockets the Luxury Tax money he receives from the rest of the league. So there are 2 sides to that story.

Right or wrong you have to recognize that the Yankees are a historically successful franchise... and their fan base stems in large part from it... and that without the guys you collect, they wouldn't be who they are today. Kind of ironic? The guys on your cardboard are probably the main reason they are who they are (Steinbrenners aside)

I don't agree with the way they run their business most of the time either... but I don't fault the players for the front office... for that I stick with the team... good or bad. I had a lot of good years in the early 90's going to those games while I was at Fordham and they weren't winning squat.

If anything it's just become tougher because of the guys and contracts they have done. But what are you gonna do? Gotta stay loyal.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Atkatz

Why?

Let me tell ya a little story. About 10 years ago I was in Chicago on business. I'd never seen Wrigley Field, and thought I'd go take a look. The Cubs were on the road, but Wrigley was open--you could walk in, walk around, take it in... There was a T-ball team--4-6 year olds, playing in the outfield, and I even managed to step out onto the field. Friendly confines, indeed.

Fast forward to four years ago. My youngest son, Daniel (who, BTW was born on the site of Hilltop Park) is two, and I decide to take him to see Yankee Stadium. He's much too young to sit through a game, so we go when the Yankees are on the road. (Sound familiar?) The loading dock between Gate 2 and the bleachers is open, and (if you're taller that, say 5') you can just see a bit of the field from the street. I ask the Yankees' low-paid Security "guard" if my son in his stroller and I can just step into the dock area, so that he can see the green of the outfield in the distance. Guess what we were told.

I took my teenage son to the last game at Yankee Stadium, and the opening game at the money-sucking machine they call Yankee Stadium now. (I wanted him to be able to tell his grandchildren that he was there when Yankee Stadium closed, and I know that the new Stadium will mean something to him, so it was good that he was there when it opened.) I'll continue to go to the occasional game with the boys, but I'll be standing at the top of the seventh.

(I don't collect cardboard, BTW--I collect autographs and artifacts. Still have the ball Mantle signed for me outside the Stadium in 1967. (I've seen my share of losing Yankee teams, too. Remember Horace Clarke and Dick Schofield?) Part of the beauty of my collection, for me, is that that ball, and my Ruth single, and my '27 Yankees ball, etc. were signed by the players simply to make fans happy, and not to profit the players, the team, or Steiner Sports.)

Old 04-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Thanks for sharing those stories. It's too bad you were denied looking over the field but let's be honest here... that low paid security guard was probably acting on his own and on a different day your experience may have been different. Not saying it's a fact but it's possible.

As for the money sucking machine... I pay $12 a seat for my bleacher tickets. Would I prefer to be in the leather recliners behind home? Certainly. But I enjoy the games every bit as much.

Your collection sounds fantastic. I don't remember Horace and Dick playing but I do know about those teams and have their cards.

I just think it's sad that you hate and root against a team you loved as a kid because of their front office. I've met a lot of their players over the years from my job and they have all been very nice... Jeter, Justice, O'Neil, Clemens and a bunch of others. All very cool and ready to sign stuff for nothing.

I'm just saying I root for the pinstripes... not the suits. I try not to pay attention to those guys.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:25 PM
Administrator

I don't hate the team (well, maybe a player or two wink.gif , just the owners and the organization. There are players on that team I like quite a bit. (I gave Posada a standing O on opening day--no one deserved to hit the first home run in that park more than him.)

The only thing that will make the organization miserable (apart from losing a bundle of dough, but that ain't gonna happen) is for the team to lose. So that's what I'm rooting for.

Tearing down the real Yankee Stadium for purely mercenary reasons is, to me, unforgivable.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Administrator

I was hoping they were going to turn it into a kids park. Would be quite fitting but I haven't heard what they are going to do with the property. It does stink to tear it down but time goes by and things change. Could have been worse... they could have moved to Manhattan. Just staying up there is a feat in itself.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: D. Bergin

Maybe if I threaten to move to Jersey I can get the taxpayers to subsidize my mortgage for me.

Then I'll finally be able to afford those Yankee tickets. wink.gif

Old 04-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Dorskind

We often wonder how grown men (and women) can hate a baseball team. You can hate a serial killer
or a terrorist or even a left wing Commie Journalist like Rachel or Keith...but hating a baseball team
seems to be a bit above and beyond.

We have been life long Yankee fans since we were 5 years old. In that time the Yankees have won ten world
series and provided us with thousands of hours of joy and countless memories.

We have bonded at Yankee games, made great friendships; won major multi-million dollar clients; and even had
a few romantic moments.

Whether it was the Mick, Yogi, Moose, Whitey, Ron, Bobby, Derek Casey, Ralph or Joe...they all did their best. Money aside
the fans came first. They taught us the importance of winning.

Whilst the Steinbreners were aggressive in their prices (our tickets have gone up 1200% in the past 6 years), they have invested
in the team; they do making winning the priority and they are certainly the most famous sports team in history.

The Yankees have always been the object of jealously and envy...but they have also been a symbol for elegance and grace on the field
and unending commitment to excellence.

We are disappointed that the Nutty Associate Professor puts so much energy into hating the Yankees. Perhaps, when he is gone to that" classroom
in the sky" Robert Edward Auctions will have a special section in their Spring 20-- catalog- "The Yankee Hater Collection." That, indeed, would
be true American Justice.

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Old 04-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brock

Dave,
It's being turned into acouple baseball and softball field's.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Damn capitalist pigs! The owners of a baseball business actually want to make money! Sons of bitches....

Old 04-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Administrator

I don't hate Rachel or Keith..seem like decent people to me. happy.gif

Old 04-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Stay on target.

NO POLITICS!!

Old 04-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Not even with a smiley face attached?

Old 04-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Administrator

ESPECIALLY WITH A SMILEY FACE ATTACHED!

happy.gif

Old 04-29-2009, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Tough crowd!

Old 04-29-2009, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Did I see a reference to Group sex?

Old 04-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Administrator

As long as we stay away from going further in depth on Bruce's "romantic moments" at the Stadium I think we'll be OK here.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Dave,
Don't read too much into it...it was a romantic moment with an extremely rare e126 American Caramel in PSA 8. And don't worry...everything was slabbed.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Dorskind, you really are a jerk.

(Oops. I meant to type "joke." But, what the hell. We all make mistakes.)

"Multi-million dollar clients" my ass. Hell, you don't even have an office.

"thousands of hours of joy and countless memories"? That's what a family provides. Of course that's something you wouldn't know.

"We have bonded at Yankee games... and even had a few romantic moments." With whom? Five-fingered Mary?

Old 04-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Bruce,

You seem to have a shallow understanding of the word "hate", especially considering that, less than 2 weeks ago you were emailing me death threats.

Buy a mirror blowhard.

Edited to add: Dorskind romantic moments at the old Stadium are reason enough to tear it down.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Administrator

I was wondering about those romantic moments too...are the Yankees still letting fans make out in the back of the bleachers?

Old 04-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael Steele

Hey go Red Sox happy.gif

I had to get that in on this thread but you have to respect that the Bombers are trying and will continue to try just like the Sox did for 86 years.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Administrator

"Did I see a reference to Group sex?"

LOL!

Old 04-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Please return this discussion to politics ASAP.

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Wow it worked! We got Dan to let us talk politics. Who wants to start?

Old 04-29-2009, 04:52 PM
Administrator

I'm having a hard time posting. I have a massive headache from these images and I just threw up in my mouth, (not a little). It's a nasty direction this thread has taken.

Edited to remove reference to Swine Flu so Barry can make funny!

Old 04-29-2009, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

Your choice guys, which direction do we go now?
Bruce talking about his romantic life at Yankee Stadium (I am picturing George Costanza and Susan Ross, oy vey)or political talk?
What a choice you have forced us to make Dan.
==

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 04-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Jim- I was going to tell a Swine flu joke but now I can't...you stole my punch line.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Barry,

I've cleared the way for you.

You're up!

Old 04-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Administrator

So I watched Rachel Maddow last night and I woke up this morning with a bad case of Swine flu...boy, she is dangerous.

Was it worth it?

Old 04-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Dorskind

The Nutty Professor's sick and distorted mind is at work again.

We have in fact taken very lucrative clients to the Yankee
games. If the failed physics professor cares to put up wager and investigate
we will be happy to bet him. Otherwise
he should keep his inane comments to himself.

As for hours of joy, we could think of no greater joy than that the Yankees
have given us except when a certain obituary crosses our desk.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Bruce- a lot of images of death in your posts...very dark indeed.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay w

"As for hours of joy, we could think of no greater joy than that the Yankees
have given us except when a certain obituary crosses our desk"

Wow!
just hope this was written in jest, if not get some professional help.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Well this is usually the time I jump in to defend Bruce not because he is right or because down deep he really is a good guy. I could care less what kind of a guy he is. What he does do is consistently posts the most interesting posts on Net 54 and alone is reason enough to check the board from time to time.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

comedy could not be written. This is great...

Old 04-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Administrator

This thread will keep everybody entertained while they plan and execute their bids for tonight's auction.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Would someone please forward this thread to O'Keefe? He hasn't had a good column on Bruce since October.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

[linked image]

Old 04-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Administrator

"As for hours of joy, we could think of no greater joy than that the Yankees have given us except when a certain obituary crosses our desk."

Ya know, Bruce, perhaps you'll get your wish. Years ago my (and my wonderful wife's, of course) wedding announcement was written up the Sunday New York Times. Who knows? Maybe, when the time comes, my obit will make the Times, too.

One thing's for damn sure, though.

Yours won't.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Administrator

This thread is truly hilarious.

I'm considerably younger than both David and Bruce so I fully expect to be around when both of them reach their heavenly reward. Can we take action on the obit challenge? And no, paid obits don't count!

Old 04-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby I.

Ticket prices totally ridiculous. Cutting those prices 25% would not have increased sales at all. Just think about it though if you have sold 1/2 your $1000 seats or cut the price to $500 and sell all the tickets you bring in the same amount of revenue (assuming you refund those who paid the higher prices initially). So essentially the only thing they've accomplished is filling the seats. I would be po'd regardless if i paid higher and now get seats i don't want for free or that they tried to take advantage of me to start with. Either way its a total cluster f.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Administrator

You can "hold the money," so to speak, Jeff.

Just try and let me know what happened.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

The greatest joy he has ever had is the Yankees (that is sad) and he hopes for the death of a poster on this board (that is more sad),,,, wow, sounds like a perfect candidate for that HBO shrink show.
You used to make me chortle Bruce, but you have taken a turn for the worse on this thread.
===

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 04-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Jeff,
Which of the Bruces would have to pass in order to win your challenge...all of them or just one?