NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Paul

Default Lost passion, hope it comes back

For the past year or so, I've been steadily losing interest in the hobby. However, I can feel deep inside that it's still there. Sold a large chunk of my collection to move back to be near my parents. Been buying here and there, but passing up cards I normally would have bid like crazy for. The diminished passion seems to have started when my father became ill. Well, he died this morning after a long battle with colon cancer. I feel devastated, but at the same time some relief. I'm sorry to bring this up, but I feel I have some friends here. I know I haven't contributed as much as most of you, but I enjoy this site. I hope the passion comes back, & I think it will, but not sure. My father would probably be still alive & well today if he would have had a regular colonoscopy exam. Please don't shy away from this part of your health exams. Sincerely, Paul

Last edited by deadballpaul; 06-11-2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Paul

Posted in the wrong section. My heads not on strait right now.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:55 PM
George E.

I'm sorry to hear of your dad's illness and death, Paul. May the Lord be with you and comfort you in your time of sorrow.

George
Old 06-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Brian T.

So sorry to hear of your loss. Hobbies like this are a distraction and an escape from the real world. Many times that is exactly what we need; however, it sounds like you took time away from it for something that was far more important. Good move. You wouldn't be able to replace that time. I'm sure the time you spent with him was priceless. Reflect on that time favorably and be sure now to take some time to take care of yourself and your mom. The hobby will always be there if and when you want to return to it. In the meantime, take care of yourself. Thank you for sharing your story. You have my condolences.

Brian

Last edited by terjung; 06-11-2011 at 02:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Brad Green

Paul: I'm sorry for your loss... I loss my dad in 1991 to cancer.... It's an awful thing.... Hopefully they can find a cure for it some day....
Old 06-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Sorry for your loss Paul, and like Brian said, cards can be a good distraction from the hardships of life.

Last edited by Bicem; 06-11-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:51 PM
John Spano

Best to you Paul. Sorry for your loss.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:54 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Sorry to hear about your dad. If you think of him often and miss him like crazy, that's because he was a good one and you were a lucky man to have him. I miss my dad a lot, but most of all during football season. We used to go to games together. He tolerated pro and college but dearly loved the Wayne Pioneers, our local high school team.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:24 PM

Paul

I am sorry for your loss.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:25 PM

Sorry to hear the news of you fathers passing Paul. Very sad to hear.

Like mentioned above, the hobby is always around when you want it back. Take care of what needs to be taken care of and if the urge comes back jump in.

Take care,
Bob
Old 06-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Bob Pomilla

My condolences, Paul. Had an uncle who died from the same miserable disease. Good thoughts go out to you.

And yes, cards are a distraction and even a solace, at times.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Michael S

Paul,

Sorry to hear of your lose. You made the right decision (IMO) to be closer and spend more time with your folks. With time, I am hopeful your passion will come back strong. Take care.

Regards
Michael
Old 06-11-2011, 03:52 PM

My condolences on your loss Paul.
JimB
Old 06-11-2011, 04:18 PM

Default Sorry for your loss

Paul,

So sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Patrick
Old 06-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Danny Smith

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Danny
Old 06-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Bill Hedin

Default My best wishes and prayers to you & your family

Paul, my best wishes to you and your family during this difficult time. You do have friends here and I'm proud to be one of them. You are in my prayers. Hang in there my friend.
Bill Hedin
Old 06-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Barry Sloate

Paul,
My condolences to you and your family...and I had a colonoscopy earlier this year. If you are 50 years old, it is very important to have one.

Last edited by barrysloate; 06-11-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Jimmy

Default Lost passion, hope it comes back

I am very sorry to hear about your loss, God Bless you and your family. The hobby will still be there in good times and bad when you are ready to come back. I always find a way to make time for it because it's good to stay focused on something to keep your mind off of things.

Jimmy
Old 06-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Thankfully you made good memories with him Paul. Too many of us, wish we had the chance to say goodbye. Stay tough, Steve
Old 06-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Tony N.

Default Paul

My deepest condolences to you and your family during this difficult time. Hopefully you will return to this great hobby.

Not to turn this into a medical thread, but I went for a colonosopy 4 years ago, at the age of 24. They found out I had celiac disease, not colon cancer - thank god. The procedure is a piece of cake, worst part is the Gatorade prep the day before.

Hang in there Paul,

Tony
Old 06-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Sorry for your loss too. Really, baseball cards should have zero priority or low passion right now. I would say step away for a few months and then re-evaluate your goals. For me it ended up in non-sports though I still hang aroung the baseball side.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Scott

Paul. you take the time to grieve and remember the happy times w your dad. Last October. my dad was diagnosed w stage four cancer in several spots, and was gone November 16. I hadn't seen him since he got remarried in June 09, as he lived down south and I couldn't afford the visit.

The point for my ramble is , that at times like these, TRY and think of the good times and the memories you will always have. When the time is right, the hobby may come back for you, but your friends/family on here and otherwise, will always be there for you.

Remember this .."IM never gonna lose your precious gift, it will always be that way, and I know Im gonna find, my own piece of mind someday".

Your dad is at Peace and out of pain, as is my dad. May God be with you in this time and my condolences to you , your family, friends and everyone affected by this loss.

Scott Roberts.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:54 PM

Default Paul Always Treasure the Memories

Paul, Sorry to hear of your family's loss. Always treasure the great memories that you had with your father. I'm sure that if baseball and baseball cards had anything to do with some of those memories, your passion for collecting will return someday. I have a 62 Topps set that I am building in memory of my grandfather who gave me a shoebox full of 62s when I was younger before he passed away. When I get down or think of him, I always go back to that set and work on it a little more.
God Bless,
Tim Kindler
Old 06-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Bilko Glasier

My deepest condolences to you and your family Paul.

from Bilko
Old 06-11-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
My father would probably be still alive & well today if he would have had a regular colonoscopy exam. Please don't shy away from this part of your health exams. Sincerely, Paul
The fact that you bring this up (ie. offering helpful advice to others) during your time of sorrow says a lot about your character, and obviously your Dad raised a good person. My condolences to you and your family. Maybe one day your passion for the hobby will return, as it has happened for so many.

Last edited by CW; 06-11-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Clayton

Paul- I also want to say that I am sorry for your loss, please hang in there. Your passion for cards will come back when the time is right. Wishing you the best-

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 06-11-2011, 10:07 PM
J.O.N

Take your time with things Paul. Your family is more important. May God give you and your family peace.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Joe M.

Sorry about your loss. My Dad died in 1987 of Lung Cancer. He taught me all about baseball, I left a baseball with him at thr funeral home. I was able to take him to a World Series game in Detroit in 1984, it was great.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 06-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Dan Bretta

Paul, so sorry for your loss..I lost my dad 20 years ago to cancer...not a day goes by that I don't think of him. I moved back home when we found out my Dad had cancer..I will never regret spending those last months with him.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:03 PM

Paul, I'm sorry to hear of your father's passing and offer my condolences to you and your family. I think your advice about exam is a well heeded advice for us all.

Ricky Y
Old 06-12-2011, 12:54 AM
jason w.

My condolences, Paul. I lost my Dad to lung cancer two years ago. Funny thing is, it is a key factor in my getting back into the hobby. My Dad got me into it in the late 80's. Once I hit high school, I gave it up, but he kept picking up cards here and there. He never had a lot of money, so he'd collect low grade cards from the 50s -- his heroes as a kid. At one point, he picked up a heavily creased 56 Ted Williams. I always loved the card. About 6 months before he died, he gave me that Ted Williams. I've kept it in my key/wallet/phone area every since. As soon as my 9 year old got over pokemon and started collecting, I got back in and started building a 56 set. I miss my Dad, and collecting has been a nice way to remember him and connect with my son at the same time.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:43 AM
Paul

Default Thank You

Thank you for all the kind words. My father was a great dad, friend, & I always enjoyed watching & talking baseball with him. Please enjoy every day. Thank you & love to all. Sincerely, Paul
Old 06-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Lost passion, hope it comes back

My deepest sympathy to you, Paul. And thanks for the reminder on the colonoscopy. It's time to schedule mine.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Johnny S

God Bless you and your family.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:01 AM

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:15 PM

Default Passion

Paul,

So sorry to hear about your loss. My sincere condolences to you & your family.

MWheat
Old 06-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Adam Goldenberg

I lost both my grandparents who raised me in 1989. My grandmother started me in this crazy hobby with her love of the Dodgers and the Browns. Part of my continuing this path is the encouragement and memories we shared looking at 1956 Topps Dodger cards. Part of a graduation present.

Stay positive and keep your faith in tact.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default my condolences too,,,,

Hi Paul
My condolences on your loss too. Keep the faith my friend. If collecting can help take your mind off of it a little bit then there is nothing wrong with that. You will always have your dad as long as you have the memories. warm regards
Old 06-12-2011, 12:51 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Aloha! I am sorry for the loss of your father. I too have lost enthusiasm for the hobby. I have collected coins, stamps, rock posters,toys etc etc and cards. As I grow older they have become less important to me. I don't even follow baseball anymore...and to tell the truth I always liked the cards more than the game itself. I am a collector at heart but since the glut of the 80's and 90's.....graded cards....and hoards of ripoff artists. I quit. I am turning my collection over to my family and will now pursue something else. perhaps bottle caps or marbles or cigar bands....what ever....I despise what this hobby has become. I think you are all fine people on this board and I will enjoy lurking here on occasion. Mahalo, Dave.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Barry Arnold

Default paul

please accept my deepest sympathy and condolences.
i was very moved at the depth and care in your post.
great father and great son.

my prayers are with you and your family,

barry
Old 06-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Clint

I'm very sorry to hear about the passing of your father Paul. My mother passed away 4 years ago and it really put things into perspective. It really makes you realize how important your loved ones are in your life. I lost the passion for many of my hobbies but gained a greater passion for my family and friends. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Clint
Old 06-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Daryl

Paul, my grandfather left this world because of the same disease. May God bless and comfort you and your family.

Matthew 5:4
Old 06-12-2011, 10:06 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Paul, I'm sorry for the loss of your Dad. My Pop died almost 2 years ago and he was the one guy I talked baseball with. We would talk a few times a week on the phone and most of our conversations revolved about baseball and it's history and characters. We'd try to out-trivia one another and some of the funniest memories I have is him calling me at work, not saying hello or anything, but firing what he thought was an impossible baseball history trivia question. More often than not I'd get it right and he'd mutter a swearword and slam the phone down! Still brings a smile to my face thinking abot it... When he died, I lost all interest in the game and more importantly, its history. After about 6 months I started writing and illustrating a blog where I draw and write about the kind of players I used to talk to my Pop about. It doesn't bring the guy back, but at least in a small way I feel like I still talk to him, however one-side.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:40 AM
Justin Cur.ze

Paul, sorry to hear that. I lost my dad two years ago and I'm 31 years old. It doesn't surprise me that there may be a correlation between his illness and your disinterest, especially if your dad was the one who got you interested in baseball. You might be placing the two in the same mental category.

There are a lot more important things in life than this hobby, but it'll be there to make you feel good again if / when you return.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Bruce Babcock

Paul, I'm sorry for your loss. My father-in-law died of the same disease.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:08 PM

Default Paul

Paul,

very sorry to hear of your loss......God Bless....
Peace

Johnny
Old 06-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Paul

My father's service was yesterday. I want to thank all of you, for your kindness & support. Many of you shared the loss of your own parents & loved ones. I'm sorry for your losses, & thank you for sharing. Your kindness really did help. Sincerely, Paul

Last edited by deadballpaul; 06-16-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Scott

Paul:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dovecross.jpg (26.7 KB, 155 views)
Old 06-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Sorry for your loss, Paul. I'd urge you not to make any decisions about your life or hobbies while you are grieving. Let time give you some perspective and you may find the hobby to be a source of diversion and fun once again.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-16-2011, 09:27 PM
Richard Cline

Paul,

My condolences as well. The memories of your father will be with you always and if you choose to continue in the hobby, perhaps it will be in remembrance of him.

My best, RC