NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-08-2024, 06:52 PM

Default More on ebay's mysterious authentication program

One week ago, I won a 5"x7" Kashin premium on ebay. It is in a PSA holder. Because it cost over $250, I knew the seller was required to send this graded card to ebay's authenticator. Silly, but fine. Well, today I received an email from ebay saying that they could not authenticate the card. According to ebay, the card was "miscategorized" by the seller. But the seller listed the card under Trading Cards / Singles, which seems like the right category to me. This got me wondering what ebay means by "miscategorized". There was no explanation in the email. Does ebay think it's not a card?

Thankfully, ebay is still sending the card to me. They actually apologized for not returning the card to the seller, explaining that the ebay guarantee does not apply to miscategorized items. While I'm glad that I'm getting the card, this also got me wondering whether sellers could bypass ebay's authentication just by listing a card in the wrong category. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:01 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
... explaining that the ebay guarantee does not apply to miscategorized items. While I'm glad that I'm getting the card, this also got me wondering whether sellers could bypass ebay's authentication just by listing a card in the wrong category. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
Just illustrates the stupidity of their whole system "authentication" system, and the worthlessness of their "guarantee".
Old 04-08-2024, 07:02 PM
pete ullman

yes...it seems ludicrous to have a graded card examined again...BUT...there was WIWAG...and still is it seems. But yes I believe the process can be avoided by choosing proper category or using certain descriptors in the listing.

A friend just bought a $2000 watch on ebay last week. He was quite impressed and pleased with the authentication process!!!
Old 04-08-2024, 07:10 PM

I mentioned this in another thread. An EBAY rep told me over the phone if the card did not have stats on the back(I assume a Post Cereal would pass since stats are on the front) it is a box topper and is not a baseball card.

Last edited by ncinin; 04-08-2024 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:15 PM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Based on a previous messy authenticator experience selling a Dixie lids premium, eBay seemed to want it listed as Vintage Sports Memorabilia.

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.
Old 04-08-2024, 08:03 PM

So Old Judges and T206s are box toppers? I haven't seen stats on the back of any of those.
Old 04-08-2024, 09:15 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

For whatever reason, anything that doesn’t look and feel like a standard postwar mainline card seems to give them fits. If it’s bigger or blank backed or unusual in any way, it causes problems, because they take one look and decide it’s not really a card.

And the fact that it’s in a slab that might indicate that it’s a card doesn’t seem to factor into their view on whether or not it’s really a card.

Except that they’re consistently inconsistent in how they approach these. So you never know. Next time they might treat it like a card.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 04-08-2024 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:07 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncinin View Post
I mentioned this in another thread. An EBAY rep told me over the phone if the card did not have stats on the back(I assume a Post Cereal would pass since stats are on the front) it is a box topper and is not a baseball card.
What would they make of this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14521989532...Bk9SR-jX0ZPYYw

Someone removed the die-cut flap off of a 1968 Topps Posters Box, and is now charging $9 Grand for it. I can't imagine anyone thinking it's really a "card" but I guess if someone is willing to shell out $9,000 for it (when the complete box typically goes for $300-$400) more power to them!

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 04-09-2024, 05:42 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
They should go with Burdick's own ACC nomenclature for things like the Post cards: Package Design

Last edited by toppcat; 04-09-2024 at 05:43 AM.
Old 04-09-2024, 06:24 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Sports mem-card-fan shop>trading card single
That’s what my 1916 w unc big head was under
and went thru smooth thru eBay auth
My 1st time buying from it
It is also blank backed
So maybe this helps

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 04-09-2024 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-09-2024, 08:56 AM
�tis J�hns�n

I got this in the mail yesterday. eBay refused to authenticate it because it was "mislabeled".
I'm just happy finally to have it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg (193.3 KB, 333 views)
Old 04-09-2024, 09:40 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default More on ebay's mysterious authentication program

Ostensibly the entire purpose behind the re-authentication of already slabbed items was so that eBay (in their steadfast refusal to ever become category experts themselves) didn’t have to reinvent the wheel and 3rd party grade already 3rd party graded cards…so this makes no sense to me. They are supposed to just be taking them out of the box saying, “Yep, this is a PSA 5 Topps XXX” and putting a stamp of approval on it and re-packaging.

As long as the card is in a reputable slab (PSA, SGC, BGS, CGC…) and the title in form closely matches the title on the flip, what is the problem?

Gotta love eBay. They seem to love going out of their way to make additional headaches for themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 04-09-2024 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:01 AM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Ostensibly the entire purpose behind the re-authentication of already slabbed items was so that eBay (in their steadfast refusal to ever become category experts themselves) didn’t have to reinvent the wheel and 3rd party grade already 3rd party graded cards…so this makes no sense to me. They are supposed to just be taking them out of the box saying, “Yep, this is a PSA 5 Topps XXX” and putting a stamp of approval on it and re-packaging.

As long as the card is in a reputable slab (PSA, SGC, BGS, CGC…) and the title in form closely matches the title on the flip, what is the problem?

Gotta love eBay. They seem to love going out of their way to make additional headaches for themselves.

+1
Yeah they’re getting carried away - if somethings not graded sure check it out ..
For me the one useful thing the program provides is making sure the correct item is in the package
Old 04-09-2024, 11:41 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercan collector View Post
+1
Yeah they’re getting carried away - if somethings not graded sure check it out ..
For me the one useful thing the program provides is making sure the correct item is in the package
Certainly they’re being incredibly particular about what does and doesn’t qualify, which often seems bizarre.

I think the other potential benefit of the AG program is in the case where someone does a fake slab or a reseal job after replacing the contents of the slab with an inferior specimen.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 04-09-2024 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-09-2024, 01:23 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post

John, I personally would not sell an expensive card on ebay without the authentication process. I don't want to take the chance that a buyer will claim I sent him an empty box.

As a buyer, I like it too. I have heard enough stories about Probstein sending out empty boxes that I wouldn't want to be on that end of it either.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2024, 03:06 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
John, I personally would not sell an expensive card on ebay without the authentication process. I don't want to take the chance that a buyer will claim I sent him an empty box.

As a buyer, I like it too. I have heard enough stories about Probstein sending out empty boxes that I wouldn't want to be on that end of it either.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Oh I get WHY they do it, I was just saying what is the point in rejecting an obviously authentic card graded correctly in a slab, just because the listing category was wrong or because of some other minor detail like that.

Yes, the whole problem of eBay getting burned too many times because dishonest sellers were either sending out empty envelopes or fakes or pulling various switcheroo chicanery - is sad. I hate the delay of it all and extra days shipping out / extra days waiting on stuff you've bought - but I do get it.
Old 04-09-2024, 07:31 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
I guess Red Man tobacco cards would fail this odd test.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:36 AM
Michael C

My son bought a $260 modern basketball card on ebay described as Gem Mint.

No flaws were seen in the photos and the seller sent a message saying that the card had no flaws.

Luckily the card was over the $250 amount because it failed authentication.

The seller didn't know why as he said it was Gem Mint. He told my son it was because he threw some other cards in the package for free that were not in the listing.

My son communicated with ebay and they told him the reason was there were massive indents on the card and it was not close to GEM MINT.

I've been very skeptical about the whole ebay authentication - but in this case it saved him $260. So he is grateful.
Old 04-22-2024, 06:43 PM
Jer.em.ey

More of the same, I picked up a (PSA) Shonen postcard on Ebay and it was "miscategorized" as a sports trading card so they weren't able to authenticate it. The email does say they are still sending me the item.
Successful BST purchases: npa589, RedlegsFan, Wildfireschulte, AndyG09, Vintageismygame, Ben_Yourg, pencil1974, Leon, bnorth, LuckyLarry, loubrown, cardsnstuff, brianp-beme, gooseman91, ricktmd, and bcookie.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:15 PM

So many issues could be solved with EBay sending a message that there is an issue, what the issue is, and whether you would like to complete the transaction given the "new" information.

The chance of any sketchy things happening with full disclosure and the authentication party completing the shipping is nearly nonexistent at this point.
Old Today, 03:30 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Sweetness. Now they define what a card is. We should have asked them, this debate could have been solved long ago.

Quote: