NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 02:11 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I'm staying!
Old 09-14-2019, 05:26 AM
Joe

Barry sold me my first batch of T206’s many moons ago. One by one the old timers exit the Net. It’s a darn shame.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:35 AM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

I'm leaving the board too.
Gonna go heat up some leftover pizza.
See you back here in a few minutes...
Old 09-14-2019, 06:00 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: I'm Done with Net54

The forum will be a poorer place without Barry.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:17 AM
B.ob L.amb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
chase the pickle juice with whiskey. It's amazing.
Pickle shots are big around these parts!
Old 09-14-2019, 09:33 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by basesareempty View Post
Pickle shots are big around these parts!
I lost my pickle shot v-card a couple weekends ago. I wish I still had the card instead of tasting that crap...

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 09-14-2019, 10:13 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Of course Barry is welcome back if he chooses to return. A valuable member.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:23 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

As much as I like Barry and hope he reconsiders leaving, I didn't see anything in that watercooler post that was so egregious that it would make me want to leave the boards forever. Perhaps the comment didn't hit home with me like it did with Barry, but it's just a comment on a message board and I can walk away from it and cool off. I hope he does the same and after he cools off he decides to come back to the board. No harm no foul Barry, you're welcome back any time.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 09-14-2019, 11:01 AM

Default Staying...

...I'm staying despite the dramas and sideshows , etc. , only because every once in a while someone posts a scan of a card or postcard or photo or bit of memorabilia of my favorite era old baseball players. I'll start today with these. The Burke postcard Chuck Klein was a short print made only because he was the National League MVP ; the original owner told me it was sold at the All Star Game ; ..And Joe was added to the 1937-39 Orcajo Cincinnati Reds postcard set in time for the '39 World Series. ; brilliant timing and marketing. I believe the Reds lost. Badly.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:18 AM
Banned

don’t let the terrorists win barry.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
As much as I like Barry and hope he reconsiders leaving, I didn't see anything in that watercooler post that was so egregious that it would make me want to leave the boards forever. Perhaps the comment didn't hit home with me like it did with Barry, but it's just a comment on a message board and I can walk away from it and cool off. I hope he does the same and after he cools off he decides to come back to the board. No harm no foul Barry, you're welcome back any time.
+1
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:28 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:

There are a couple of who I consider dumbasses at Net54, especially when it comes to certain subjects. But I just roll my eyes, and close the thread if need be, and they don't cause any harm to me. They likely give insight and good contributions on other topics in other threads and may perfectly upstanding citizens and nice guys away from the keyboard.

As with most, I don't need to hear anyone's political opinions or conspiracy theories at a baseball card site-- though saying you bought Obama's or Reagan's autograph because you think he was a great and your favorite President is fine by me.

Last edited by drcy; 09-14-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:05 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
+1
+2

I'm not even sure what Barry was most upset about: What the politician said, or having a couple forum members remind us of what she said. In any case, I think it was an over-reaction, but whatever, it's his decision.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:05 PM
Mike Biggans

I’ve grown weary myself of both sides of politics. There is so much outrage and finger pointing in both sides that it has become exhausting.

I don’t often post on here, but I read knowledgeable posts about cards constantly (and to occasionally buy something cool).

Cards, and the like, are my escape from real world BS. On Net54, as well as on my Twitter, I avoid anything political at all costs.

If I see anything that has certain topics, I just block it or walk away. I think we all need to do that a little more and enjoy and appreciate our fellowship & knowledge.

We have a brotherhood here, and for good or for bad, we are all in this together. All of this divisiveness is unnecessary.

Like the one fella said earlier, can’t we just talk about cards. I’ll add, rather than about each other?

I love this board, but I’ll avoid the areas and posts that aren’t about cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2019, 12:30 PM
Fred

Quote:
I don't think it was "that" post in particular, it's a culmination of crud, it was like the straw that broke the camel's back.

I just hope that if/when he comes back, nobody gives him a rash of shit because he came back. I rarely go into shit for brains mode, but I will if that occurs.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:45 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Goodbye and good riddance!

Just because a political figure made the comment does not make it a political comment. It was a stupid and insensitive comment to make no matter who said it. If it were some actor, sports star, celebrity or other notable figure that had made the comment that I quoted we wouldn't even be having this discussion and it wouldn't be considered political. But Because Ilhan Omar made the comment, you want to call it political. You're the dumbass!

Edited to add: We use phrases like "Never Forget" but if we don't condemn comments like hers (again regardless of who said it), then we have forgotten.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-14-2019, 01:12 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I think it's ironic that Barry's thread has drawn more attention to the 9/11 thread than it would've received if he had said nothing and left the forum quietly instead. I didn't see anything in the 9/11 thread that irked me to the point of leaving the forum, but maybe we just have different thresholds. When I see a member continually bring up politics on here, I put them on my ignore list and leave it at that (and to Cliff's point in post #11, I do it regardless of whether or not I agree with the member's politics; if I wanted to talk politics, there are a couple dozen places I would come before here. I appreciate that Leon runs this board the way he does).
Old 09-14-2019, 01:50 PM
Curt

I found this mildly funny. If idiots are everywhere, then there are certainly going to be some here anyway, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
There are idiots everywhere, I don't need to come here to find them.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:32 PM
Steve Birmingham

I don't know Barry personally, but his being here was something that made me think this list was pretty good, since I knew of him from so many ads years ago.
It's sad that he's leaving.

There are some in this thread that should be glad Leon is in charge of the ban hammer and not me....
Old 09-14-2019, 03:00 PM
Albert Bee

Default post

Come on..Stay !
Old 09-14-2019, 03:52 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I’ll miss Barry, but I don’t think David’s post was out of line, certainly not deserving a suspension.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:42 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I’ll miss Barry, but I don’t think David’s post was out of line, certainly not deserving a suspension.
He already had 2 infractions; you can see if you click on his profile... Then he made that post (3rd time) and got booted. Just how many times am I supposed to babysit and reprimand a member? (which is done seldom in the first place)
Old 09-14-2019, 05:48 PM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

I like Ty Cobb! And of course Wagner.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:04 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
+2

I'm not even sure what Barry was most upset about: What the politician said, or having a couple forum members remind us of what she said. In any case, I think it was an over-reaction, but whatever, it's his decision.
People who politicize 9/11 on 9/11 need to reassess their priorities. IMO.

Last edited by jhs5120; 09-14-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:11 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
People who politicize 9/11 on 9/11 need to reassess their priorities. IMO.
+1 -or, if you prefer, IMO2

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-14-2019, 06:39 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

I once posted a political comment here and got a infraction. Didn't know I couldn't post political comments at the time. But rules are rules, follow the rules here or get booted. That simple.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:55 PM
je.sse @rnot

Whether or not David's comment was political is debatable. But it certainly was in poor taste given the somber tone of the post and the significance of 9/11. Especially since the member who made the post was there that day.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:57 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I don't know Barry personally, but his being here was something that made me think this list was pretty good, since I knew of him from so many ads years ago.
It's sad that he's leaving.

There are some in this thread that should be glad Leon is in charge of the ban hammer and not me....
I try to contribute as much as I can.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:12 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Whether or not David's comment was political is debatable. But it certainly was in poor taste given the somber tone of the post and the significance of 9/11. Especially since the member who made the post was there that day.
But what should he be irked at?? What Ilhan Omar said or the fact the David reminded him of what she said?? Like I said, thousands of people lost their lives that day. What she said diminished the lives of the people that lost their lives that day. It was uncalled for.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:20 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default +1

It’s a cumulative effect....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
He already had 2 infractions; you can see if you click on his profile... Then he made that post (3rd time) and got booted. Just how many times am I supposed to babysit and reprimand a member? (which is done seldom in the first place)
Old 09-14-2019, 07:26 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
But what should he be irked at?? What Ilhan Omar said or the fact the David reminded him of what she said?? Like I said, thousands of people lost their lives that day. What she said diminished the lives of the people that lost their lives that day. It was uncalled for.
I don't disagree with anything you, David, or Irv said. I just don't feel this site is the right place for that discussion. And it did not belong on a thread about a member sharing what he witnessed on 9/11.

I'm also assuming there is more going on with Barry than this one comment. Otherwise it would be quite an over reaction.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:06 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
People should stop using the victims of 9/11 for their political purposes Bobby - especially on this forum. This isn't hard.

Last edited by jhs5120; 09-14-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:18 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Pls come back Barry!
Old 09-14-2019, 09:11 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

You've got to remember, these are just simple collectors. The common clay of the hobby. You know...morons.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-14-2019, 09:53 PM
Dave Foster

Oh, Christ, that's funny.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:34 PM
Paul Lehr

I’m always baffled by the dramatic exits.
If you don’t want to be part of something just delete your account and move along. Stating your reasons for leaving and putting on a production does nothing positive for anyone. It’s just baseball cards.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:38 PM
Paul Lehr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
barry go across the street to LTS. i hear you will fit right in there and they are hurting for members.
How dare you mention the chosen ones.:
Old 09-15-2019, 05:31 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHR View Post
How dare you mention the chosen ones.:
The chosen ones sure talk a lot. I thought there was a cone of silence or something.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:39 AM
John Wondowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
The chosen ones sure talk a lot. I thought there was a cone of silence or something.
Another group I've been thrown out of....................
Old 09-15-2019, 05:43 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondo View Post
Must not be too great a group. I have never heard of them. What are they? Troublemakers that have been kicked off various forums?
Old 09-15-2019, 05:48 AM
Albert Bee

Default post

where is this 9 11 post that was upsetting ?
Old 09-15-2019, 05:58 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post
where is this 9 11 post that was upsetting ?
In the watercooler section.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:52 AM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Quote:
Must not be too great a group. I have never heard of them. What are they? Troublemakers that have been kicked off various forums?
Worse. They are the Louisville Thoroughbred Society. Craven, maniacal horse racing enthusiasts. Don’t tell anyone I told you!

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 09-15-2019, 06:54 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
There's a new offshoot, maybe they'll take you in?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:39 AM
John Wondowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Hahaha hahaha. You funny man! 🤣
Old 09-15-2019, 07:45 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Hahaha hahaha. You funny man! ��
Bridge burned, eh?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:56 AM
John Wondowski

Quote:
Quote:
Bridge burned, eh?
Not at all. I just am happy with the star on my belly.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:16 AM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default No religion too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
Oh, Christ, that's funny.
And now the discussion has turned from politics to religion. Time to shut down this thread
Old 09-15-2019, 12:02 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

You've got to remember, these are just simple collectors. The common clay of the hobby. You know...morons.
This is gold.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 09-15-2019, 12:05 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
This is gold.
Welcome to the T-(206)party

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Closed Thread