NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 09-11-2019, 01:18 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default Scratch on Ryan Diamond Icons Auto?

Hi guys. I do mostly vintage, but have ventured into new cards here lately to get legit some autos of older players I’ve always wanted.

Er, how concerned should I be about this scratch? It’s virtually invisible from the outside if the card is in a holder and sleeve, and visible in the pic like I took only after some twisting around in the light, and holding your mouth just right. It’s really nowhere near as bad as the pic makes it look. I had already left the seller positive feedback. I can go rounds with you on vintage grading, but know next to nothing about how this would be treated if submitted. Does it get bumped like to a 9 or an 8 if that is the only thing wrong, or would it be more severe downgrade like to a 6? I’m considering asking the seller if I can return it, but in reality I am not concerned so much about the grade, (I would not be sending it in) and did just want the card for the auto, so not sure what my next move should be. It is a great looking card otherwise.

Thanks,
-John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 09-11-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:27 PM
Stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Hi guys. I do mostly vintage, but have ventured into new cards here lately to get legit some autos of older players I’ve always wanted.

Er, how concerned should I be about this scratch? It’s virtually invisible from the outside if the card is in a holder and sleeve, and visible in the pic like I took only after some twisting around in the light, and holding your mouth just right. It’s really nowhere near as bad as the pic makes it look. I had already left the seller positive feedback. I can go rounds with you on vintage grading, but know next to nothing about how this would be treated if submitted. Does it get bumped like to a 9 or an 8 if that is the only thing wrong, or would it be more severe downgrade like to a 6? I’m considering asking the seller if I can return it, but in reality I am not concerned so much about the grade, (I would not be sending it in) and did just want the card for the auto, so not sure what my next move should be. It is a great looking card otherwise.

Thanks,
-John

I had a minor surface stain on a buyback auto that dropped surface to "6," resulting in a max grade of 6.5 from Beckett in a similar situation - I would anticipate something similar, though not as drastic since that is REALLY hard to see (so maybe a 7?) BUT it all depends on the grader.

Last edited by Smanzari; 09-11-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:30 PM
J0hn Collin$

7 kinda sucks for a brand new card though. Not really sure what to do...

Old 09-11-2019, 01:40 PM
Stefan

Quote:
7 kinda sucks for a brand new card though. Not really sure what to do...

Understood! I ultimately kept mine as it was SUPER PC (Chipper Buyback RC Auto from Bowman); may be worth following up with the seller
Old 09-11-2019, 05:20 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:

Thanks,
-John

You're right, John. You should ditch this card immediately. Let me send you my address so I can take it off your hands. Seriously though, if you aren't happy with it, don't keep it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 09-11-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:13 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

If I bought that card, I would demand a refund.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:36 PM
Steve Birmingham

Or, how about just leaving it as-is and enjoying the card for what it is, a pretty cool signed Ryan card they made 25 of.

The grading company sticking some random number on it won't change that.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:52 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Or, how about just leaving it as-is and enjoying the card for what it is, a pretty cool signed Ryan card they made 25 of.

The grading company sticking some random number on it won't change that.

I know. I’m torn. I agree with you, but I don’t collect much stuff like this, and I’m kind of bummed right now it’s noticeably less than perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2019, 08:23 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
You're right, John. You should ditch this card immediately. Let me send you my address so I can take it off your hands. Seriously though, if you aren't happy with it, don't keep it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
You know my OCD, man. I sometimes wonder why I keep getting myself in these situations. I should stick with what I know (vintage...) and be content. This type of scratch on a card from the 1960's that was otherwise nice and I wouldn't give it a second thought.