NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-05-2019, 05:42 PM
bcbgcbrcb bcbgcbrcb is offline
Phil Garry
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,200
Default Advice on Modern Rookie Cards 2000-2019

Prior to getting into pre-war card collecting during the early 2000's, I was a long time baseball rookie card collector from 1981-2000. Even to this day, I can flip through just about every card set from that time period and identify every significant rookie card, likely not missing more than a single card per set. Since 2000 though, I completely lost touch with who the rookies were each season and today I decided to make a trip to my local card shop in Orlando and see if I could begin slowly trying to fill in the rookie card gaps over the past 20 years. This change of focus was prompted primarily by my recent "retirement" due to health issues and very little money coming in so it's pretty much impossible for me to continue the pre-war baseball collecting.

As I was at the shop today going through modern boxes of loose cards, I had the latest Beckett in hand and was just overwhelmed at how many different sets/subsets that each card manufacturer is putting out each year these days. I was totally confused trying to look up the cards that I had in my hands to see exactly what sets they came from, eventually just getting frustrated and giving up.

After giving the situation some more thought, I decided that the best way for me to tackle this task would be to pick one major brand/set that was around for pretty much the entire past 20 years and just collect the rookie cards that I am interested in from that brand only. So my question for board members here who have kept up with the modern rookie card craze is "what set would you recommend that I can focus on for the past 20 years and go back and acquire most of the big name rookies. To keep it simple, I really don't want to switch brands/sets each year but would rather stick with one choice for the entire 20 year period.

Any input would be most appreciated and I will wait for any replies to discuss further.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 09-05-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-05-2019, 06:17 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,306
Default

Topps Update would be my choice, the Trout is the most iconic card of the past decade or longer and they are extremely popular every year. Not quite sure what year they started.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trout2.jpg (77.4 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg kershaw.jpg (73.0 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg soto160.jpg (82.4 KB, 226 views)
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-05-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-05-2019, 06:22 PM
Mike D. Mike D. is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: West Greenwich, RI
Posts: 169
Default

Many "true" rookie cards are in Bowman sets, I believe...as they tend to appear from 1 to several years before other RC's.

BTW, I feel you on the post 2000 RC's. I share your affinity for RC's, and Pretty sure I could rattle off every major RC from 1970-1995 or so without much effort.

After that, though, it gets....muddy. Maybe we can compile a "key rookie card from each year" chart somewhere with some crowd-sourcing?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-05-2019, 06:30 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
Many "true" rookie cards are in Bowman sets, I believe...as they tend to appear from 1 to several years before other RC's.

BTW, I feel you on the post 2000 RC's. I share your affinity for RC's, and Pretty sure I could rattle off every major RC from 1970-1995 or so without much effort.

After that, though, it gets....muddy. Maybe we can compile a "key rookie card from each year" chart somewhere with some crowd-sourcing?
The Bowman cards are not considered rookie cards by the current market, because they don't have the official RC logo. That logo now can only be put on a card after a player has appeared in a ML game, I believe. Or maybe it has something to do with being on the opening day roster. I forget. But in any event the same Bowman cards in the 90s would have been considered rookie cards. It's confusing.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-05-2019 at 06:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-05-2019, 06:35 PM
Mike D. Mike D. is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: West Greenwich, RI
Posts: 169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The Bowman cards are not considered rookie cards by the current market, because they don't have the official RC logo. That logo now can only be put on a card after a player has appeared in a ML game, I believe. Or maybe it has something to do with being on the opening day roster. I forget. But in any event the same Bowman cards in the 90s would have been considered rookie cards. It's confusing.
Interesting. I haven't followed 2000's rookies closely in, oh, about 19 years.

What do they call the Bowman's that appear before other RCs? The example I often see is Joey Votto, who's Bowman card pre-dates his next RC by something absurd like 5-6 years.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-05-2019, 06:57 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
Interesting. I haven't followed 2000's rookies closely in, oh, about 19 years.

What do they call the Bowman's that appear before other RCs? The example I often see is Joey Votto, who's Bowman card pre-dates his next RC by something absurd like 5-6 years.
Prospect cards I think.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-05-2019, 07:11 PM
bcbgcbrcb bcbgcbrcb is offline
Phil Garry
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,200
Default

I appreciate all of the input so far, guys. I have to agree that probably the most confusing thing these days is that Beckett designates each player’s rookie card year, I think, based on their appearing in a major league uniform/roster. Thus, many players have “prospect” or “team USA” cards one or more years prior to the official rookie year designation. The same holds true for inserts, refractors, subsets, autos, etc. which do not get the rookie card designation either unless in a major league uniform by that point. So I guess the biggest question is, which is more desirable to own, the “rookie card” or the “earliest card” of the player. They used to be the same but now the waters seem to be very muddy.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 09-05-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-05-2019, 07:34 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
I appreciate all of the input so far, guys. I have to agree that probably the most confusing thing these days is that Beckett designates each player’s rookie card year, I think, based on their appearing in a major league uniform/roster. Thus, many players have “prospect” or “team USA” cards one or more years prior to the official rookie year designation. The same holds true for inserts, refractors, subsets, autos, etc. which do not get the rookie card designation either unless in a major league uniform by that point. So I guess the biggest question is, which is more desirable to own, the “rookie card” or the “earliest card” of the player. They used to be the same but now the waters seem to be very muddy.
I would stick to official rookie cards. I consider the prospect cards to be the equivalent of minor league cards even though they are from a major manufacturer. To me they're the same as, say, the 1992 Upper Deck Minor League Jeter for example.

The real confusion is the absolutely endless variety of cards even within the same sets. There are 10 or more, I think, variations of the Acuna Topps Update alone.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-05-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-05-2019, 07:40 PM
RCMcKenzie's Avatar
RCMcKenzie RCMcKenzie is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,416
Default

Say you want to know what the rookie for Jose Altuve is...type "Jose Altuve RC" into the search box on ebay and sort by highest price first in sold/completed items. 2011 Bowman Sterling is the most expensive, followed by 2010 Bowman Chrome and 2011 Topps Update.


For Alex Bregman it's 2016 Bowman Chrome and down the line something called Topps Heritage.

I only follow the Houston players and have not bought a new card since 1998 Bowman Chrome or something like that. The cards are expensive unless you are talking about an unknown like Framber Valdez or someone like that. Happy collecting. Rob
__________________
Want to buy or trade for T213-1 (Bob Rhoades)
Other Louisiana issues T216 T215 T214 T213 Etc
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-05-2019, 07:55 PM
bcbgcbrcb bcbgcbrcb is offline
Phil Garry
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,200
Default

Are the Bowman and Bowman Chrome usually the exact same set as far as player selection, just higher quality cards for the Chrome, thus, more expensive? Same thing for the Topps and Topps Chrome?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-05-2019, 07:59 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Are the Bowman and Bowman Chrome usually the exact same set as far as player selection, just higher quality cards for the Chrome, thus, more expensive? Same thing for the Topps and Topps Chrome?
Topps Chrome don't carry a premium as far as I know. I think they are some of the cheaper cards, for example of Acuna. Not like the old Bowman and Bowman Chrome of the 90s. I also think for Topps they are now different sets, but not totally sure. But I have seen a Topps Chrome Acuna that doesn't have a parallel in Topps.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-05-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-05-2019, 08:02 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Say you want to know what the rookie for Jose Altuve is...type "Jose Altuve RC" into the search box on ebay and sort by highest price first in sold/completed items. 2011 Bowman Sterling is the most expensive, followed by 2010 Bowman Chrome and 2011 Topps Update.


For Alex Bregman it's 2016 Bowman Chrome and down the line something called Topps Heritage.

I only follow the Houston players and have not bought a new card since 1998 Bowman Chrome or something like that. The cards are expensive unless you are talking about an unknown like Framber Valdez or someone like that. Happy collecting. Rob
Despite the Beckett holder, I think the Sterling Altuve is a nice card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg altuve.jpg (63.3 KB, 217 views)
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-05-2019, 08:15 PM
RCMcKenzie's Avatar
RCMcKenzie RCMcKenzie is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,416
Default

I agree. I don't care much for the 'chest-bump' Topps Update Altuve one, but you can find his base card for less than $50. I saw a Trout base card in psa 7 sell for $350 recently.

The experts on this stuff are on the Blowout Board. They have threads like "Carlos Correa pick-ups" where they show all their auto-patch limited # cards. It's all very confusing to me. It's really a different hobby than what I'm doing on here.
__________________
Want to buy or trade for T213-1 (Bob Rhoades)
Other Louisiana issues T216 T215 T214 T213 Etc
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-05-2019, 08:26 PM
bcbgcbrcb bcbgcbrcb is offline
Phil Garry
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,200
Default

Agreed, Rob. Itís become more like a lottery chance than chipping away at a complete set, player collection, etc.

When all is said and done, Iím not sure that I am going to want to get into this modern stuff but asking questions is the best way for me to find out.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-05-2019, 08:34 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Agreed, Rob. It’s become more like a lottery chance than chipping away at a complete set, player collection, etc.

When all is said and done, I’m not sure that I am going to want to get into this modern stuff but asking questions is the best way for me to find out.
For the most part I just buy base cards of rookies I want, or in a couple of cases the most basic variation. if I want to put a little more at risk You can easily navigate it. Another nice option for a vintage look just buy the Heritage base cards.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-05-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-05-2019, 09:03 PM
RCMcKenzie's Avatar
RCMcKenzie RCMcKenzie is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,416
Default

Modern is not where I would like to spend all of my hobby money, but Peter may have talked me into buying an Altuve. Jose is on pace, or ahead of Rose's all-time hit pace. Always looking for value.

Speaking of bargains...how's this one for $10 shipped. I collect all things Astros and couldn't let this one go...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg topps70astrosr.jpg (77.8 KB, 209 views)
__________________
Want to buy or trade for T213-1 (Bob Rhoades)
Other Louisiana issues T216 T215 T214 T213 Etc
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-05-2019, 11:22 PM
MrPosadas's Avatar
MrPosadas MrPosadas is offline
Ryan Inns
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 19
Default Advice on Modern Rookie Cards 2000-2019

I collect modern rookies as well as older stuff but donít get caught up in the multitude of card variations. I usually hunt down their first standard card and leave the other cards alone. PSA has a future HOF rookie set list that includes Bowman Best, Topps Chrome, and Upper Deck SP rookie cards but I donít use it to guide my collection because I am happy collecting base rookie cards. It was the proliferation and manufactured scarcity that pushed me away from collecting in the 90s and when I got back into it I chose to focus only on base cards to keep my sanity.

Last edited by MrPosadas; 09-05-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-06-2019, 09:13 AM
ALR-bishop ALR-bishop is offline
Al Richter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 6,220
Default

For Topps, does base include the Update/Traded set ? That discussion has popped up in threads on set runs

The Cardinals gave up Jerry Ruess to get Scipio. It might have worked out well for the Cards but for Johnny Bench

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 09-06-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-06-2019, 12:22 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
For Topps, does base include the Update/Traded set ? That discussion has popped up in threads on set runs

The Cardinals gave up Jerry Ruess to get Scipio. It might have worked out well for the Cards but for Johnny Bench
I was using base to differentiate from all the parallels and variations, not from a set completion pov.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-06-2019, 01:47 PM
ALR-bishop ALR-bishop is offline
Al Richter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 6,220
Default

My Q was really to Ryan's post. Since 1994 I am just a base collector myself, but for Topps I include any Traded/ Update set. There are a few years when there was no Traded/Update sets. Based on prior threads many set collectors would not include such sets as base, but rather a new separate set. Like the definition of a variation there is no single right answer I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-06-2019, 04:30 PM
chalupacollects chalupacollects is offline
Ti.m H.
Tim Hu,nt
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The Bowman cards are not considered rookie cards by the current market, because they don't have the official RC logo. That logo now can only be put on a card after a player has appeared in a ML game, I believe. Or maybe it has something to do with being on the opening day roster. I forget. But in any event the same Bowman cards in the 90s would have been considered rookie cards. It's confusing.
Nowadays Topps usually uses Bowman Sterling to introduce rookies with the RC logo after they have appeared in Major League games... Kind of a pricy box this year with Alonso's first RC card and several others....
__________________
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats and megalimey so far.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-06-2019, 07:50 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
My Q was really to Ryan's post. Since 1994 I am just a base collector myself, but for Topps I include any Traded/ Update set. There are a few years when there was no Traded/Update sets. Based on prior threads many set collectors would not include such sets as base, but rather a new separate set. Like the definition of a variation there is no single right answer I guess.
Since the Update sets may contain rookies not found in the regular set I would think you have to have them.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-06-2019, 10:00 PM
todeen todeen is offline
Tim Odeen
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 109
Default Be careful of price reduction

I would say that you need to be cautious of price reduction if you are looking for investment purposes. I can remember Pujols and Ichiro rookies fetching outrageous prices. Then, when they got older and slowed down their production, their rookie card prices fell as well. Both are sure bet hall of famers. If I was trying to catch up my rookie card stash (I don't collect rookie cards), I would start in 2000 and work to present....rather than starting present and working backwards. I think you will find your retirement income will carry you farther.

As for the RC logo versus "Prospect Cards," I can remember when that change occurred. I believe it was MLB instituted to help rein in the card industry and the crazy variations and sets that were being created. People wanted a clarification of what was and what wasn't a RC, and this was the simplest way to make that designation. Joey Votto case in point.
__________________
Collecting '61 Topps, Tris Speaker, 1930-45 Cincinnati Reds
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-06-2019, 10:46 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,306
Default

Look at the countless varieties of Acuna rookies and tell me MLB did a good job of controlling this lol. Type 2018 Acuna into the PSA Pop Report baseball card search and it comes up with .... wait for it.... 914 results LOL.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-06-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-06-2019, 11:44 PM
Steve D's Avatar
Steve D Steve D is offline
5t3v3...D4.w50n
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 1,325
Default

I also collect some of the current rookies, and try to focus on Topps Chrome.

If there is no Topps Chrome RC for a particular player, I'll go with the regular Topps.

From what I've seen, I believe Topps keeps the variations in Chrome to a minimum; i.e., for Kris Bryant in 2015, they issued pose variations of his card, but with the Chrome, there was only one pose.

I do though, stay away from the other Topps issues like Heritage.

It can be tough though, to keep it to Topps. With Jose Altuve for instance, I really don't like his 2011 Topps Update card...It just looks strange to me with the headless teammate hugging him; so I went with the 2011 Bowman Chrome Draft card.

Steve
__________________
Successful BST deals with Leon, veloce, shammus, lharris3600, jimivintage, sb1, seablaster.

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
T205 Adkins, Donohue, Fisher, Graham (Cubs), A. Leifield, Wilhelm
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-07-2019, 09:31 AM
maniac_73 maniac_73 is offline
member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 96
Default

I remember why I don't collect much modern now, my head is spinning lol! Also not one for manufactured scarcity but everyone likes what they like.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-07-2019, 09:45 AM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
I also collect some of the current rookies, and try to focus on Topps Chrome.

If there is no Topps Chrome RC for a particular player, I'll go with the regular Topps.

From what I've seen, I believe Topps keeps the variations in Chrome to a minimum; i.e., for Kris Bryant in 2015, they issued pose variations of his card, but with the Chrome, there was only one pose.

I do though, stay away from the other Topps issues like Heritage.

It can be tough though, to keep it to Topps. With Jose Altuve for instance, I really don't like his 2011 Topps Update card...It just looks strange to me with the headless teammate hugging him; so I went with the 2011 Bowman Chrome Draft card.

Steve
The Topps Update Altuve may be the worst rookie card ever produced. Which is unfortunate because even in the scarcer varieties (Cognac and Diamond) it's pretty affordable.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-07-2019, 05:19 PM
swarmee's Avatar
swarmee swarmee is offline
J0hn Raff3rty
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Niceville FL
Posts: 4,146
Default

Vintage breaks just pulled the 2011 Bowman Draft Red Paper 1/1 Altuve RC. Will be interesting to see what that goes for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q8RoE5jdK4
At 5:40
__________________
--
PWCC: The Fish Stinks From the Head
PSA: Regularly Get Cheated
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-07-2019, 07:20 PM
RCMcKenzie's Avatar
RCMcKenzie RCMcKenzie is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
For Topps, does base include the Update/Traded set ? That discussion has popped up in threads on set runs

The Cardinals gave up Jerry Ruess to get Scipio. It might have worked out well for the Cards but for Johnny Bench
I don't remember the Astros 1970 rookies, but I do remember "Rolls Reuss", I don't recall that being his nickname, but that's what my dad calls him.

The guy on the Altuve rookie is Dave Clark. He was the 3rd base coach at the time. I have a Clark game worn jersey that I wear to games sometimes. People think it's "Will Clark"....(not my cards, but I will be getting some modern cards soon b/c they are all over my eBay watchlist now...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toppsaltuverc.jpg (76.8 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg toppsmartinezrc.jpg (78.2 KB, 119 views)
__________________
Want to buy or trade for T213-1 (Bob Rhoades)
Other Louisiana issues T216 T215 T214 T213 Etc
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-08-2019, 11:51 PM
MVSNYC MVSNYC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,441
Default

Good thread.

I'm a vintage collector (T206), but earlier this year I wanted to add some modern rookie cards, so I read up and asked some questions here on N54, and slowly picked up some nice PSA 10 cards...Funny, I never knew that about the "RC" on the cards, makes sense, and is helpful (although there's still too many choices). I also prefer Topps Update.


PS- Re: Aaron Judge, what's the concensious for his "best" (non-sig) RC to get?

Last edited by MVSNYC; 09-08-2019 at 11:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09-09-2019, 05:25 PM
bcbgcbrcb bcbgcbrcb is offline
Phil Garry
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,200
Default

Well, I gave it a shot today and picked up my first couple of modern rookie cards. After looking over a lot of stats from the past few seasons, I opted to do e-bay searches for Mookie Betts and Francisco Lindor rookie cards. I ended up picking up what I believe to be the earliest issues for each, Betts was the 2013 Panini Prizm Draft Pick base card in a PSA 10 holder for $13.00 plus $3.50 shipping. For Lindor, I picked up a raw 2009-2010 Upper Deck Team USA Triple Jersey Relic card for $5.95 w/free shipping.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-09-2019, 05:47 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,306
Default

Not sure what your criteria were but you did not get the earliest Betts card.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-GRANDS...gAAOSwos1c5XbD
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-09-2019, 06:12 PM
bcbgcbrcb bcbgcbrcb is offline
Phil Garry
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,200
Default

Thanks, Peter. I opted to stay away from the minor leagues produced sets, I believe that the one you mentioned was the only 2012 issue, am I correct?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-09-2019, 06:51 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Thanks, Peter. I opted to stay away from the minor leagues produced sets, I believe that the one you mentioned was the only 2012 issue, am I correct?
I believe so.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Advice on Selling (Modern Player) Autographed Baseballs M's_Fan Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 6 05-09-2011 05:10 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 PM.


ebay GSB