NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-26-2018, 04:55 PM
Rob

Default Cool eBay/Football story

I'm an eBay troll and a die hard Los Angeles Ram fan and collector. I spend way too much time on eBay looking for cool and unusual things to buy. A few months back a guy had something pretty interesting....Some of you may remember as I started a thread about it back then:

imgbox

image host

A hat given to famed Santa Clara/Los Angeles Ram/San Francisco 49er trainer Henry Schmidt...Signed by too many Rams to mention but Norm Van Brocklin, Tom Fears, Tom Dahms and Deacon Dan Towler to name a few. There were many other NFL and non-football dignitaries on there as well. So many that I naturally questioned if these could be original signatures. The hat above was one of three this seller had from the Henry Schmidt estate. I bought two of them. Marc (Bocca001), Net54 member and Santa Clara collector, bought the third. Real or not, I thought these were too cool to pass up. Since then I've wondered how to go about authenticating...was it possible...what it would cost...and did I really want to.

Well...Fast forward to about a month ago. I'm trolling for pennants on eBay and I find a guy selling an old Rams pennant. I shoot him a message to see if he has any others...turns out he does...He's a pennant collector too and also a die hard Rams fan. We quickly become pen pals via Ebay's messaging system. We've since graduated to exchanging phone numbers and letters in the mail. He's quickly become a very good friend.

What an interesting guy...former baseball writer (Baseball Digest and Sports Collectors Digest)...published author...and amazingly enough, he was friends with Norm Van Brocklin and he spent quite a bit of time hanging with the Rams greats of the 1950's and 60s.

So we're both very interested to see each others collections and exchange pictures. After showing him most of my pride and joy...and finding out he lives about three hours from Santa Clara...I ask if he's heard of Henry Schmidt...to which he replies of course. I proceed to tell him about my Schmidt hats and he asks if I can send pictures...which I do.

Then today in the mail I receive this from him:

image host
That's Norm Van Brocklin, Tom Fears, Tom Dahms and Deacon Dan Towler presenting a signed ball and hat to Henry Schmidt. Now I'd love to say that the hat Van Brocklin is signing is one of the ones I own. It's definitely the same style of hat, but I can't match up the signatures. I have no idea how often these hats were presented to Henry Schmidt, apparently at least three times...but regardless, what a great addition to my collection and probably all of the authentication I'll need to put to rest whether these signatures are real or not.

For Marc...Is that yours in his hand?
Old 04-26-2018, 05:00 PM
Rob

Default Bigger Picture

Here's a bigger version for more detail on the hat.

image host
Old 04-26-2018, 05:38 PM

Great story.

Rob M
Old 04-26-2018, 05:43 PM
St@n Go.len

Cool. Thats gotta be one of them....i bet it would be a bit dirty from sweaty football men carrying it/touching it. Check for grime!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2018, 06:08 PM

An amazing turn of events. Very cool.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:18 PM
Rob

Great story. These kinds of connections is what “it’s all about.”
Old 04-26-2018, 08:45 PM
Paul Herbener

Great stuff Rob!! I love stories like this. Congrats!
Old 04-26-2018, 09:46 PM
Marc

Default Hats

That's really cool, Rob.

I do not believe that these hats were presented to Henry Schmidt. I belive that he made them. I am attaching a picture of my Schmidt hat, which focuses on the 1949 Santa Clara team (they defeated Bear Bryant's Kentucky team in the 1950 Orange Bowl). It also has some signautres from Rams players, including Van Brocklin, Fears, Hirsch. Fears actually attended Santa Clara before WWII... but ended up at UCLA after the war.

I believe that the hats were made by Schmidt because of the 1937/1938 Sugar Bowl hat from Schmidt (not mine... I'm pretty sure it is owned by Santa Clara). This was his hat.

Next to my hat is a signed picture from Schmidt to Mickey Rooney. I have had this picture for several years, but just now noticed that he is wearing a signed hat like the ones we own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schmidt hat.jpg (72.3 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg Sugar Bowl hat.jpg (4.3 KB, 175 views)