NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-27-2023, 08:16 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mq711 View Post
He misused $134,000 in taxpayer money and some people want to justify or excuse that behavior, I just don’t get it.
No excuse for that behavior, and he should be fired for his egregious actions. But let's not stop there, there are so many people in government wasting our taxpayer dollars or taking advantage of their position it's disgusting. Let's remind them they work for us not the other way around.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 01-27-2023, 08:32 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by mq711 View Post
He misused $134,000 in taxpayer money and some people want to justify or excuse that behavior, I just don’t get it.
Which post did this?
Old 01-27-2023, 09:30 PM
octavio ranzola

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Which post did this?
Hi greg correct he was a thief
Old 01-28-2023, 05:32 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncinin View Post
There are some screwed up people in the world.

I have two different show customers literally tell me that if it wasn't for cards they would have nothing to live for. Another told a friend of mine if he couldn't go to shows he would rather die.

Some people have problems.
This and it has only gotten worse in the last 3 years.

My fear about gambling in sports has split over in card collecting. It seems like everything is a craps shoot.
Old 01-28-2023, 06:48 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
This has only gotten worse in the last 3 years.

My fear of gambling in sports has split over into card collecting. It seems like everything is a crap shoot.
Gambling has a strong hold on most of the sports industry as a whole right now. Every sporting event you listen to on the radio or watch on TV is loaded with sports book commercial advertising. They got them all warmed up with fantasy for a few years then statewide nationwide off sure Bookie/Betting. Now the vintage card industry with breaks ugh.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:02 AM
James M.

It's absurd how almost taboo sports gambling was for years upon years. And now it's launched at your face at any given moment, because of the absurd amount of revenue and taxes that it generates. You used to have to know a Bookie, nowadays not so much.

I can understand looking forward to a show, or the anticipation of what deals you may score at the next show. I could also understand if someone uses it as a way to get out of the house, or as a social gathering. But saying they'd die without one is extreme.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:27 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Funny that the addiction discussion so far has primarily focused on breaks . . . . and not aspects of prewar.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:35 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Funny that the addiction discussion so far has primarily focused on breaks . . . . and not aspects of prewar.
My opinion on that is because if you get addicted to prewar cards(it is easy to do) they are easy to resell with only a 25-50 percent loss. Modern and group breaks are like throwing cash out the window of a moving vehicle. Once you spend the cash there is no way of getting it back.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:57 AM
James M.

Quote:
Breaks and most modern wax are like scratch offs or lotto, people like the thrill of the potential win rather than the actual card itself.

I simply don't know how people keep up with modern. I've lost track at how many "Rookies" are available for Julio Rodriguez at this point. Probably over 100 by now!

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:16 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Breaks and most modern wax are like scratch offs or lotto, people like the thrill of the potential win rather than the actual card itself.

I simply don't know how people keep up with modern. I've lost track at how many "Rookies" are available for Julio Rodriguez at this point. Probably over 100 by now!
I've seen the modern breaking stuff. Even dabbled in it. Yes, it's like playing a slot machine.

But there is a gambling aspect and an obsessive compulsive aspect to a lot of prewar collectors as well.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:49 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
I've seen the modern breaking stuff. Even dabbled in it. Yes, it's like playing a slot machine.

But there is a gambling aspect and an obsessive compulsive aspect to a lot of prewar collectors as well.
Most people who "collect" anything tend to fall on the OC side of the fence, which can lead to poor financial decisions if you let the Monkey on your back.

-
Old 01-28-2023, 09:11 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Somewhat, though I have seen some addiction in prewar as well. Especially t206.

Completing the monster can become its own monster.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:11 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:

I guess nowadays, some might even argue that submitting to a TPG isn’t all that different from gambling. Come on baby…daddy needs a 7!!!

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 01-28-2023, 09:27 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
I guess nowadays, some might even argue that submitting to a TPG isn’t all that different from gambling. Come on baby…daddy needs a 7!!!
For many it’s that thrill/hit that fills their itch. For others it’s for the love of collecting ! PSA dominates again, fills both itches. The collector itch and the gambler/profiteer itch. Nothing wrong with either, continued pure brilliance of the Pop Report and Registry.

Last edited by Johnny630; 01-28-2023 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:32 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post

Damn! Snake eyes!

Old 01-28-2023, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
No excuse for that behavior, and he should be fired for his egregious actions. But let's not stop there, there are so many people in government wasting our taxpayer dollars or taking advantage of their position it's disgusting. Let's remind them they work for us not the other way around.
What are you saying? Who do you want to remind; the Marines, Army, Navy, Homeland Security, ATF, FBI, Secret Service, the admin clerk sitting behind a desk, the lady helping you fill out an application for Social Security? Specifically, who do you think is wasting the taxpayer dollars and who do you want to remind?

The federal government is the largest employer in the United States. Yes, there are issues. Yes, there are individuals who commit crimes. Federal employees come from our society and I think are very representative of American society as a whole. I don't want to guess what you're implying, so I won't. But maybe be a little more specific when you make such allegations so as not to insult every employee of the federal government.

A bit of a stretch going from someone misusing their position to "But let's not stop there, there are so many people in government wasting our taxpayer dollars or taking advantage of their position it's disgusting. Let's remind them they work for us not the other way around."
Old 01-28-2023, 04:50 PM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
What are you saying? Who do you want to remind; the Marines, Army, Navy, Homeland Security, ATF, FBI, Secret Service, the admin clerk sitting behind a desk, the lady helping you fill out an application for Social Security? Specifically, who do you think is wasting the taxpayer dollars and who do you want to remind?

The federal government is the largest employer in the United States. Yes, there are issues. Yes, there are individuals who commit crimes. Federal employees come from our society and I think are very representative of American society as a whole. I don't want to guess what you're implying, so I won't. But maybe be a little more specific when you make such allegations so as not to insult every employee of the federal government.

A bit of a stretch going from someone misusing their position to "But let's not stop there, there are so many people in government wasting our taxpayer dollars or taking advantage of their position it's disgusting. Let's remind them they work for us not the other way around."
I served 30 years in the Navy and 13 years civil service with the Navy. At first, my reaction was like yours. Then I took a breath and realized his choice of words and how he phrased them weren’t the best, but it does exist in many areas of our society. However, not all are bad and it’s not good to group everyone in the same category.

Last edited by SyrNy1960; 01-28-2023 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-28-2023, 05:15 PM
Bob C.

Quote:

I think he may be referring more to our elected political officials, who are all actual federal employees as well, more so than the everyday workers and people who actually do run our country and make sure it continues properly working and functioning on a daily basis. Meanwhile the elected politicians generally do nothing more than point fingers back and forth, and accuse each other of only looking out for themselves, and generally getting nothing good done on behalf of the MAJORITY OF ALL U.S. CITIZENS.

And as for the person this thread was written about, there is no denying his guilt and that he is responsible and has an obligation to society for what he did. But it is also equally apparent, and true, that he suffers from an actual mental illness, which also needs to be taken into consideration. I do not know how best such a situation should be addressed and handled, but I do realize that our government, laws, and people, often do not want to acknowledge such people exist and the real issues they have, but cannot always deal with solely on their own. And those in power and control seem to more often than not fail to recognize the actual mental illness factors in place, simply dismiss these people and abandon them to a criminal justice system that is ill equipped to handle them and often ends up subjecting them to very inhumane treatment and consideration. In the end, it is very similar to many other situations in our society, like for example how many people/groups treat and look at people who are say gay or lesbian. Those people that are gays or lesbians didn't necessarily volunteer and choose to be that way, but that sure doesn't stop many others from condemning and looking down on them, and even criminalizing and punishing them as much as they can get away with. We humans can be such wonderful, understanding and forgiving people, can't we?

Last edited by BobC; 01-28-2023 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:10 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I think he may be referring more to our elected political officials, who are all actual federal employees as well, more so than the everyday workers and people who actually do run our country and make sure it continues properly working and functioning on a daily basis. Meanwhile the elected politicians generally do nothing more than point fingers back and forth, and accuse each other of only looking out for themselves, and generally getting nothing good done on behalf of the MAJORITY OF ALL U.S. CITIZENS.

And as for the person this thread was written about, there is no denying his guilt and that he is responsible and has an obligation to society for what he did. But it is also equally apparent, and true, that he suffers from an actual mental illness, which also needs to be taken into consideration. I do not know how best such a situation should be addressed and handled, but I do realize that our government, laws, and people, often do not want to acknowledge such people exist and the real issues they have, but cannot always deal with solely on their own. And those in power and control seem to more often than not fail to recognize the actual mental illness factors in place, simply dismiss these people and abandon them to a criminal justice system that is ill equipped to handle them and often ends up subjecting them to very inhumane treatment and consideration. In the end, it is very similar to many other situations in our society, like for example how many people/groups treat and look at people who are say gay or lesbian. Those people that are gays or lesbians didn't necessarily volunteer and choose to be that way, but that sure doesn't stop many others from condemning and looking down on them, and even criminalizing and punishing them as much as they can get away with. We humans can be such wonderful, understanding and forgiving people, can't we?
Well said Bob,

My little rant was not directed at hard working, honest, federal employees nor current and former members of the armed services, many of which have made the ultimate sacrifice for our country including my own family members.

Congress on the other hand, with their stellar 18% approval rating, and elected officials who prioritize their own interests over the good of the country disgust me. Why don't we start at the top and fire every Congress person convicted of a felony and not allow convicted felons to run for one of the highest offices in the country. Let's also go after Congress who profits from pre legislation insider trading for profit. And while we're at it let's make them navigate the wonderful healthcare system we have in this country instead of having their own plan. Or how about the greatest country on earth have a clear, concise, energy plan to provide low cost energy to everyone so folks don't have to decide whether to pay their energy bill or eat. Or dismantle the elitist higher education system so everybody, no matter their socioeconomic position can go to college if they want to.

Let's have Congress, who supposedly work for us, rebuild the rungs on the ladder that they dismantled and allow American Citizens to move from lower class to upper middle class within a generation or two.

I could go on but I'm ranting again and I'd rather talk baseball cards...

-
Old 01-28-2023, 09:46 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Well said Bob,

My little rant was not directed at hard working, honest, federal employees nor current and former members of the armed services, many of which have made the ultimate sacrifice for our country including my own family members.

Congress on the other hand, with their stellar 18% approval rating, and elected officials who prioritize their own interests over the good of the country disgust me. Why don't we start at the top and fire every Congress person convicted of a felony and not allow convicted felons to run for one of the highest offices in the country. Let's also go after Congress who profits from pre legislation insider trading for profit. And while we're at it let's make them navigate the wonderful healthcare system we have in this country instead of having their own plan. Or how about the greatest country on earth have a clear, concise, energy plan to provide low cost energy to everyone so folks don't have to decide whether to pay their energy bill or eat. Or dismantle the elitist higher education system so everybody, no matter their socioeconomic position can go to college if they want to.

Let's have Congress, who supposedly work for us, rebuild the rungs on the ladder that they dismantled and allow American Citizens to move from lower class to upper middle class within a generation or two.

I kind of figured you weren't, but saw you were starting to get jumped by some who misread your intentions and were starting to take exception to what they thought you were trying to say. Thought I'd throw in to help explain what I figured you meant from the start. And I'm not putting down anyone that may have taken initial exception to what/how you said what you did. gonefishin is a great guy and member. I think he just misinterpreted what you meant because how you said what you did was unfortunately not necessarily the clearest way to maybe put what you were trying to say into a post.

But I do wish a lot more people would take a moment or two to think before they post a quick response. I get crap all the time from people who give me that TLDR (Too Long, Didn't Read) crap, or accuse me of writing War and Peace novels every time I post. But I do that on purpose to make sure someone just doing a quick read of what I posted can't give me crap by misinterpreting what I said. Which is exactly what another group of forum trolls will then possibly do because they have what I have termed the - ASOAG (Attention Span of a Goldfish) Syndrome. That can also probably be morphed into the - COAG (Comprehension of a Goldfish) Syndrome as well. Let's face it, trying to know exactly what someone is saying from a simple online post is not easy, especially if their grammar and punctuation isn't that great, or their Spellcheck kicks in and they miss an error. You also can't easily tell someone's mood or inflection in their speech while reading something they posted either. Everyone properly using emojis or well-placed LOLs would certainly help to hopefully better explain the tone and intent of some posts. Just like using ALL Caps points to shouting or greater emphasis, or even writing in blue colored scrip or print denotes sarcasm. I know I have typos and initial mistakes in many of my posts as well. And is exactly why I'll often go back and re-read what I originally said to then make corrections.

I know when I am not sure what someone initially intended to mean or say in a post, I will try to ask very serious and civil questions to better understand. It is only when I get a sarcastic or other demeaning response back that I will then respond in kind. There's an old adage among carpenters to always measure twice - and cut just once. The same can definitely be said and applicable for most people who decide to frequent and post in online groups and chat rooms from what I've ever seen and experienced. Think twice, post once!

And again, going back to the person this thread was started over, he really does have a significant mental illness, that should also be factored in and considered. Not defending what he ended up doing, but hope he at least gets some help along the way to deal with his OCD affliction as well.
Old 01-28-2023, 10:41 PM
Tim Odeen

When I was seeing a counselor, my counselor and I had a couple rounds of her telling me I have an addiction, and I tell her I have made poor choices. My sessions usually end with my counselor blue in the face.

When I am extremely stressed, I make a poor choice because I need a break that isn't generally available any other way. When the stressful situation ends, so do my poor choices. My counselor tells me that's called falling off the wagon. I tell her I don't believe addiction is a disease, and I'm not going to make excuses for my poor choices, I might have addictive tendencies but I'm not addicted.

Thankfully my poor choices have never led to financial issues, health issues, or physical harm.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 01-28-2023 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:12 AM

Phil - thanks for the clarification.

Bob - thanks for the assist.

Tony - thanks for your lifetime of service to our country.

Case closed, happy Sunday to all.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:27 AM
John

I wonder what type of cards he was buying. Hopefully not blowing it all on Wander Francos. I used to follow the main baseball card subreddit until this spring I was overwhelmed with posts of 5,000 different people all pulling a 1/1 of Wander. "This is the next '52 Topps Mantle!!".

If he was a pre-war collector then perhaps to pay off that $134K he can sell off some cards quickly at a low-rate to us.

Perhaps the federal government should invest money in pre-war cards.
Old 01-29-2023, 10:28 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Well said Bob,

IMO the first step toward changing any of the things you mention (all of which I agree with, btw) is to get money out of the electoral process. Currently, money buys influence, so those with the most money (and thanks to Citizens United, this now includes money funneled from overseas) have the most influence. We'd see a non-useless legislative branch if the representatives were there for reasons other than personal enrichment.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 01-29-2023, 11:34 AM
Bob C.

Quote:

Amen brother, well said!
Old 01-29-2023, 12:09 PM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:

Well said to each and all; thank you for your kind words; and thank you too!

Not just on NET54, but on other sites also, I wish a separate topic folder would be created for Government/Politic discussions, where those who like to discuss (positive or negative) can go. We all know how those debates can turn ugly.

This thread was about a guy (he could have been in any job), who abused his position, for the sake of supporting his collecting habits. We can all agree that's not good, no matter what job he was in.

It would be good if we all could stay on topic, but even I have driven of course a time or two, so I get it. I just think when it comes to government/politics, it hits a nerve with many, depending on what or how something is being said. Heck, I have family members who haven't talked in years over it (UGH). I personally don't care to read anything relating to it either, so I will just move on next time.

Sorry Phil for taking your post wrong. My promise is that if I read any future comments relating negatively to government/politics, I will not respond. As we say in the military...Lesson Learned.

Ok, getting ready to watch some NFL Football, so enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

Tony

Last edited by SyrNy1960; 01-29-2023 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:49 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

“There is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.”

“All Congresses and Parliaments have a kindly feeling for idiots, and a compassion for them, on account of personal experience and heredity.”

--Mark Twain

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."

--Groucho

"In America, anyone can become president. That’s the problem."

"Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out."

"The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments in a courthouse: You cannot post 'Thou shalt not steal,' 'Thou shalt not commit adultery,' and 'Thou shalt not lie' in a building full of lawyers, judges, and politicians. It creates a hostile work environment."

"Everybody complains about politicians. Everybody says they suck. Well, where do people think these politicians come from? They don't fall out of the sky. They don't pass through a membrane from another reality. They come from American parents and American families, American homes, American schools, American churches, American businesses and American universities, and they are elected by American citizens. This is the best we can do folks. This is what we have to offer. It's what our system produces: Garbage in, garbage out."

--George Carlin

“Haven't you noticed that every time the government f-ks up McDonald's has a new sandwich?”

--Bill Burr

Thanks, you've been a great crowd. Enjoy Whitesnake.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-29-2023 at 08:02 PM.