NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Eric Johnson

Default Pacific Coast League Question

This is my first time posting and though it is not specifically about cards it is about vintage baseball and I see there are a lot of knowledgeable individuals who post on this forum. What I am trying to find out is when did the players in the PCL start wearing numbers on their uniforms? If anyone out there knows I would love to hear about it.
I plan on posting more in the future with card related queries especially Zee-Nuts. For now though, I hope someone has an answer to my question.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default no doubt

First of all welcome to Net54. I hope you enjoy your stay here. It's usually a pretty fun place. I am sure someone will come up with the answer, and if they don't, I know a few folks to call to ask. I am always glad to try to help. Take care!!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:40 AM

Default Numbers on PCL uniforms

According to the "Dressed to the Nines" website:

"The earliest photographic evidence of the use of uniform numbers comes from a 1909 Chicago Daily News picture of pitching great José Mendez. A legendary Cuban ballplayer, Mendez was a member of the inaugural class of the Cuban Baseball Hall of Fame in 1939 and was inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 2006".

With regards to the PCL, I believe 1912 was the first year teams added numbers on their sleeves. None of my 11 1911 Zeenut catchers show numbers on their Zeenut cards. Both the 1912 Home Run Kisses and 1912 Zeenuts show numbers.

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HowleyHRK22.jpg (37.0 KB, 566 views)
File Type: jpg howley1912zfront.jpg (17.1 KB, 566 views)
File Type: jpg KidSmithHRK.jpg (34.6 KB, 568 views)
File Type: jpg HOGAN1912Z.jpg (17.2 KB, 566 views)
Old 08-11-2010, 09:06 AM

Default PCL Uniform Numbers

However, from 1913 thru 1933 player jerseys did not have numbers--at least not the Solons. The PCL proscribed the wearing of numbers in 1934 and jerseys from that year on had numbers. Alan
Old 08-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Eric Johnson

Solons 42 and all thanks for the information. My motive behind asking is my grandfather pitched in the PCL from 1924-1935 and I was trying to find out if he ever had a number. My daughter plays fastpitch softball and was asking me. I guess she wants to carry on the legacy if there is one. My grandfather was Edwin Bryan, played with Vernon, SF Missions and Sacramento mainly. Always looking for history about his time in the PCL. Heard a lot of stories as a kid unfortunately never wrote any of it down. If only I was smarter back then.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:37 PM
D.B. Cooper

There's a fellow on here who put together a website dedicated to his great-grandfather, Spider Baum, who pitched for the Sacramento Salons among others during a long career in the PCL. Some great photos on the site.

http://www.spiderbaum.com/
Old 08-11-2010, 04:21 PM

I don't know about a number, but you can see his stats at:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=bryan-002edw

He also is on several of the Zeenuts cards from 1925 to 1931 (I think)
- Dave
Old 08-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Here are a pair of cards of your grandfather...

-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 08-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Eric Johnson

Man this forum is great! I have learned more in less than 24hrs about my grandfathers playingtime than I have over the past few years. I sure wish I had been smart enough to record all his great stories. I am trying to put his old scapbook back together. My grandmother had kept it up during his playing days but over all these years it has fallen apart and is in complete disarray. I have lots of old press clippings unfortunately most do not have dates associated with them. It is going to be a long hard task.
As for cards (which this forum is really supposed to be about) I have been slowly purchasing as many of his cards as I can. I think I am close to one complete set. My goal is to form complete sets for all my kids....another long haul task. Another goal is to find an autographed card. I am not sure if he ever signed one but you never know. I will be posting more in the future with some interesting pictures when I figure out how. Thanks to all.
V/R
SacSolons33
Old 08-12-2010, 11:46 AM

One more Zeenut. . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2z33bryan.jpg (28.8 KB, 433 views)
Old 08-12-2010, 12:11 PM

Default Eddie Bryan

Hi SacSolons33-
I'm glad you mentioned who your grandfather was, as that helps us to provide specific info (as above). If you need scans of his Sacramento images from 1929-33 I have all those Zeenuts. I also have a lot of the old Solons programs and have gone thru them to put together a list of player uniform numbers (1934-60); however, your grandfather left the Solons after the 1933 season, so that won't help you. Since you and I are the only two that I know of who are using the "Solons" name, I'm curious if you are in the Sacramento area--I am.
Regards,
Alan O'Connor
Solons42
Old 08-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Eric Johnson

Alan, Solons42 sorry to say I live in LA (the state not city). I was stationed in Atwater /Merced from 1990 through 1994 so visited there a lot. One of my wife's favorite malls. Unfortunately I did not get interested in researching my grandfather's career until after we shipped east and my mother passed down the scrapbook to me. Passed through there a year ago July but only had time to visit the mall (kept wife happy) eat and sleep before hitting the road as we headed back home. We were on an epic journey 6000 mile road trip. One suburban three kids, and 10 national parks.
I digress, love Sacramento and would love to come back someday to do some research. Did find the home they had built when he was playing there. My grandma served chicken dinners at the house to make a little extra money and feed the players, Great Depression era. Anyhow I appreciate all the info and I will be in contact. Since numbers were not used until 34 I will have to try to see if he had one in Portland (34) or Seattle (35) where he ended up after leaving the Solons.
Eric Johnson
SacSolons33
Old 08-14-2010, 06:05 PM

Default Bryan is #18 !!

Hi Eric-
As it turned out I have a Sacramento program from 1934 when they played Portland. Eddie Bryan is listed as #18! Sorry, but I did not have a program with his 1935 number--post to see if anyone has a 1935 Seattle Program--I'll bet someone does.
Also, I've attached a 1932 Sacramento image of Eddie.
All the best.
Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bryan.jpg (70.2 KB, 308 views)
Old 08-14-2010, 07:31 PM

Default Good Luck in your search

Eric,

Best of luck in your search.

Great job Alan!

This is the kind of thread that is priceless.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Eric Johnson

Alan, you are the man. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate everything you have posted. That last image is incredible. Where did you find it? As far as the number goes I can't wait to tell my daughter. She has been wearing number 9 on her all star team but next year I am sure she will want to switch to 18 for league play. She pitches some but mainly plays first although she loves the outfield now. Anyhow I owe you and hopefully I will be able to repay you for all the help.
V/R
Eric
Old 09-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Marc S.

Default I was recently able to add

a tabbed Zeenut of Eddie Bryan to my collection.

Scan here:

Eric -- were you able to record / find out any more stories about your grandfather? I'm sure a few of us here on Net 54 would love to hear more about him.

Best,
Marc
Old 09-14-2013, 07:14 AM
qualitycards

Eric, You're grandfather died a little over 35 years ago (Jan of '78)
So am curious how much time you got to spend w/ him.
FWIW, both my grandfathers died before I was born.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:48 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Eric- Mark Macrae has probably forgotten more about the PCL than most people will ever know. Since you're in LA you might want to chat with him, he'll be at the Culver City show on October 5th. If you write him ahead of time he might even be able to bring some items of your grandfather.

Earlier this year I wrote Mark about my neighbors father, Fay Thomas. Not only was he able to provide information, he had been looking for Fay's kids for years. Fay had been voted into the PCL Hall of Fame and the girls were unaware of it. Thanks to Mark and Dick Beverage they were presented with their fathers HOF plaque at the annual PCL show in May. And they were given their fathers personal scrapbook, with letters from him to their mother and family pictures they had never seen. Can't promise he can do the same for you but if there is any information out there about your grandfather he'll find it.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:45 AM
Mark Macrae

Anthony, While this post was from 2010, according to my records I dealt with Eric in 1998 when he was living in Nebraska and shortly before I had email. I've also dealt with another relative of Ed Bryan living in Illinois. Don't remember our conversation from the '90's, however
Old 09-14-2013, 09:52 AM
Skip

Default Only slightly off topic

A number of years ago, I began a website, www.sulphurdell.com, to commemorate Nashville's old ballpark. I had two people write to me about their recollection about a family member who played at the long-gone park, both the grandsons of Nashville teammates Byon Speece and Bill Rodda. Ironically, both played in the PCL although in different decades.

Through the website we were able to determine that the grandsons lived within a few miles of each other in northern California and were able to swap family and baseball information in their attempts to piece together their grandfathers' baseball history.

What I'd like to add to this conversation is the value in forums such as net54baseball.com; it truly is heartwarming for historical facts, and lore, to be re-told and is valuable to not only families but historians as well.

Even though the prime interest here is cards and memorabilia, when it takes the form of history that helps to complete family stories, the results cannot be measured by dollar value or grading.

My cap's off to those who have assisted Eric in his quest!

Last edited by Nashvol; 09-14-2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: web address edit, omitted "."
Old 09-14-2013, 10:21 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaks1912 View Post
Anthony, While this post was from 2010, according to my records I dealt with Eric in 1998 when he was living in Nebraska and shortly before I had email. I've also dealt with another relative of Ed Bryan living in Illinois. Don't remember our conversation from the '90's, however
D'oh! Didn't notice that Marc had dredged up an old thread!
But it did prompt Skips post, which is spot on.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:52 PM
Marc S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
D'oh! Didn't notice that Marc had dredged up an old thread!
But it did prompt Skips post, which is spot on.
Very old thread, Anthony -- apologies. Just found it with interest when trying to find out more about Eddie Bryan after I picked up that tabbed example-

Sorry
Old 09-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Mark Macrae

Skip,
I talked with Bill Rodda's grandson last night (not related to your post) and he genuinely appreciates your website and efforts. He and his uncle (Bill's son) attended our PCL Reunion a few weeks back for the first time and enjoyed talking with other attendees. I've been in touch with Ken now for about ten years. Its great to help fill in the blanks for the families, but the families are also able to fill in some of the blanks in our research...Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashvol View Post
A number of years ago, I began a website, www.sulphurdell.com, to commemorate Nashville's old ballpark. I had two people write to me about their recollection about a family member who played at the long-gone park, both the grandsons of Nashville teammates Byon Speece and Bill Rodda. Ironically, both played in the PCL although in different decades.

Through the website we were able to determine that the grandsons lived within a few miles of each other in northern California and were able to swap family and baseball information in their attempts to piece together their grandfathers' baseball history.

What I'd like to add to this conversation is the value in forums such as net54baseball.com; it truly is heartwarming for historical facts, and lore, to be re-told and is valuable to not only families but historians as well.

Even though the prime interest here is cards and memorabilia, when it takes the form of history that helps to complete family stories, the results cannot be measured by dollar value or grading.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Bryan M1ll3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashvol View Post

I completely agree. This is one of the better reads (on any site) that I've come across recently. Thanks to everyone who contributing this being a heartwarming thread.