NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-30-2015, 02:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Patriots 13 PSI, Seahawks 12 PSI.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:36 AM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Location: Denmark (don't worry, I have a USA mailing address!)

Seahawks 23-20 (total 43)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
T206 back run: 21/38
Old 01-31-2015, 11:18 AM

Seattle, 56 total points
Old 01-31-2015, 11:20 AM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Seattle - 27-17 (44 total points).

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 01-31-2015, 11:34 AM
Ronald Goldberg

Seattle 38 New England 24

I could swear I posted this late last night but it disappeared. If it shows up, and the score is different, it's because I can't remember what it was.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:27 PM
Joe Gonsowski

No chance for me but I'll pick NE to try and climb to mid-pack.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 01-31-2015, 06:39 PM

Seahawks 24, New England 17
Old 02-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Belltown Vintage

Seattle 31
New England 24
Old 02-01-2015, 03:56 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Pats 34
Seahawks 20
Old 02-01-2015, 03:57 PM
Jason Wells

Ill go NE 24-23
Old 02-01-2015, 04:01 PM
P.hil €lli$

NE - 44 pts.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:10 PM
Mike C@.v3

Worst play call in a Super Bowl...ever?

Congrats on the victory, Ian!
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 02-01-2015, 08:13 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post

IMO, the call with 6 seconds left in the first half was pretty stupid too. Sure it worked, but it was still stupid. They should have kicked a field goal. I'm sure the Hawks fans will disagree with me, but I know they would have said it was stupid as well had it not worked out.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:13 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post

I think so.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 02-01-2015, 08:15 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
IMO, the call with 6 seconds left in the first half was pretty stupid too. Sure it worked, but it was still stupid. They should have kicked a field goal. I'm sure the Hawks fans will disagree with me, but I know they would have said it was stupid as well had it not worked out.
You're right David, very risky and not smart imo. Lucky for them it worked out. This is the Super Bowl and points are a premium...plus you get the ball first in the second half.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 02-01-2015, 08:19 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Congrats to Ian!

I'm just glad I didn't finish last. I haven't tallied the points, but I think that honor belongs to Scott
Old 02-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Roy W.
Banned

Marshawn Lynch getting 10 mil per year and you can't run the ball 3 straight times at the 1 yard line to score??? When has that dude ever been stopped from moving forward for 1 yard three straight times?? Lol. Absolute worst play call in SB history and it's not even close. IF they just run the damn ball, Seattle is celebrating a back to back trophy right now.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:38 PM
FredYoung

Hard to believe ANY Super Bowl will ever match the plays that took place in the last minute--absolutely incredible swing of emotions. I saw David Tyree all over again, an unreal loss & then ---JUSTICE!
Old 02-01-2015, 10:45 PM
Belltown Vintage

I am really sick at my stomach. Bad calls at the end of each half, but not running at the end was a travesty - almost the only way to lose that game
Old 02-01-2015, 11:31 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Congrats to Ian!

I'm just glad I didn't finish last. I haven't tallied the points, but I think that honor belongs to Scott
Thanks y'all.. I'm not even sure I know what winning means? but I'd like to thank David, the board, the members of the academy, my wife, my cards... and Andrew Luck for upsetting the Broncos. I couldn't have done it without you.

To the game, WOW, what a classic! I agree with previous comments about that play call. Marshawn was getting just getting warm at game's end. I guess (?) I get their thinking, take a quick shot through the air when everyone expects a run, then pound it on 3rd down.. and anyone's guess on 4th if needed. I'd probably have switched the order and run on 2nd, especially after Marshawn had a nice gainer on 1st down and looked unstoppable from the 1... then maybe given Wilson a run pass option on 3rd.

That said, you gotta give that kid #21 credit. Unless he jumps that route like he does, that little slant/pick combo is a gimme TD. I'm guessing his jump was largely the result of strong scouting/film study, but also hugely just a great, ballsy, aggressive individual play, by an undrafted unknown.

Congrats to the Pats.. and to fellow Woodside HS alum Julian Edelman, who just got to experience the moment all players dream of.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:35 PM
I@n Cl@rke

... adding, at the end of the game, I think Belichek made nearly as bad an error by not calling TO after Marshawn's 1st down run. If he does so, he almost assures his O will get the ball back with nearly a minute. He had nothing to lose (they'd have easily been able to run off a minute had they held, Seattle only had 1 TO) and everything to gain. As it played out, had Seattle scored, they lost 20-30 seconds. Thanks to little #21, it was all moot.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:42 PM
Roy W.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
... adding, at the end of the game, I think Belichek made nearly as bad an error by not calling TO after Marshawn's 1st down run. If he does so, he almost assures his O will get the ball back with nearly a minute. He had nothing to lose (they'd have easily been able to run off a minute had they held, Seattle only had 1 TO) and everything to gain. As it played out, had Seattle scored, they lost 20-30 seconds. Thanks to little #21, it was all moot.

Exactly, VERY strange back to back bad coaching decisions! I was thinking the whole time, "how is Belichick NOT calling a timeout here??" A TD would have made it a 3 point Seattle lead and almost a minute for Brady to get in FG range. As I was digesting that crazy non timeout call, I see Wilson drop back to throw the ball.....*facepalm*

It just boggles my mind how (with still plenty of time to kill on the clock) a passing play is called over the MIDDLE where everybody is bunched up! Insanely awful playcall at the 1 yard line by Bevell and Carrol that will no doubt haunt them forever. No doubt about it, Tommy Terrific's 4th SB was gift wrapped tonight by Bevell and Carrol lol.

Last edited by HappyJack41; 02-01-2015 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:22 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Glad I'm not only one who was clueless as to why NE didn't call TO in that situation.

I just watched the 2nd half again, back home and without lots of talking people... I'm even more amazed now by the Seattle play call. I'm not as opposed to their passing, but why in the hell would they not do a hard sell on a run/play fake??? Line up under center (not shotgun), do a hard fake, allow your TE to sell block and release into the flat... or allow Wilson to roll or bootleg with a run pass option. I agree with others, they should have run, but if you're gonna throw, then take full advantage of the fact everyone expects run.

I also am curious to know if Wilson may have made some sort of check at the line. They have trips to the right, but he moves both Baldwin (Revis playing man follows) and Lynch to his left just prior to the nap.. in his mind, I'm sure he sees this create a nice void for that quick slant/pick.... but Butler just made an amazing jump on it. Seeing his play again, it's amazing how quickly he commits to jumping it, and how much ground he covers. Bad play call, however full props to Butler.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:58 AM
Roy W.
Banned

No doubt Butler gets props for making a nice play on the ball.....but everybody that watched it knows, he should NEVER have even been given the chance lol. You have Beast Mode at the 1 yard line with clock to kill and another timeout in case anything goes bad. 2 or 3 shots to pound it in the end zone with a tired Patriots team getting blown off the ball.....hell even a Wilson keeper would have been a better play call than a pass in the middle with every defender bunched up.

All game long Lynch was carrying Patriot defenders for extra yards, the odds of him NOT getting into the end zone from the 1 was slim to nil at best. They didn't even take advantage of Belichick's miscue on the non TO. The clock runs down, they pound it in for the lead and leave Brady 15-20 seconds to try to get in FG range against the LOB with only 1 TO left.......would have never happened.

Last edited by HappyJack41; 02-02-2015 at 01:02 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:16 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Yeah, my point is not that they shouldn't have run... but if they are going to throw, sell the run!! Why they wouldn't run a hard play fake, try to pull up one or more of the secondary guys... then either let Wilson roll, or boot... or just hide the ball and let someone sneak to the flat of corner is beyond me. Everyone would bite on a fake in that situation.

None of this should take away from Butler's play, or the fact Brady and the Pats overcame a 10 pt 4th quarter deficit. This comeback is unprecedented in SB history... the Skins and Saints overcame 10 point first half deficits, but not 4th quarter, and not against defenses anywhere nearly as viscous at the Hawks'. Before this game, I was also really interested to see how little Julian Edelman would play against these DBs. He stepped up, and to see him shake off that hit from Chancellor was pretty savage.. I frankly think he may have been semi concussed on that hit. That guy is just a ball player.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:58 AM

I can't believe that I picked all the games correct except one and called the exact outcome of the Super Bowl. And still lost. I'm not sure if I can do any better than that. Congratulations to Ian.

And to all the Seattle fans on here, I got to see Pete Carroll coach in New England for 3 years. The last play call wasn't a surprise.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:58 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmh71 View Post
New England 28-24
John really deserves a consolation prize for picking the exact score. That's amazing!
Old 02-02-2015, 07:18 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

As a Pats fan, I still really can't believe we won. After that Kearse catch, on the heels of the last two Super Bowls (Tyree and Manningham), all I was thinking was, here we go again. I was screaming for the Pats to call timeout and thought they should have let Lynch score a TD on first down. Shows what I know!!

Rest assured, Pats fans' balls are fully inflated this morning!!
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:51 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Link didn't work but Lynch ran the ball from 1 yard out Five times this year and only scored once.

Last edited by Pat R; 02-02-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf441 View Post
As a Pats fan, I still really can't believe we won. After that Kearse catch, on the heels of the last two Super Bowls (Tyree and Manningham), all I was thinking was, here we go again. I was screaming for the Pats to call timeout and thought they should have let Lynch score a TD on first down. Shows what I know!!

Rest assured, Pats fans' balls are fully inflated this morning!!
The difference was that this year they had guys that were ready and able to make plays on defense. And Belichick knew it, hence no timeout. The last play really showed that.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
The difference was that this year they had guys that were ready and able to make plays on defense. And Belichick knew it, hence no timeout. The last play really showed that.
He definitely should have called a timeout to save clock for the offense. Hindsight is great, and people can now spin it all they want, but the odds had to be 80 percent or higher that Seattle with its timeouts scores with Lynch on the ground, or by a short pass for that matter.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-02-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:53 PM

And done what with the ball? Hail Mary? Against Seattle's secondary? The game was at the one yard line. Kudos to the Pats D for making a play.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:07 PM
Belltown Vintage

Amazing that Belichek did not call the time-out. Has anyone heard him say why he did not?

Listening to Pete Carroll's explanation of the play call, and some of the guys on ESPN, I'm feeling a little less sick to my stomach. I guess the odds of that interception being made are probably about the same as someone stripping Russell or Marshawn of the football, or of them getting backed up and having to pass on the final play.

Who knows. Fortunately, my only decision was whether to order a Stout or a Brown ale.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
And done what with the ball? Hail Mary? Against Seattle's secondary? The game was at the one yard line. Kudos to the Pats D for making a play.
Huh? Suppose he takes the timeout. On the first play, Seattle scores a touchdown and they are up by three. They then kick off, and NE has a minute or so to get into field goal range. Odds are against them, but far from impossible, and no Hail Mary. Of course you try to stop them, but no reason I see to let time run off the clock unnecessarily.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-02-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Amazing that Belichek did not call the time-out. Has anyone heard him say why he did not?

Listening to Pete Carroll's explanation of the play call, and some of the guys on ESPN, I'm feeling a little less sick to my stomach. I guess the odds of that interception being made are probably about the same as someone stripping Russell or Marshawn of the football, or of them getting backed up and having to pass on the final play.

Who knows. Fortunately, my only decision was whether to order a Stout or a Brown ale.
Not sure about that. According to Butler, he anticipated the play because he had seen them run it in film, and also because Wilson looked in his direction right before the snap.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-02-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:29 PM
P@trick R.omolo

I think Belichicks no time out call may have been brilliant, if he calls time out it gives Carroll time to think about it and he probably would have went with
a run play.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:34 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Not sure about that. According to Butler, he anticipated the play because he had seen them run it in film, and also because Wilson looked in his direction right before the snap.
C'mon Peter - let me rationalize.

I need a Dallas vs Seattle NFC Championship game next year. I'm going to work real hard this year to build up my karma through positive interactions on this forum....

...who am I kidding?
Old 02-02-2015, 06:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
I think Belichicks no time out call may have been brilliant, if he calls time out it gives Carroll time to think about it and he probably would have went with
a run play.
What the hell was there to think about? You have the ball at the one yard line, two time outs and the best running back in football. I see no brilliance and I do not buy the story I read that somehow he "tricked" Seattle into passing. Seattle f-ed up, badly. Period.

As for the non-time out, the rationalizations to me are 20-20 in the rear view mirror. It worked out for him, so no questions were asked. As great a coach as he is, I see it as a lapse.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-02-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:03 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Final Standings:

itjclarke – 22
johnmh71 – 21
GoldenAge50s – 20
Big Ben – 20
barrysloate – 19
wolf441 – 19
bobbyw8469 – 17
tombocombo – 17
Peter_Spaeth – 16
talkinbaseball – 16
BicycleSpokes – 16
Cliff Bowman – 16
freakhappy – 16
ins02 – 16
tiger8mush – 15
tlwise12 – 15
Joe_G – 13
Jason – 13
t206fix – 13
frankbmd – 12
bn2cardz – 12
jcmtiger – 11
veloce – 11
wheitman – 10
pgellis – 10
Eric72 – 10
vintagetoppsguy – 9
Rgold – 9
gregr2 – 7
Runscott - 6
Old 02-02-2015, 07:06 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
What the hell was there to think about? You have the ball at the one yard line, two time outs and the best running back in football. I see no brilliance and I do not buy the story I read that somehow he "tricked" Seattle into passing. Seattle f-ed up, badly. Period.

As for the non-time out, the rationalizations to me are 20-20 in the rear view mirror. It worked out for him, so no questions were asked. As great a coach as he is, I see it as a lapse.
100% agree. It worked out well for them not calling a TO, but not due to some sort of coaching brilliance. It would have been unquestionably the right coaching decision to call TO on D. If your D steps up and holds them, Seattle only has 1 TO left, so you can definitely run out the clock... If Seattle scores, you'll have 50 seconds to a minute to get into FG. Not sure why it seems so improbable for the Pats to get into FG in 50 or seconds ( "hail mary"?), when we'd seen Seattle go 80 yards in 29 seconds.. And also seen Brady lead the Pats to TDs on his previous to drives against the Hawks' great secondary.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Huh? Suppose he takes the timeout. On the first play, Seattle scores a touchdown and they are up by three. They then kick off, and NE has a minute or so to get into field goal range. Odds are against them, but far from impossible, and no Hail Mary. Of course you try to stop them, but no reason I see to let time run off the clock unnecessarily.
By the time they got the ball back, there would have been more like 45 seconds and the ball probably would have been at their 20. Did you see the first Super Bowl against the Giants? They supposedly had time for a final drive in that game and ended up heaving the ball at the end. I'm glad Belichick played it the way he did.