NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-26-2006, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Default Slightly O/T - Beckett Grade of Authentic vs. Number Grade

Posted By: David Davis

Hi,
I know I do not post in many threads, but hope that Leon will cut me some slack. If you view the link below,

http://cgi.ebay.com/06-The-Cup-Wayne-Gretzky-Mario-Lemieux-NHL-Shield-1-1_W0QQitemZ300020829443QQihZ020QQcategoryZ44900QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

you will find that the card received a grade of Authentic. Why did this card not get a numerical grade? Isn't authenticating the item part of the grading process? When does a card get a number, vs, when it gets an Authentic grade. What would the bogus Wagner get from Beckett?

Old 08-26-2006, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

David,

That aint even VINTAGE hockey junk! Just giving you a hard time...

I think it didn't get a numerical grade because Beckett is just providing an opinion that the card is authentic. It's kind of like autographed cards, I don't think that they assign numerical grades to those either, they just want to let people know that, in the grading companies opinion, the autograph is authentic.

Holy crap, $10K for that thing? Can't people just buy a game used jersey of each of those players for that kind of cash?

Old 08-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I ask you the question, why should the card get a numerical grade? It's not unlike a unique piece of memorabilia, and was presumably pulled straight from the pack. There isn't going to be a better (or worse) condition example.

If someone looking at one of my photos said, "You should get this graded by PSA," I would say, "Why?" If he said, "Then you would know if it's a PSA 4 or a PSA5," I would say "Why would I want to know that?"

Old 08-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

That kind of reminds me of the story that was told on a recent thread regarding autographs... it was a funny story about an autograph authenticator that solicited to authenticate an autograph which someone just had signed at a card show... the response from the person who had just saw the autograph being signed would have been similar...

Old 08-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Actually, I believe in the modern card area, it is not always needed for a good card to be graded to be sellable. For example, a Dwayne Wade #1/5 autographed card is certified by the company and pulled straight from the pack, so there isn't a need authenticate it. I don't know how minor wear would effect the value, as much of the value is due to the 1/5 rarity and autograph.

I've sold ungraded Hall of Famer autographed insert cards on ebay, a few with minor edge wear. Presumably a crease or surface wrinkle would have lowered the price a lot, but I don't recal light edge roughnes or minor corner ding having effect on the sale prices. My guess is that most were bidding on them as autographs.