NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-19-2017, 07:36 AM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Default ebay global shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Try being in Canada, where eBay charges ridiculous amounts through their Global Shipping Program. I'm with you, I include those charges when bidding, and seldom win anything from anyone who uses that program.

Lots of discussion around whether Americans who use that program actually realize it lowers the number of potential bidders for their products.
I use Ebay Global shipping for international and only ebay global shipping
hundred of successful Global shipping transactions .
If not for ebay global I would not even offer international shipping , due the major hassle it can be.
Some International buyers complain about the charges and then ask me to ship it by other means , but there is always a caveat , that being I lie on the customs forms as to its true value or what the contents are , or just put some stamps on it and mail it with no declaration . The buyer saves money with zero risk , because if it gets held in customs,lost or not delivered Ebay will give the buyer their full money back plus the shipping cost , How doing that makes any sense for the seller as good business is beyond me , so if it means losing those customers so be it ,
Old 09-19-2017, 08:05 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalimey View Post
If not for ebay global I would not even offer international shipping , due the major hassle it can be.
Some International buyers complain about the charges and then ask me to ship it by other means , but there is always a caveat , that being I lie on the customs forms as to its true value or what the contents are , or just put some stamps on it and mail it with no declaration . The buyer saves money with zero risk , because if it gets held in customs,lost or not delivered Ebay will give the buyer their full money back plus the shipping cost , How doing that makes any sense for the seller as good business is beyond me , so if it means losing those customers so be it ,
100% in agreement with this.....zero risk to the buyer....100% risk on the seller.....horrible selling practices and lord help the sellers that engage in that.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:24 AM
De.rek Gre.nce

Quote:
+1 it's just too risky
Old 09-19-2017, 10:06 AM
Banned

Pretty sure OP wasn't complaining after the fact and threatening negative feedback. He was just wondering what others thought of the price of shipping.
In my opinion it's high.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:57 AM

Default Current USPS rates

Here is a link to current USPS rates:

http://www.nerdylorrin.net/jerry/postages/index.html

Note smallest priority box is $7.15
Insurance (over $50. for the small priority box) is $3.35

Total for priority and insurance $150. card is $10.50

To those in Canada:

We have LOTS of Canadian customers. MOST have a drop box in the USA and smuggle the packages across the border (not promoting this, simply posting reality). Reason: packages to Canada MUST go Registered Mail (+$23.50) to be insured. Add the $23.50 to the actual postage costs.

Many vendors, due to previous experiences, will NOT mail anything uninsured!

Jon.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:32 AM
Dave

People also forget that the combination of Ebay/Paypal also takes about a 13% cut of the S&H costs.

The obvious math of a $10 shipping charge = the seller is only seeing $8.70 of that. It's actually a little bit higher on the Paypal end if it's an International transaction.

Now, if they throw it in a letter envelope with a couple stamps on it, that's highway robbery and irresponsible. If they send it securely and they disclose the shipping cost up front, there should not be an issue.

Years ago I had a Net54 member ding me with a 1 on shipping cost, which put me at a threshold which ended up costing me probably 100 bucks in Ebay discounts over the next couple months before I caught back up again.

My crime? I charged $4.95 S&H for a card that ended up selling at auction for about $77.00. I think it was a card I had anticipated would probably sell for over $100 bucks when I listed it. It was fully disclosed in the auction up front. The guy paid right away and did not make a peep about the shipping until he left feedback a week later after he received the card. I sent the card 1st Class Package rate with cardboard reinforcement and Insurance. Total shipping (not including supplies/fees etc.) cost to me at the time was about $4.60.

The guy wanted to teach me a lesson. He's the type who likes to teach people/sellers a lesson when they don't do everything exactly the way he might have done it. Scanning his feedback left I noticed several other Net54 members he had done the exact same thing to. Nobody ever called him out (I'm not going to either), because he is generally a respected member on here, but I'm sure some of you will know exactly who I'm talking about. He's a paranoid type who thinks he's the only righteous one out there, and everybody else is out there trying to screw him over.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:36 AM

Any card below $750 can be properly shipped for $3 (I charge $4 to cover packing materials). Anything over $750, first class with signature confirmation and anything over $2200 goes priority express with signature confirmation. I charge $4 for the first card and $.20 per card after that - anything that goes high I just eat the shipping cost.

Last edited by Sean1125; 09-19-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:20 PM
D.mitr.y D.

I'm assuming these are the value thresholds and shipping methods that your private insurance carrier requires.

Not everyone has an insurance policy on their collectibles, and would need to fork over much more than that to cover the insurance costs on their packages. Not a chance that you can ship a $750 item fully insured for $3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
Any card below $750 can be properly shipped for $3 (I charge $4 to cover packing materials). Anything over $750, first class with signature confirmation and anything over $2200 goes priority express with signature confirmation. I charge $4 for the first card and $.20 per card after that - anything that goes high I just eat the shipping cost.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:31 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
Just because it can be doesn't mean it should be. A single card in a graded holder packed well in a bubble envelope sent Priority Mail with insurance (you bet your ass I am going to insure it if it is that expensive) would cost $10.00. Not to mention time, other materials such as tape, bubble wrap, gas to the PO, etc.

If you are going to buy a card worth a couple hundred bucks, why in the hell would you ever worry about a few bucks shipping if it gets to you quickly and safely?

To Bruce, the OP..... it does seem high for one card, and if it were put in a holder and tossed in a white letter envelope with a stamp that's one thing. But $7.95 really isn't bad at all for that nice of a card. Even sent 1st class from Birmingham, if insured it would cost in the $6 range. And has already stated of that $7.95, the seller only gets $6.91 after ebay and paypal fees.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:37 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsFan View Post
Pretty sure OP wasn't complaining after the fact and threatening negative feedback. He was just wondering what others thought of the price of shipping.
In my opinion it's high.
Thank you! Even though in my original post I did mention negative feedback I probably wouldn't follow through with it. I was just wondering how many sellers here wouldn't hesitate charging $9 shipping.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:04 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Most of those sellers don't care, as they wouldn't ship to Canada without it. During the "hay day" of Ebay, I can't tell you how many packages that got shipped to Canada were "lost". It was enough to make me realize shipping to Canada was a money losing proposition.
Both of these comments are fair enough. I guess I always believe in integrity, and your word is your word; karma is a b*tch too.

Anyone asking you to lie about the value would be the same person who then tells you the package never showed up. I've ordered hundreds of items from eBay and major auction houses from the US, and I can think of one $150 item that never showed up. However, I did order some cards from 1911 from a major US auction house, over $1000 total, and I came home one night after work and they were sitting on my front porch, in plain view. I got lucky there.

As for you saying sellers don't care, that is fair too. Sellers certainly have the right to choose their potential market as they see fit for their business. My point was wondering if American sellers actually know what eBay's GSP charges, and that it could impact a potential customer. I think you are telling me you are aware of it, but it's not worth the hassle to do something else.

Got it, question answered. Thanks all...

Last edited by Stampsfan; 09-19-2017 at 01:05 PM.