NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-17-2006, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Default newer question - 1966 East Hills Pirates set

Posted By: Bryan Long

I just picked up this because I have never seen them before. Plus, it is kinda a cool looking set. My question is . . . rarity? price tag normally? Any help would be great.

I wasn't going to post this because it is so new, but I figured that some of the regional collectors on the board may have some info for me.
Thanks.
Bryan Long

Old 08-17-2006, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Extremely common for some reason, maybe a hoard of them was found many years ago???? They have always been cheap for the age, especially the Clemente. I used to see the complete sets of 25 cards for about $10-$20 a set at card shows in the 1980s and they havent seemed to go up too much since.

The complete set now high books for $60 (2006 SCD), commons $2.50 ea. in NRMT, Stargell and Maz $10 NRMT, Clemente $30 NRMT.

Old 08-18-2006, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Maybe a hoard was found. I just found it odd that I have never seen these things before. Oh well, at least the set is nice looking and retro. It will be a strange addition to my collection.
Thanks again,
Bryan Long

Old 08-18-2006, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Brian,

I've been looking for a Mazeroski type for my collection, thanks for reminding me about this set! What are the cards dimensions? They look to be larger. Additionally, why are Johnston Cookies Braves so dirt cheap? Has there been a hoard found of those, or are they easily reprinted?

James

Old 08-18-2006, 10:08 AM
Administrator

I'm not sure of the size of the East Hills cards. I do know that they are bigger as two of the cards in the set are graded by PSA and are in bigger holders. I do not have a book at home that has them in it so I am lost on the set until they arrive. As for Johnston Cookie cards. I assume that maybe they have the same fate as the East Hills set. Maybe a hoard has been found. I also wonder how many of these just do not have the mainstream appeal to collectors. Obviously, strange oddball sets have the fans when it comes to 40's and lower in years, but I think when you start getting up from the 50's and beyond that they lose their luster in a way. I may be way off here but that is just a thought.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Bryan,

I agree that they do lose their luster to an extent, but I feel that will change as the years go on. Bread labels and hot dog cards, while rarer, are multiplying in value. If I wanted an affordable Aaron rookie, why not go with his 1954 Johnston Cookies? There are many times the amount of his Topps rookie available than that, plus it's just as pretty.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

The cards are bigger and measure 3 1/4" x 4 1/4". There had to be a major stockpile of these found at some point because they were supposedly only distributed at a single shopping mall in Pittsburgh in 1966.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

about 3.5 by 4.5 or so..........

Old 08-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Administrator

I completely agree with you. I do think that these cards will catch up to the market at some point. The only thing that I can come up with would be that the shopping center made a ton of these things and only were able to pass out a small amount. Years after, of course, the stock pile was found and the rest is history. I find it odd that I have only seen these cards now - granted I have not paid too much attention to oddball cards until recently, but I had really thought that I had seen it all.
If anyone has a Johnston Cookies set I would be more than happy to take it off your hands.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Griffin's

In the mid/late '70's East Hills sets were plentiful and cheap- I must've had 15 sets, and even on the West Coast they were very, very plentiful. I suspect they were overprinted and underdistributed, leaving hoards of them.
Same deal on '64 Topps Giants- even in the late '70's you could get them at Dodger Stadium 25 for a buck.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Do you think that still is the case? Are there tons of these sets piled in the back of closets somewhere? Do they exist in collections but are never brought up? Just seems strange how a set that was only published for one shopping center in PA for one year managed to make its way to West Coast in huge numbers.. I guess that really is a question that cannot be answered.
Thanks everyone for the responses - I now know more than I knew yesterday

Old 08-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I live in Nebraska and have seen these sets for a long time by various dealers at local card shows. I'm not sure what the deal was, but there are still (relatively speaking) tons of these sets out there.

Old 08-18-2006, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Not to hijack this thread, but can anyone help me as to why Johnston Cookies prices are so low?