NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Default There Is A Thief and a Sucker Born Every Minute and they always find ebay

Posted By: Richard S. Simon

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=53&item=160231189279

that infamous estate sale find,,, geez are there that many stupid people out there?
--

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 04-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Default There Is A Thief and a Sucker Born Every Minute and they always find ebay

Posted By: Mark

14 Bids on that? Seller has 1 (one) feedback?

ANYBODY (age 8 and above) could create a forgery at least that good or better. Why does ebay terminate some auctions, and allow others (like this) to run their full course?

Pathetic...

Old 04-20-2008, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brock G.

I was thinking the same thing Mark. I tried listing a Cal Ripken Jr auto'd 8X10 a few months ago that was 100% legit and it got shut down within an hour and somehow this fake runs its course. I dont get it.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Man, that's some expensive toilet paper. I think I'll stick to the regular kind that's sold in roll form; my posterior needs more coverage than the mere sliver offered in that forum.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Zinn

Re: Cal Ripkin, Jr.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1201893556/Cap+Ripken+Being+Pulled+Off+eBay

Old 04-21-2008, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brock G.

Zinn, thanks for posting that. I guess I am not the first to have that happen.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Brock...

That is disturbing, how ebay pulls the authentic Ripken items. I don't know how he/his people have the power to control what ebay sells, but there is obviously some sort of agreement in place.

Regarding this Jackie Robinson signature (which is trash), it is a different scenario. Often, ebay will terminate an auction in which an autograph looks suspect. I have been "watching" many of these auctions, only to see them disappear (when going into "My Ebay"). Lots of fake Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle and even Koufax pieces listed on Ebay get pulled, as they do have some sort of "watch dog" agency in place.

But when a piece like this Robinson cut makes it all the way through, it makes me wonder whether Ebay thought it was ok, or if somebody just missed it. It seems very random, how some of these laughable pieces make it through to the end.

If anyone else on the Board knows of ebay's specific policy or procedure for removing fake autographs.... please advise! Does Ebay employ PSA or Spence (or even Rick Gizmo?) Or do they have an "authentication guru" of their own making these decisions? To me, the whole thing seems very "hit and miss", to coin a baseball cliche.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Yes, eBay does use at least two people that I know of to help them spot the bad items. I am one of those people (although it's only on occasion that I contribute my opinions). The other fellow is well-known and well-respected. I'm not sure it is in my place to reveal who it is, but he's a good guy. No guessing games, please. eBay employs a fellow to handle these matters, and he in fact also monitors this forum from time to time. He's a very nice fellow.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

Good to know, Jodi...

Well, I guess the Jackie Robinson "toilet paper" managed to sneak through without being spotted (for lack of a better term!) I am sure that the authenticator Ebay uses would have "flushed" this one, had he seen it in time.

One more question for Jodi... I have seen Ebay terminate (void) an auction AFTER the auction has already ended. But I have never been sure as to why those auctions were voided (as Ebay never states a reason). Would something like this Robinson piece be subject to termination (and the sale voided) even if ebay discovered it a bit too late (ie. just after the auction ended?) Accolades to them, if so...

Old 04-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Administrator

I believe you have nailed it. They do their best to prevent people from being defrauded, but I'm sure that the man who they have on this has to deal with other collectibles as well. I don't know that for a fact, but figure it's a pretty safe bet. Neither the other person I mentioned or myself actually sits patrolling each listing for hours on end, but problems are mentioned if they come under our radar.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard S. Simon

Jodi FYI - if you are one of the people who can remove items from ebay, then there are more than two. You make 4 that I know of.
The seller of that Robinson piece has been thrown off ebay and I believe the buyer was notified.
--

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 04-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Administrator

That may very well be. I only deal with one of those individuals, though. Just keep in mind that I do not literally "remove things from eBay"; my opinions have been utilized towards a final action. Perhaps that's just a matter of semantics, but I suppose it should be spelled out clearly to avoid future confusion.