NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Default The Amazing Billy Werber

Posted By: James Feagin

Billy Werber is one of the two living players from the 1934 Goudey set. The other living player Linus Frey is alive and well in Idaho. They both comprised the left-side of the infield for the 1940 World Champion Cincinnati Reds. Mr. Werber is a living baseball encylopedia. He broke in as a rookie on a team the comprised of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, and a myriad of other Hall of Famers. He also led the league in stolen bases 3 times in the 1930's, and was an offensive force in the 1940 World Series. Not only that, Mr. Werber was the first ever hitter on the first nationally televised baseball game. If that isn't enough, Werber was the FIRST. ever All-American in basketball from the storied Duke program. At almost 98 years of age, Mr. Werber is alive and well in North Carolina. I sent him a letter of appreciation and autograph request to his home in North Carolina. I got this back today. Definitely very cherished by me!

James

Old 03-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

That's a real treasure, James! I wasn't aware of his basketball career ... I recently read where former shortstop and NL MVP Dick Groat was the school's first All-American ... I'm particularly interested in Bill Werber because I collect cards from the 1939-40 Reds teams that won pennants (and won the World Series in '40). For some reason, there don't appear to be any Play Ball cards of Werber (Play Balls are also missing Bob Feller, many Cardinals and all Cubs except Charlie Grimm, among others). The only card I've found of him from that era is a 1941 Double Play with Frank McCormick. I'm pretty sure there is a W711 of him, as well as several other team issued cards of that era. If anybody has one of these they'd consider parting with, I'm interested ...

Old 03-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

That sure is one ugly Goudey, James. Where'd you get it?

Glad you got the signature. Mr. Werber seems like a terrific guy.

-Al

Old 03-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

That is really cool...congrats....he seems like a great sport....hope I am when I'm in my 90's......